Pump out problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frgeorgeh

Vessel Name
Ten Knots
Vessel Make
42' Californian LRC
Marina came down to pump me out. Could only get a little foam and small Amt of liquid out. They gave up leaving me with full waste tank blaming it on low tide!?!?

They have a remote system with a main unit at office and a remote unit they wheel down and connect to sewage access at end of dock.

Anyone else heard of this kind of shenanigans?

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Blocked holding tank vent would be my first guess OR, the good one, your pickup tube in the holding tank is broken off. I think I'll put off my visit for a while...

The self-serve pumpout dock in our harbor does a very poor-- or no--- job of pumping tanks at low tide because of the height difference between the dock and the sewer connection on the pier above it. The pump is simply not strong enough. It works fine at mid to high tide.

However, this is a harbor with a tidal range of up to 12 feet or so. Fortunately the boat docks are all equipped with portable pumpout carts that work great so we never have to deal with the pumpout dock.

But tide can be an issue. So can a blocked vent as RTF suggests. So can a broken, cracked, pinholed, or corroded through pickup tube in the holding tank. The pump out system will develop suction only down to the first hole/crack/etc.

Ok. Did some more research and called PO.

PO said he never pumped out. There are two toilets, both Raritan PHE II's. There is also a Lectro/San onboard.

From what I can figure out, PO has been using toilets and then turning on a breaker labeled "Holding Tank". I turned on this breaker, heard Lectro/San come on and then saw bubbles come out from front starboard side of boat. This is exactly where the overboard Y Valve is located. It seems PO has not used the holding tank?!?!? I wondered why the holding tank pump out access was so hard to open. I guess this also explains why nothing came out of the tank when we tried to pump her out.

I will follow up with a picture of the Y valve and how it is currently set.

Regardless, I think I am in a pretty stinky situation. Ugh! I always thought I was a **** magnet. Guess this proves it! ?

Low tide could be an issue in some places, but highly unlikely to be in Fort Lauderdale, where you are. You're only dealing with 2-3' tide depending on where you are.

Low tide could be an issue in some places, but highly unlikely to be in Fort Lauderdale, where you are. You're only dealing with 2-3' tide depending on where you are.

Agreed!

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I would strongly suggest you move the Y-valve to the holding tank position and LOCK it in place or remove the handle ASAP. BIG $$$$ fines for dumping anything in the ICW.
Maybe the difficulty in attempting the pump out was due to the Y-valve position (For your olfactory well being, let's pray that was the problem). Baby steps my son, baby steps....

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I would strongly suggest you move the Y-valve to the holding tank position and LOCK it in place or remove the handle ASAP. BIG $$$$ fines for dumping anything in the ICW.
Maybe the difficulty in attempting the pump out was due to the Y-valve position (For your olfactory well being, let's pray that was the problem). Baby steps my son, baby steps....

Agreed and done!

Now we will see if a) I have right valve ID'ed, and b) see if holding tank works.

Ok. When I shut off what I thought was the Y valve the toilet - with just water - only flushed a short time and would not flush again. When I turned valve back water flowed in waste line. Seemed there was a lot of pressure.

More crawling and digging

George,

Been there, done that.

Welcome to boating - if you weren't self sufficient before, you will be now.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429145333.420677.jpgim learning! When ya got boat problems it's best to have a cold one and think the problem through. There's always tomorrow.

I used to have problems with mud daubers getting into my vent openings and closing them off for their nests when I was in the Palm Beach area. It's a bear to get them cleaned out. I finally changed all my vents to the screened type. I had the same problem with my holding tank pumpout because of them but no problems after changing the vents. Ben

I was trying to pump out the other day and wasn't having any luck . I had just rebuilt my y- valve and that was not pretty . Took me a while to figure it out , but the marina uses cam lock fittings and one of the male camlocks did not match the female and we were not getting a good seal . I went thru all of their old camlocks and finally found a match that gave us a good seal . The marina attendant said he had been having problems for a while .
Your problem sure sounds like a clogged vent . Good luck . Before I started working on my y- valve I did several wash outs / pump outs of the tank . It wasn't as bad as it could have been .

"I went thru all of their old camlocks and finally found a match that gave us a good seal . The marina attendant said he had been having problems for a while ."

Old boats have a 1 1/4 waste thread and similar sized ball.

The newer boats use 1 1/2 inch threads and ball.

Many marinas dont bother with the ball and adapter they just stick a flexible tapered suction fitting in the deck and pump away.

The 1 1/2 is the standard (for now) so a change out might solve cruising hassles.

If anyone suspects a connector leak might be the cause of problem (or just want to ensure a good seal) run some water from a hose over the connector / adaptor fittings at the boat.
It will prevent an air leak and can help troubleshoot by starting / stopping the flooding you will generally hear the leak start/stop

Found the holding tank. Tiny thing- about 14.5 gal.

Drawing out the waste system now. I'll post it up when done. Maybe it'll help someone else

Ok. Done crawling and I am 99% sure this is waste plumbing layout

See what u guys think...ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429218245.619482.jpg

Greetings,
Sphincter-reffic! Well, I suspect you're going to have to increase your holding tank capacity OR reserve the on board heads for "emergency" use only. Major donations to be made onshore.
What do other Californians have for sewage purposes? Hopefully more that 15 gallons...

Last edited:
So, having posted this layout, I have a question about regulations here in FL.
Is Lectra/Sans still legal Here to use on ICW AND NEAR SHORE

Am I possibly grandfathered in and legal due to age of system and boat?

Where can I find current regs?

Thanks as always!

Don't know about grandfathered-in back in your area, but there is no such thing here. When an area is declared a no-discharge zone, it is no discharge for people with boats built in 1898 and boats built in 2015. No discharge is no discharge. If there were exceptions, there wouldn't be much point in the rule.

A 15 gallon holding tank is very minimal in my opinon, particularly for a live-aboard unless you are planning to pump out your tank almost every day. Obviously if you're planning on using the shore-side facilities in your home harbor most of the time this will make a major difference. But there will still be those times when getting up in the middle of the night to get dressed enough to trudge up the dock(s) to the shoreside restroom is not very appealing. Or if it's raining hard. Much easier to use a toilet on board, right?

We have two holding tanks on our boat, one for each toilet. The forward toilet goes to an approximately 40 gallon tank in the bilge between the engines. The aft toilet goes to a 25 gallon tank in the lazarette. Unfortunately, the aft head is the one that gets used the most. A 25 gallon tank given typical use by the two of us can go as much as four days before getting filled up close to the top. If we had more modern toilets, Vacuflush for example, our toilet water usage would be less.

When we have guests, really the only time the forward head gets used, the 40 gallon tank is good for a week or more, depending on toilet use.

At least, when we are boating on our own which is 95% of the time, we have the forward head and its 40-gallon tank to fall back on if the aft tank gets filled up and we've not had an opportunity to empty it.

If all we had on the boat was a 15 gallon tank, it would render our boat almost unusable for anything other than a weekend cruise.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. Marin. Exactly. Except for the 3 mentioned zones but if Mr. frg intends to remain as a live-a-board where he is (in the Ft. Lauderdale area) he, apparently is free to condition his emission but if so I wouldn't want to be fishin'.

Greetings,
.... if Mr. frg intends to remain as a live-a-board where he is (in the Ft. Lauderdale area) he, apparently is free to condition his emission but if so I wouldn't want to be fishin'.

Me either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom