Running lights and owners manual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellico Bob

Vessel Name
Twilight Time
Vessel Make
1986 48' Californian MY
Hi everybody. This is my first posting and I need help. I am not new to boating having owned boats for 65 years but I still need help. My wife and I took delivery last Nov. of a 1986, Marshall built 48' Californian that had been badly neglected. Right now I need help finding an owners manual for that year Marshall built boat, (will pay to have one copied). I have a 1989 manual but that is from Carver and too many changes were made. I also am unable to turn on the running and anchor lights. They appear to be operated by some toggle switches in the electrical panel and a breaker. There are no switches at either helm.

Cant help with a manual, but turn on the nav and anchor light breakers and toggles. Check for power at the breaker then at the toggles. Remove the light covers and check with a voltmeter for power. its not unusual to to find corroded lights or the crimped wire connectors on a vessel that old. If nothing then you will have to hand over hand the wiring back to the breaker panel. Hunt for the green monster.

Thanks, Have no power at the light/lights and will work backwards to the breaker. Only have one breaker for all nav lights. Will pull the panel open and let you know. One of the toggles is marked running in upper position and anchor in down position. Other two are not marked. Thanks again.

Wait... there are different colored wires? Mine are all red.

Here's a copy of the Lower Station Electrical Layout from 1981.

attachment.php

There's lots more into here in the Californian Section, but they're not very clear. Zooming in helps.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s24/californian-owners-manual-technical-drawings-5532.html

I'd start at the circuit breaker panel and work out to find where the electrical break occurs. It could be as simple as a bad CB or a loose wire behind the panel.

First let me thanks everyone who took time to reply. As the saying goes "you can't fix stupid" and I take the prize. The running and anchor light is controlled by a toggle switch fed from a breaker. The toggle is a DPDT center off. When viewed standing at the switch it appeared in the up position when it was in the center off position. The mast head and anchor lights were both burned out. Therefore in the anchor or down position no lights. In the center off position no lights. I found the center off position when testing the switch with my meter and had no voltage except at the input terminal. Switch up/running lights and all the lights worked except for the masthead light that was burned out. Replaced the two burned out bulbs and everything works.

Back
Top Bottom