Interior Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tango Bravo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tango Bravo
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 44 (1978)
I own a 1978 Marine Trader 44' and want to lighten up the captains quarters and salon. It is all original wood inside and looks great but very dark to see at night even with the addition of lighting. Parquet wood floors and dark walls makes it hard to see at night. Anyone have any suggestions to lighten it up?

I was considering stripping the varnish off and acid washing the wood to lighten it. Also possibility of wainscoting.

RT I would have thought you would reply, "Try paint?"

Greetings,
Mr. TB. I would never suggest anyone paint teak in good shape. When I see a boat that has had the interior teak painted or wallpapered, the first thing I think is water damage (leaky ports, damaged/stained veneer). The veneer in a lot of vessels is paper thin so any attempt to strip and bleach would guarantee that you would be painting. Another option is apply lighter veneer over what you have but it is VERY difficult to do well.
Entirely your call if you want to paint but brighter/more lighting would bee my first and only suggestion.

RT,
That is exactly my dilemma. All of the teak inside is pristine. I may upgrade to LED lighting from the old jeweled lights I have now. Less drain on battery as well. Thanks for the input.

I agree with RT, improve lighting. I basically have the same boat, don't touch the wood.

I guess that settles it. LED lighting it is.

I also agree lighting is the way to go. I would look at i2Systems, Lumitec, and imtra. Just a few of the top of my head.

I would also like to change to LED.

I don't know what kind of light sockets my boat has however since I've never looked at the bulbs (and I'm 1000 miles from the boat currently).

Is there a standard socket that most boats have that I can just replace the bulb with and LED, or is it not that simple? Probably not...

Greetings,
Mr. O. And here I thought that light off the top of your head was a halo....

images

Lol. Somehow I knew that was coming.

?

I would also like to change to LED.

I don't know what kind of light sockets my boat has however since I've never looked at the bulbs (and I'm 1000 miles from the boat currently).

Is there a standard socket that most boats have that I can just replace the bulb with and LED, or is it not that simple? Probably not...

Yes. I think yours are G4's if I remember right. Not sure wether they're were side pin or back pin.

Wifey B: Not just lighting, but like tons of ways to lighten things up. Dark floors contrasting with light walls, upholstery, cabinets, are like the "in" thing. Certainly use more light and your walls are dark too so get creative with anything else you can. Put some unique lights that will get attention. Use some colorful pastel pillows on the furniture. Mirrors often can help too.

I had a friend who had a dining room that looked like a lawyer's office. Beautiful but ohhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooo dark and boring. She got some really cool pink (now I know you might not want pink but colors is the point) cushions for the dining chairs, put a runner on the buffet and one on the dining table. Used bright place mats. Totally different room. You can take the darkest, most boring, old wall and hang one painting or picture to be the center of attention and the wall then just frames it nicely.

ok....That was funny

The salon seating is dark paisley red from Dracula's House of Fabric. So updating the cushions is something I plan on doing as well. Might even take it out along with lower helm and place a light colored sectional along starboard side. Other trawler owners said I should keep it original. But they don't make the payments. JS

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429133595.068414.jpg

Like this?

Sorry Tango, not trying to hijack.

Cardude that is what I am thinking of for replacements. Only need the fixtures as well.
Anyone want to buy original jeweled glass lighting fixtures to fund my LED project?
Has anyone just replaced the bulbs with LED conversions? BTW I have 16 fixtures for sale..

Well, at great risk to myself, I will offer a paint suggestion. Interlux has a paint that looks dynamite on interior surfaces. It's called Grand Banks Beige, and with teak frames, doors, and accents it is a smashing look. It will also lighten the room without giving the white look. Just a suggestion. Don't forget to get "warm white" LEDs.

RTF, I have an old stage light that uses a 500w bulb. That may work but I have to admit, I love the sailing hanging light. Bwhahaha

I was just taking about replacing the bulbs. Why do you have to get all new fixtures?

The salon seating is dark paisley red from Dracula's House of Fabric. So updating the cushions is something I plan on doing as well. Might even take it out along with lower helm and place a light colored sectional along starboard side. Other trawler owners said I should keep it original. But they don't make the payments. JS

Wifey B: You'll be amazed what that will do. Even tossing some pillows onto the casket like seats can bring the body back to life.

I am going to look into replacing the bulbs first cardude. If it looks good, then I will go with it.

Pillows may work, but its time to retire the "casket seating"

I have just done a small makeover on the mighty Sarawana, to bring her up a bit.I have the usual combination of Teak & Teak with Teak trimmings.

What I did , & I am very pleased with the effect was to replace all the lights with Warm LED's and also use Strip LED's under the counter top lips, these strip LED's are as cheap as chips easy to install and pick up the Teak beautifully when on.

The trick is to install then so you cannot see the directly when the power is on, what you get is that diffused indirect light, looks great.

Mind that is only good for night time, so if you want to lighten it in day light, maybe some soft cushion colour as Wifey B said. At the risk of incurring RT Firefly's wrath I have to agree with Don, I have seen some very good paint jobs on Teak. Especially where they use the light paint to pick up the Teak, that is not painting the whole cabinet say but the inner panel leaving the Original teak to frame the paint.

Cripes I am starting to sound like an interior decorator!

we replaced all nav & exterior/interior lights to led, man that was no cheap. Don't mention candle power, RT will have something so off the wall it'll hurt eyes reading it. Holly crap, I did't read all the comments - he did cover it!

Back
Top Bottom