Sliding window leak...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Damaged veneer from a leakin' slidin' window. Is there a fix for this?

Attachments

• Damage 001 (1280x960).jpg
    Damage 001 (1280x960).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 84
Mine have aluminum frames, there is a weep hole or slit to allow water to drain to the outside if the slits get crudded up and plug the water will drain to the inside. They are easy to clean with a piece of wire. But plug fast in Louisiana's high rainfall and heat that grow algae slime. I finally had covers made for the windows. Easy to remove when cruising, but keep the water off.

Attachments

• Gumbo Window covers 001.JPG
    Gumbo Window covers 001.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 75
  • Gumbo Window covers 006.JPG
    Gumbo Window covers 006.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 76
The window is fixed. I'm concerned about restorin' the damaged veneer.

I'am going to use Howard's Feed-N-Wax on my interior teak and have a faded water stained area that it was recommended for.

The window is fixed. I'm concerned about restorin' the damaged veneer.

It almost impossible to repair water damaged veneer without replacing it. And then it can be difficult for anybody but a professional to color match the surrounding old finish.

You might consider paintng the area.

Try coating the water stained area with mayonnaise, let it sit for a day or two before wiping off. The mayonnaise serves as a medium to hold oil against the dry veneer, should bring color back, although not perfect, but certainly better than paint.

Try coating the water stained area with mayonnaise, let it sit for a day or two before wiping off. The mayonnaise serves as a medium to hold oil against the dry veneer, should bring color back, although not perfect, but certainly better than paint.

Must admit haven't heard that one before. I think I will give it a try to see if it really does make a difference.

Getting back to Ancora's original question, I had a similar issue with water damage. I had a go at removing the effected laminate, using a heat gun very carefully together with a small spatula, it came off quite well.The mighty Fein also was a help.

As has been noted the real skill lay in matching the new teak laminate sheets to the existing teak.I bought quite a few random sheets and tried to find the best match I could.I was reasonably successful, though I don't think any self respecting shipwright would hire me.

Will be tryin' the mayonnaise this week-end as it is openin' day and we'll be on the boat for four days.

One other trick is to try olive oil and salt. Mix the two to a pasty consistency so that the solution holds on a vertical surface. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Wipe with a towel. Attached are pics of my actual results from 2 weeks ago. It was a spot test but may be a nice bandaid for you. Results may vary. Consult your doctor before trying. If you experience dizziness or sudden death, consult your doctor immediately. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429056970.610234.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429056982.575996.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429056995.226985.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom