Cat 3208 starboard engine quit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an observation after spending couple days in bilge looking around: the external racor filters are in a tight, horrible location.

I suppose it is possible to put longer hoses on and move them to an easier to access location. Wondering how big a job that would be.

Can't believe no one has done it before now. UGH!

Just an observation after spending couple days in bilge looking around: the external racor filters are in a tight, horrible location.

I suppose it is possible to put longer hoses on and move them to an easier to access location. Wondering how big a job that would be.

Can't believe no one has done it before now. UGH!

Hmmm... If they're that difficult to get to, then maybe the PO didn't replace them as often as they should have.

That would be one of my first/next projects - to at least get them replaced ASAP. After that (or in concert with) look at getting them moved to a more convenient location. If something is too hard to get to, the preventine maintenance may be too infrequently done as well.

Hmmm... If they're that difficult to get to, then maybe the PO didn't replace them as often as they should have.

That would be one of my first/next projects - to at least get them replaced ASAP. After that (or in concert with) look at getting them moved to a more convenient location. If something is too hard to get to, the preventine maintenance may be too infrequently done as well.

Agreed. Seems they should be within 3 ft of primary filter. By those numbers I could at least get them inboard of the engines where I have some room to maneuver.

Now all I have to do is crawl back down there and see what model they are. ?

FR G, the Admiral tells me your books are in the mail. Let me know when you get them.

Agreed. Seems they should be within 3 ft of primary filter. By those numbers I could at least get them inboard of the engines where I have some room to maneuver.

Now all I have to do is crawl back down there and see what model they are. ?

The Racor primary filter doesn't need to be located in proximity to the engine mounted secondary filter. My Racors are mounted near the tank outlet, alongside the inboard side of the tank. It's probably a 5-6 ft hose length to the lift pump on the engine stbd side, then to the secondary filter on the engine port side, then to the high pressure pump before the injectors.

The Racor primary filter doesn't need to be located in proximity to the engine mounted secondary filter. My Racors are mounted near the tank outlet, alongside the inboard side of the tank. It's probably a 5-6 ft hose length to the lift pump on the engine stbd side, then to the secondary filter on the engine port side, then to the high pressure pump before the injectors.

Mine sit in the middle of a bulkhead, behind the engines dead center.

Well, there's a new sheriff in town. Gonna be some changes for the sake of my old back!

Nope, not acceptable!

The Admrial (Betty Jo) has not yet promoted you from bilge monkey to boat boy, so toughen up, put a back brace on and get back to work! :ermm:

Betty Jo, opps the Admiral will inform the TF staff (the rest of us) that you have been promoted!:socool:

Quit your cry'in and get back below!:D

So, I will be changing out the primary racors for both engines this week. Questions:
1. I know I have to top off the racors with fuel. If I change the secondary filters - mounted on the engine, do I fill those with fuel too?

2. I am assuming I have to shut off fuel before removing secondary filters. Do I also have to do something similar when changing engine fuel filters?

Spank u very much ?

Nope, not acceptable!

The Admrial (Betty Jo) has not yet promoted you from bilge monkey to boat boy, so toughen up, put a back brace on and get back to work! :ermm:

Betty Jo, opps the Admiral will inform the TF staff (the rest of us) that you have been promoted!:socool:

Quit your cry'in and get back below!:D

That's some tough love right there. The Admiral loves it!

So, I will be changing out the primary racors for both engines this week. Questions:
1. I know I have to top off the racors with fuel. If I change the secondary filters - mounted on the engine, do I fill those with fuel too?

2. I am assuming I have to shut off fuel before removing secondary filters. Do I also have to do something similar when changing engine fuel filters?

Spank u very much ?

1) Yes secondary filters must be filled with fuel too.

2) Yes you should shut the fuel valves off when changing either of the. You may be able to fill your racors from the tank by gravity feeding if they're in the right place.

2) Yes you should shut the fuel valves off when changing either of the. You may be able to fill your racors from the tank by gravity feeding if they're in the right place.

This can work quite well. The new tank and fuel system installed by the previous owner of our boat the year before we bought it operates entirely by gravity. The only pumps in the system are the lift pumps on the FL120s and Onan generator.

When we change the Racor filter elements, we don't have to bleed the fuel system at all. I use the drain/transfer valve on the closest fuel tank to fill the filter housing to the top, put the lid on, and that's it. When that filter's engine starts it apparently "bleeds" itself as there is no stumble or hesitation.

This is NOT true of the two filters mounted on the FL120 itself. While we converted them to spin-ons years ago to get rid of the old multi-part cannister filters, and the spin-ons can be pre-filled with fuel to greatly reduce the bleeding effort, the filters and then the injection pump need to be bled in order.

We do not need to bleed the injectors themselves, however.

This can work quite well. The new tank and fuel system installed by the previous owner of our boat the year before we bought it operates entirely by gravity. The only pumps in the system are the lift pumps on the FL120s and Onan generator.

When we change the Racor filter elements, we don't have to bleed the fuel system at all. I use the drain/transfer valve on the closest fuel tank to fill the filter housing to the top, put the lid on, and that's it. When that filter's engine starts it apparently "bleeds" itself as there is no stumble or hesitation.

This is NOT true of the two filters mounted on the FL120 itself. While we converted them to spin-ons years ago to get rid of the old multi-part cannister filters, and the spin-ons can be pre-filled with fuel to greatly reduce the bleeding effort, the filters and then the injection pump need to be bled in order.

We do not need to bleed the injectors themselves, however.

Yep, I've never had a problem with our Lugger. I just fill the on engine filter to the holes, put it on and pump the lift pump primer for 10 or so seconds (ours doesn't get hard). The engine starts perfect every time.

Spank u very much ��

Yes, and yes. The main fuel shut-off may be a whole-system valve; stopping it from entering the Racors will likely stop it completely everywhere... but you also may have and innie and an outie valve on the sides of the Racors.

If the latter, then closing the Racor outie will keep the line itself -- from Racor to secondary -- mostly full, so priming time won't be too bad.

Also, our Cummins guy always recommends filling the secondaries by using the priming mechanism, so they're filled with fuel that's already been through the Racors, so they never see unfiltered fuel. In our case, that's a lot less messy, anyway.

-Chris

You are now an expert at bleeding the fuel system.....

Call Mr Caterpillar- Bruce Hicks
(954) 661-3208
He lives close you and certainly can help you

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Call Mr Caterpillar- Bruce Hicks
(954) 661-3208
He lives close you and certainly can help you

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Good fella? Close to Lauderdale? I'll sure do that

I called him. Super nice but backed up with work. If u guys are in the Lauderdale area and need this cat mech better call earlier than later

He's the best in Cat 3208, thats why he's busy :)

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom