Getting new chain down the dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patemey

Veteran Member
Plan to replace my anchor chain with new.
The boat is down the ramp and at the far end of the dock.

What's the best way to lug 600 lbs of chain down the dock without screwing up the human body?

If your marina has good sturdy dock carts, one of these and three or four people will get the job done pretty good. That's what we did although we didn't have that weight of chain to deal with.

Depending on the layout of one's marina, it may also be possible to take the boat to a loading dock of some sort and load the chain straight from shore (back of the truck, whatever) to the boat. That's something we can easily do in Bellingham marina as it has a good sized commercial fishing fleet and so has piers and shoreside facilities for loading seine nets, big stacks of crab pots, etc.

We once saw a fellow loading a lot of new chain onto his GB 46 at the self-serve crane dock. Boat was in one of the slips facing the bulkhead and he and friend were passing the chain straight from the back of the pickup down to the boat's windlass.

Got a ramp near by? Back the pickup down the ramp bow in as close as you can. Pull the chain up through the bow sprit right into the locker. Use the windlass.

I haven't done it yet but was thinking two guys, each with a wheel barrow with half of the chain in each, one still connected of course. Even then 300 lbs may overload the usual wheelbarrow or "wheelbarrow operator" for that matter, might need three or more.

That's a good plan too Steve. This may be a good time to see if the Harbor Master wouldn't mind loaning you a couple of young guys with strong backs from the fuel dock. Might mention you have a $20 for each of them and possible an extra one for the HM???

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

You can leapfrog it down the dock with the help of a few friends. Take one end of the chain and then begin feeding it down the dock fire brigade style and pile it up where your line of friends ends. Then take the back end of the chain which is now at the top of the pile and repeat the process. Eventually you will get to your boat. The more friends you have, the faster it goes. You will also learn who your friends are. Howard

Good ideas all. I like the one with the fire brigade lineup.

I thought maybe if the chain was all on a large spool you might be able to get a wrecker with a long beam to lift it and hold it out over your bow--assuming you could get your boat close to a launch ramp. Then just spool it off into your chain locker.

I just did this three weeks ago.

I found two young people looking for work.

Paid them a hundred dollars each.

They used a couple of carts and had the chain piled where I needed it an hour later.

When you think about it the cost was less than an afternoon off work and a chiropractor visit.

Two carts is the method I used when I had to move 300 feet of 3/8" chain down the dock.

If you're planning on hauling out shortly, wait till you're on the hard. Then back under the anchor roller and power it up with the winch. That's my plan when I finish my refit.

Ted

Bringing the boat to the chain seems to me easy enough...even if a dingy or skiff is used..then it can be lifted out of the small boat directly up through the windlass just like retrieving the anchor and a thorough check of all aspects at one time.

bringing boat to haul out / launch seems simplest...

If not possible taking chain to bow of boat w/ dingy / skiff or run-about seems next best
- use 2 (or more) dinks if necessary vs 2 wheel barrows... loading aboard much easier if you can employ windlass.

I used the back the pick-up under bow roller, and winch it aboard. Did have to lift the bitter end to the windlass, and secure it in locker, but did not raise a sweat.

Does the marina have a travel lift? Does the travel lift have a small crane on it? can you move the boat to the travel lift bay and either transfer it from the truck there or pay for the crane? I bet it wouldn't e that expensive. I think our yard would be around $75 for that, since they're not hauling and blocking. every marina is different, but it wouldn't' hurt to ask.

I also did the same thing about 3 weeks ago. I usedthe fire brigade lineup to get my 550 feet of chain down to the dock. Then I laid it all out on the dock and painted the chain white every 20 feet, then bright orange every 100 feet. That way I know how much rode I have out.

Hey now, there's the solution. Load the chain in a 55 gallon ️Plastic drum with the lid cut out and you may be able to use a dolly singlehanded to get it to your ship.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Hey now, there's the solution. Load the chain in a 55 gallon ️Plastic drum with the lid cut out and you may be able to use a dolly singlehanded to get it to your ship.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

My chain came in a thick cardboard barrel.....

I nosed the boat into the lift well with the pulpit just over the bulkhead. Pulled out all the chain and marked it every 30 feet. Used the windlass to pull it back in. At the same time I attached the new anchor 25 Kg Rocna. Other than your anchor if you can do the same you will have very little weight to move at a time.
Rob

Rent a motorized moving dolly, they handle 1000 lbs and should easily handle the drum of chain. If needed pay a hefty helper. Use the windlass as mentioned to get the chain into the chain locker. Remember to put a three strand pennant on the bitter end.

I like the idea of bow into the lift well and use the windlass to bring it onboard. Seems like a good plan.

Rent a motorized moving dolly, they handle 1000 lbs and should easily handle the drum of chain. If needed pay a hefty helper. Use the windlass as mentioned to get the chain into the chain locker. Remember to put a three strand pennant on the bitter end.

If you have an electric windlass, take cool down breaks to avoid overheating your windlass motor......:whistling:

Lots of good ideas - thanks.
No convenient place to winch it from land, it needs to be brought down the dock.

I think I'll look into a cardboard drum on a 4 wheel dolly.
And of course - high tide!

I'd schedule to have a new chain installed during a regular visit to the boatyard and have them deliver/install the chain. It was difficult enough self-delivering the eight-foot Trinka for this old guy even with some help.

You could try dragging it along in sections, say 20' at a time.

600# is nothing to fool around with by yourself. A 55 gal drum of oil weighs in around 350# for comparison. Either use commerical grade dolly or snake it out by hand.

My method worked best of all.

Trading a couple Ben Franklins was extremely effective.

As Archie posted 600 lbs is allot of weight to deal with. A job for someone younger and stronger.

One more possibility if it's not done yet...

Check local contractor equipment rental for a "concrete buggy"...

These bad boys are used to handling high loads (1,000 - 2,500 lbs) over somewhat rough ground and are powered... :whistling: see Concrete Buggy

Shouldn't your windlass be able to load all your chain at the dock without overheating? If it overheats at the dock, what about at anchor?

I don't think it will overheat if I am pulling 200 ft, but the motor was getting warm when I was reeling in 500'. At least I hope not....

I have really enjoyed reading all these ideas. I moved about 300' of chain by myself using two dock carts. getting the carts up the ramp (one by one!) was a huge pain, those suckers were LOADED DOWN. If I had to move 600' I would be looking into some of these ideas for power equipment and definitely lessening the distance needing to be traversed!! I look forward to hearing how this works out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom