Hurricane plan ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in 1992(?) when Hurricane Andrew struck south Florida one thing I took away was that folks in trailers were toast. That's a given. But what I had failed to understand is that the folks in houses next to trailer parks were also decimated. So now I look at me, but what could impact me as well.

Each storm has lessons.

Andrew was exceptionally devastating to target areas, very quickly, very powerful. It was the exception to the storm surge being the biggest issue. Yes it destroyed some trailer parks in Florida City but look at what it did to Country Walk which was a fairly new development. It also revealed some serious construction issues and many suits were filed against the developer. Over 1500 homes there destroyed completely. The rebuild was very slow and not wood frame like those destroyed, but concrete.

You're so right about residual damage. That's a reason I don't like crowded anchorages in good weather. I don't know how well the other boats anchor (they may not be using the right anchor..lol).

Interesting to compare the four most expensive US Hurricanes. Andrew and Sandy were pretty much opposites. Andrew a tight, small, Category 5. Sandy, the largest Atlantic hurricane on record with winds covering 1100 miles but yet only a Category 2 when it hit the NE. Katrina was a category 3 when it hit and has been labelled the "worst civil engineering disaster in U.S. history". Between levee failures and Lake Ponchartrain's surge it was horribly destructive. Ike was perhaps the largest hurricane in history, before Sandy, at 600 miles. It not only devastated Galveston but also did damage inland and damage from Corpus Christi to Florida along the coast.

Interesting that the four most expensive hurricanes all caused their damage in different areas. 2005 was the worst year with Katrina in August, Rita in September, and Wilma in October.

You just do your best in hurricanes and ultimately protect yourself as well as possible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom