Small marine diesel engine pricing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Were getting ready to launch our 90/90 next year , after over a decade on the hard.

Even tho it was pickled its stuck, so may require some love.

The Volvo MD 3B is smooth and fairly fuel efficient , but at 3/4 GPH at 6.5K fuel cost no big deal.

35HP @ 2500RPM 13hp to move the boat 10hp extra for the eutetic refrigeration during the warm box cool down.

Of course I will take the heads off and see whats up, but looking at a replacement (its 40 years old) is also being done.

Interesting that a new 25KW gen set is priced $6,000 to $7,500 ( E -bay) yet the same engine with a marine tranny stuck on is double or more..

Of course there are probably 10X+ as many gen sets sold as marine engines , bit the marine markup seems CRAZY!

Looks like I will have to roll my own , if a replacement is required.

Last edited:
Sounds like the proverbial "Corvette Tax" we had to deal with in the automotive world.

Same engine, or parts therefor, in any other vehicle, almost 1/2 the price of the same when you add "Corvette" to the mix.:banghead:

Guess boaters get the same courtesy:nonono:

Good luck with the replacement.

OD

Fred

I enjoy following your posts. This one is a bit obscure to me... 90/90? (I sold to you and delivered the white painted Danforth many years ago.)

FF,
You could likely un-stick your engine w Sea Foam. Was called Risaline years ago. I've freed up several engines using this stuff. Put in the cylinder and let soak. May not be easy though w a diesel as many to most have a depression (cavity) on top of the piston. The Sea Foam may just puddle in the dish shaped depression on the piston crown and not get down the sides of the piston and to the rings ... where it needs to be. If one put lots of Sea Foan in the cylinder it should work but you'd need to remove the Sea Foam before cranking to avoid a 60-1 compression ratio. If a small tube could be inserted through the injector or glow plug hole it could be sucked out.

Good prices on Mitsu and Isuzu's can be had at Hatton Marine. The Klassen boys and all their products are at Hatton under The Youkon name. Seattle.

Rislone?
42587576-200x200-0-0.jpg

"How will you determine if a replacement is required?"

That will depend on what is found after I pull the heads (3) its a marine engine.

If a bit of scotch brite cleans up the cylinders , and there is little pitting , no problem.

IF water got into the crank area and the crank is seized , rusted , the effort of having the crank ground is no biggie , but the parts bill total from Volvo could easily come to the price of a new engine.

Assuming they still are in inventory.

Of course the 1-2-3 and 6 cylinder versions were all the same for decades , so there is hope for supply , but unlike DD , only one source for parts.

"This one is a bit obscure to me... 90/90?"

A 90/90 is a fully powered sail boat with a protected deck house.

As it will not be rated for racing a few extra hundred sq ft of sail is carried .

16251lbs Disp 737 sq std sail , over 1000sq light airs.

The 35 Hp Volvo actually creates 45 hp at full tilt. with only 3/4 gph fuel burn , there is almost 2.5 GPH of power available to climb big waves , or simply make a huge wake , great fun at times.

90/90 the best of both worlds for world cruising , except no oxygen tent for those that love em.

Attachments

• sea gypsy.jpg
    sea gypsy.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I suppose I am asking the wrong question in this thread but, has anyone found anything that can be used to winterize/store/ fog a diesel? Something that can be fogged, won't combust, & will preserve the engine in storage.

FF wrote;
"The 35 Hp Volvo actually creates 45 hp at full tilt. with only 3/4 gph fuel burn , there is almost 2.5 GPH of power available to climb big waves , or simply make a huge wake , great fun at time"

Why not call it a 45hp engine then? Since it is unless it's capable of even more. And I don't think it makes 45hp on 3 quarts of fuel. Takes about 2 gallons of fuel per hr for my 37hp engine to make full power. And that's short of 45.

"Why not call it a 45hp engine then? Since it is unless it's capable of even more."

Volvo rated the single at 15 hp , the 2 cylinder at 25Hp and the 3 at 35HP,

All use identical individual cylinders.

Guess they dont advertise peak 30 second HP like the car guys or marinizers..

The engine was selected as with decompression levers and space for 2 to crank from either end , the thought of an emergency start was the idea.

Back
Top Bottom