Weaver dinghy mounts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Now that our dinghy has used up its usefulness and is headed for that great marina in the sky, what do I use to remove the Weaver mounts to glue on our new dinghy? I'm thinkin' my Harbor Freight heat gun.:confused:

I'd call a company that installs them. They'd know.

I am in the middle of doing the same job. My pads need removed and re-glued. I used a little MEK on a paint brush and slowly worked them off. Everything I have read since then indicated that it can be done with a heat gun. My pads were about 50% glued before I removed them so they came off pretty easy. Everything I read says its a PIA to remove all the glue and mess. I will be using MEK sparingly to clean the pads and dingy before re-gluing the pads. If anyone has advice I could use some.

Pad removal

I did some more research ( some of which is on TF). I cleaned the glue off the boat today. I did it with acetone and a few rags. I read that MEK is pretty bad stuff. Either way I wore a respirator. The acetone cleaned the boat pretty well but barely touched the glue on the pads. I tried some MEK and it didn't do any better. Based on the failure rates of attaching these I just ordered new pad from Weaver. While I am waiting for them I am running a dehumidifier in the garage in prep for the glue up. I still have to figure out if I deflate the dingy or leave it filled. I have read suggestions on both methods. I think this is one of those deals where I have a 50/50 chance of it working. Maybe time to find and expert:confused:
The blackish areas on the pads and boat were no longer glued.

Attachments

• SDC13739.jpg
    SDC13739.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 124
  • SDC13740.jpg
    SDC13740.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC13743.jpg
    SDC13743.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 119
  • SDC13744.jpg
    SDC13744.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC13741.jpg
    SDC13741.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 112
I've had mixed to poor results trying to reattach those pads when they start to separate or come off. But, have not had a good, indoor area to work in where the humidity can be controlled and optimized. If they are old like mine were , I totally agree that you at least start with new pads especially on a new dinghy to give the best chance of a good outcome. Good Luck!

I am in the middle of doing the same job. My pads need removed and re-glued. I used a little MEK on a paint brush and slowly worked them off. Everything I have read since then indicated that it can be done with a heat gun. My pads were about 50% glued before I removed them so they came off pretty easy. Everything I read says its a PIA to remove all the glue and mess. I will be using MEK sparingly to clean the pads and dingy before re-gluing the pads. If anyone has advice I could use some.

Dave, try toluene.

The Weaver instruction book says to deflate the dinghy because the pads need to be clamped on when gluing. I found out why most dinghies have the pads close together. Went too far aft and could not get that part flat to put clamps on when gluing. Read the book first? That ain't no fun.

I'm sure you know already but somewhere I have read that you need to fresh glue. It was on this forum. Several people had found that using some older stuff, even though it was the correct glue, resulted in more than expected failures.

I'm sure you know already but somewhere I have read that you need to fresh glue. It was on this forum. Several people had found that using some older stuff, even though it was the correct glue, resulted in more than expected failures.

I don't know what the code is but I hope the '16' means 2016.

Attachments

• SDC13748.jpg
    SDC13748.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 111
  • SDC13747.jpg
    SDC13747.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 96
  • SDC13749.jpg
    SDC13749.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 105
The instructions that came with the glue emphasized the effect of high humidity on the process but did not cover the low humidity we have here in Southern California. I brushed on the glue and waited the prescribed time but the glue set up on me and would not stick.

The instructions that came with the glue emphasized the effect of high humidity on the process but did not cover the low humidity we have here in Southern California. I brushed on the glue and waited the prescribed time but the glue set up on me and would not stick.

That's good info I have humidifier running and am at 55%. Looks like I will have to ensure the humidity doesn't get to low.

I tried gettin' the pads off with my heat gun with no success. The Sicilian suggested we use her weapon of choice a sharp knife. I cut the pads off with the dingy fabric still attached and am in the process of gettin' the fabric to separate from the mounts. Gotta look for that tolouene stuff.

TBH, when faced with the same situation in the past, I opted to buy new ones for the boat. Getting the surfaced prepped well enough for re-gluing was impossible. It never stuck properly.

Is it possible to buy just the rubber pads without the SS steel parts?

Looks good to me. I am not gonna take a chance of losin' a brand spanky new dinghy with used pads.

That's good info I have humidifier running and am at 55%. Looks like I will have to ensure the humidity doesn't get to low.

What's this "humidifier" sorcery you speak of? Why would anyone ever want to increase humidity?

?

It would appear that the cement or glue needs a minimum humidity level to set properly, not too fast.
Read Ancora post, #10

Toluene worked for me

Is it possible to buy just the rubber pads without the SS steel parts?

I have new pads coming Wednesday. They come without the metal bars. Will probably take the plunge and glue them up on Thursday. I will take some pictures.

Glued up, crossing my fingers

Finished gluing the new replacement pads this morning. The instruction and the internet research wore me out! The picture that came with the pads show a fella gluing to an inflated dinghy, but then they have a line in the instructions that state you may want do deflate for better adhersion. I chose to glue them deflated. It allowed me to set the weight on the pads and made rolling the pads out more effective ( so I think). I found a couple hits on other forums that recommended installing deflated. I also attached a picture of the new swivel mount.

Attachments

• SDC13750.jpg
    SDC13750.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 108
  • SDC13752.jpg
    SDC13752.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 101
  • SDC13753.jpg
    SDC13753.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 102
  • SDC13754.jpg
    SDC13754.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 111
  • SDC13755.jpg
    SDC13755.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 106
Nice pics. Thanks for the update Dave.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

It certainly looks like you did it right. Hope you have a good result. I don't think one just gets "lucky" putting these on and your best chance is to take your time and do it right as it appears you probably have. Nice job. Like to hear if you are happy with it in the end

Glen

What is the minimum distance I could have between the pads?

I don't know what the minimum is but the instructions say put them as far apart as you can.

I'm tryin' to get the dinghy to lie flat where I want to put the pads but there is a 1 1/2" rub strake right under them. I'm thinkin' of puttin' shims under both side of the strake to make that part flat. 1/16" shims oughta do it. The hard part is gettin' the aft pad on.

Attachments

• Dinghy 001 (1280x720).jpg
    Dinghy 001 (1280x720).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 101
I'm tryin' to get the dinghy to lie flat where I want to put the pads but there is a 1 1/2" rub strake right under them. I'm thinkin' of puttin' shims under both side of the strake to make that part flat. 1/16" shims oughta do it. The hard part is gettin' the aft pad on.
I used 40# bags of pelletized lime that I had laying around. You could use sand bags. I set the bags under the pad area and then set a board on top of the bag so it was flat and solid. You could use bags of sand.
My pads look rally tight. I think they will hold up.

Last edited:

The instructions say to do the initial gluing with the tubes inflated. Then deflate and roll out any bubbles that may be under the pad. Once the initial gluing is accomplished I'm sure a variety of weighting solutions could be done easily...
The initial bond is already done.
Read the directions for both the davits and glue. It's pretty easy to follow...
I'm getting ready to do mine in a week or so..

Epic failure!

The rotating motor mount doesn’t work on my dinghy. I have a Zodiac RL275 with a 6 HP 4 stroke Tohatsu. The weaver pads are on the starboard side of the dinghy. When the dinghy is pulled up and the motor is rotated it only rotates 45 degrees due to interference on the dinghy transom and the tubes and the motor is lying on the wrong side. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

We inflated the dinghy and glued on the Weaver pads takin' into account the low humidity of southern California by cuttin' the wait times in half. With the help of the Sicilian, we placed the pads on the dinghy and by constant kneading got the edges to stick without deflatin' the dinghy. Put some weights on the pads just to be on the safe side. For those of you that are interested in the technical aspects; the weights are two boxes of hard cast .44 cal. semi-wad cutter, lead bullets. Gonna let the dinghy sit for six days before movin' it.

Attachments

• Dinghy 001.jpg
    Dinghy 001.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom