L/A Batts, Sealed or Unsealed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
I have 2 8D L/A unsealed batts performing start and house combined. That`s how older IGs were designed, and not the issue.
I just replaced one with an unsealed 8D, 225 Ah/1280CCA. The caps on the new one seem to better retain fluid than its predecessor. The original 2 were Century/Yuasa brand batts, 200Ah/1180CCA, I think Korean made,likewise the replacement fitted, could even be same mfr.
I can get another similar unsealed, or a Delkor sealed 220Ah 1300CCA, weight 59kg, closely priced. Anyone see a downside in choosing sealed over unsealed,even an advantage? Longevity and performance is more important than $, the greater the gap between changing 8Ds the better.
Note:
1)I mention weight because I believe it reflects the lead component. Batts are easily accessed in the ER.
2)I have a sealed N150(?=6D)/1150CCA 2 yrs old for the Onan genset, so far doing fine.
3)All 3 batts are served by solar, via controllers, the genset one does the least work of all.

Last month I was looking at a Group 31 'maintenance free' battery from a local battery shop. He told me that none of their batteries were 'sealed' and he proceeded to show me the flush caps fitted beneath the label. He claimed if the charging is done correctly, no servicing would be needed.

I'm not sure I buy that and I didn't buy the battery either.

Seems to be 2 "sealed" types, one totally flat on top no openings truly sealed; another has small flush plugs in Philips screwdriver pattern, allowing plug removal in unlikely need to top up.
My experience is solar charging causes fluid loss, much reduced by disabling monthly auto equalization by the controller. I figure it`s to combat sulphation, occurring in undercharged batts, which solar normally prevents.

Sealed seem to work best in autos with auto sized alts and especially auto brained V regulators.

If the batt is to be part of a house system , and deep cycled at times the use of an aftermarket boat V regulator will usually be aboard to speed charge times.

For that service adding water will be required.

A simple solution is the special batt caps that help return the gasses to water .

These require about 3 inches of space over the batts.

Never, ever use sealed FLA batteries for house use. They will lose water and fail over time. And I seriously doubt that any sealed FLA battery is a true deep cycle with the thicker plates required for long life.

David

Good point, Fred. I installed Water Miser caps to my house bank 4 years ago and am very pleased with the improvement. I check my water level every 3 months but find I only have to add water about every 6 months....and I don't have to add much. I won't own a LA house battery without them!

mainimage.gif

Water Miser Battery Vent Caps

Never, ever use sealed FLA batteries for house use. They will lose water and fail over time.
David

Yeah. . . Fine for passenger cars, but totally inappropriate for most boat applications, for the reasons pointed out.
:thumb:

Thanks to all who contributed. My instinct was like David`s expert opinion, stay with serviceable unsealed batts. Though I`m thinking the 59Kg (130 pounds) Delkor 8D must have some plate thickness. Unsealed L/A choice is getting limited, batts sold are increasingly sealed types.

Deep cycles will start most of our diesels just fine. I use a single 8D LA deep cycle to start both Perkins 4.236's. A couple GC deep cycles might fill the bill nicely for a start bank.

Last month I was looking at a Group 31 'maintenance free' battery from a local battery shop. He told me that none of their batteries were 'sealed' and he proceeded to show me the flush caps fitted beneath the label. He claimed if the charging is done correctly, no servicing would be needed.

I'm not sure I buy that and I didn't buy the battery either.

Hi Al

Sounds like you visited a Batteries Plus shop? I get all my batts from that chain. Their L/A are mfg by East Penn. Best I've had. Group 31 portals/flush-caps beneath the label do breath slightly. In near 7 years I've added slight amount of distilled water twice... just for safety sake. I've four 31 deep cell running both my house and as twin engine starters. They still operate as new - for charging and discharging. I also have 100% charged isolated spare batt (a 27 combo) for emergency if needed and an independent 27 starter batt for gen set starter that has solar trickle as well as charge from gen itself. Oh yeah, then I have a 27 starter in my tow behind runabout. I feel I'm pretty well battery covered.

Happy Batt Daze! - Art :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom