webasto vs marineair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Submarine deckhand

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rhiannon
Vessel Make
President
Hi.
I'm replacing our P.O.S cruisair self contained unit.
It seems that the marineair is actually designed to be a direct replacement for this unit.
Talking to our ships engineer, however... He says stay the f...k away from marineair its junk.

Has anyone who might be reading this found it to be true?

The alternative is webasto which I seem to only seem to see good things about, but it is slightly more expensive, and not a direct replacement.

So. Webasto vs marineair.
Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited:
Your ships engineer does understand that Cruise Air and Marine Air are basically the same company doesn't he?

I've had good service out of both CA and MA units. Both as chilled water systems, self contained units and split systems.

I can't recall having Webasto units on board but I've heard good things about them.

I found Webasto to be the least expensive option. Bought 3 during the October boat show time period when everyone is having end of season sales, and saved 20+% off the normal on line prices.

Ted

Yes. He is aware and derisive of the cruisair/marineair and most expressively derided me of purchasing a vessel with said units.
But what do you do. I love the boat.
I really like the look and interchangeability of the marineair with the old cruisair and will probably purchase. I just want to be sure our engineer isn't completely in accord with the majority on this.

Not a direct response, but have you considered Mermaid? My Cruisairs are very long of tooth and when the time comes that will be my choice. Excellent experience with Mermaid on two prior boats.

The new "Vector Turbo" systems -- from the Dometic brands -- seem to get good reviews from members in our owners club.

-Chris

I've had 2 marine air units on 2 different boats and never had a problem with any of them in over 10 years of ownership. Maybe being in freshwater makes a difference in longevity of the units. The 2 on my present boat are 28 years old and I've lived aboard since 2010 and the AC gets used almost 24/7 during the midwest summers. With my experience I consider marine air to be very sturdy dependable units and would most likely replace with same if a problem ever did develope.

Yes. He is aware and derisive of the cruisair/marineair and most expressively derided me of purchasing a vessel with said units.

Perhaps you need to educate him on just how common they are. Going out and specifically finding boats without them is almost like going out and specifically finding boats without Rule bilge pumps. Kind of limits your options quite a bit.

Easier to find boats with them and change them out after they fail if you feel that negatively about them.

Did the discussion ever come up that marine air is a newcomer and confused with the older marineairre (can't remember the spelling but it had several "r"s in it)?

Or did I just get lost in all the company buyouts?

The new marineaire seems to be the bargain basement, Webasto somewhere in the middle, and the turbo vector units from Domestic get high marks and won some awards.

Last edited:
Did the discussion ever come up that marine air is a newcomer and confused with the older marineairre (can't remember the spelling but it had several "r"s in it)?

Or did I just get lost in all the company buyouts?

The new marineaire seems to be the bargain basement, Webasto somewhere in the middle, and the turbo vector units from Domestic get high marks and won some awards.

The units I've got have 3 or 4 r in Airrrr.

It looks to me that Dometic make some cheap units billed as "retrofit" for West Marine. Defender sells them too. The Vector Turbo units sold by Dometic as Marine Air or Marine Airrrrrr are pretty good. I have had the Vector Turbo systems on two boats and they have given good service.

I'm not sure why Dometic has the different lines (including Cruisair). They seem to sell the same product with a different name (Vector Turbo vs Stowaway Turbo). I guess it must have something to do with their dealer network.

Back
Top Bottom