Size Does Matter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gulf Comanche wrote:

When I bought my boat I assumed my kids, friends etc. would be lining up to go boating. Wrong assumption, so right away I learned how to single hand her. Probably 75% of my boat time is solo, and I love it. Because I have a single engine, I had a bow thruster installed and am glad I did, docking is no problem so far. The drawbacks to solo cruising are that it gets rather tiring after 5 or 6 hours at the helm plus there's no one to bs with. Go for it.
Mike
Baton Rouge
Mike, maybe you could pick up some crew from a local senior center.* You might even find one that knows how to crew and is a good BSer too.

Budd, thanks for the info. I will have crew from time to time as I have a son and a couple of nephews that are big time boaters ( all out of work also), and probably more guests than I care for. I will be soloing most of the time however. By choice. Actually looking forward to it. It would be interesting to do a survey of the members to see how much of their time cruising is solo.

KJ wrote:

....I will have crew from time to time as I have a son and a couple of nephews that are big time boaters ( all out of work also), and probably more guests than I care for....

*We have sized boats by saying, drinks for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps 2 real comfortably.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Santiago, Colima, MX

Jay N wrote:

Have cruised solo many times over the years, probably the longest trip was Seattle/Petersburg one year when the wife was held up in Seattle.

What makes WESTERLY easy to single-hand at 37 feet, is that the deck level is not far off the floats.* Access to the dock can be made easier with thrusters to hold you in position.*

If you*anchor out most of the time, a larger vessel is doable.

Thanks you for the post.

"It would be interesting to do a survey of the members to see how much of their time cruising is solo."

Not quite SOLO!

The key here is a really good auto pilot , so in some areas you can leave the wheel .

If you travel in open sea areas a set of "Murphy Gauges" will monitor and or secure the engine if necessary.

Even with a set of eyeballs at the helm , most would have no idea what the engine instruments are indicating. Murphy knows!

I've not heard of "Murphy's Gauges". Can you explain further?

http://www.fwmurphy.com/company_info/

Will take you to their site. They offer the usual monitoring guages but also some active level guages for oil and coolant that have alarm circuit provisions that can be very usefull.

No I don't have any.

"have alarm circuit provisions that can be very useful."

Indeed by installing a securing system (just a box and pull cable ) you can decide just if an alarm bell will rung or the engine stopped. Great for folks that haven't developed a good scan technique.

The system uses a dedicated battery , so even with a total electrical failure , the mechanical gauges and system will operate.

Good info, thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom