old onan generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MARI

Vessel Name
MARI
Vessel Make
CHEOY LEE 39LRC
Good morning trawlerphiles:

I am hoping to repair an old Onan MDKDJ 3Cyl. 8Kw diesel generator. It is aboard a 39LRC Cheoy Lee 1976 trawler. I don't know how the previous owner got it in the engine room, probably dismantled, but the oil plan no longer tolerates more welding and is leaking at the improper welded fittings and one corner.

I have cruised the web in search of parts to no avail. I guess this model is very old. Does anyone have one? If so, where do you get parts? Is there a newer model with the same size parts?

It is spec 26501C, series K890280338.

I plan to put spacers to lift it a bit, I think the vibration on the floor pan is the culprit.

Many of the older Onans have Kubota engines. Cummins now owns and services Onan. I would check with them. They have serviced my 1996 Onan with the Kubota engine and supplied parts with no problem. Good luck, Howard

Try a Google search for "custom onan oil pan" . Several places came up listing surplus onan pans. You will likely need the engine model as opposed to the generator model.

Ted

It's a Kubota D950. Oil pan should be the same as a mini tractor engine. Check tractor shops.

Kubota engines are quite common in large reefer trucks.

Take off the pan and go visit.

An older engine like yours may be far too old to be still in use , but many reefer places have a back yard with old scrap.

A used take out engine may only be a few hundred bucks , complete , if they are still in use currently.

VISIT , do not call.

Onan built most of the early engines

Parts are probably not supported by Cummins for this engine. Long term the best option is to replace it with a more modern generator. My 8 kw onan was a twin, must be an older version? You might try googling the part # for the pan, that's how I found a fuel shut off for mine.

Last edited:
8.0 mdkd is a fairly modern machine. Built from mid 80's through the 90's. So more modern than the mdj series of the 70's, which are 1,2 or 4cyl engine made by Onan. Mdkd is 3cyl kubota.

Last edited:
As previous posted MDKD is a Kubota 3 cyl engine. If you're looking for a used pan, go to Ebay there are a number listed. But you do need the part number for the pan to make sure you get the right spec. part for your engine.

My MDKD 6.5Kw is a good machine, it`s well worth resolving your issues and keeping it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom