Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Al! I laughed so hard I scared my poor old cat.

I think his are Vacu-Bless! They don't use raw water or fresh water...they use holy water!

Be careful how deep you might get into Hot Water! Eyes are watching with ears listening. Just ask for forgiveness... that works! :thumb:

Using fresh water as a purging flush before a period of non-use should control the smell, right?

That's what we do. Our boat has a pair of Groco Jurassic Model EBs. They are raw water flush. When we aren't using the boat we keep the seacocks for the raw water feeds to the toilets closed (they're easy to get at) and we run fresh water through the toilet and the lines to the holding tanks before leaving the boat to go home.

Once we started doing this we have no smell problem at all when we start using the toilets again even if they've been sitting unused for several weeks.

Not having the Electrosan, if you switch it to freshwater, does this damage the pooper unit? Or do you just keep adding salt?

Oh and thanks Al! Now my keyboard has coffee in it.................:)

AS-D, If he switches to a fresh water flush, he would need to use the salt feed all the time for the Electrosan to work. It takes chlorine out of the salt to kill the poop bugs.

Fr. George, does the boat have a holding tank as well as the Electrosan? If you get to the Keys, and you should, you won't be allowed to discharge treated waste. You'll need to hold it onboard until you can get it pumped out or until you can legally treat and discharge it.

I think his are Vacu-Bless! They don't use raw water or fresh water...they use holy water!

Ha! I know one thing, seat is so dang small a seat that if u scoot fwd enough to do serious biz ur peeing on the floor! One of em is gonna have to get changed out to a man size. ?

And smell was not a problem today. Must have had sea water sitting in pipes a while.

It sure does flush a long time.

New business: insurance was bound today, marina slip obtained, captain secured for first passage to advise and cover me in emergency.

MOVE DAY TOMORROW. First night in our new home tomorrow night. So excited!!!

Greetings,
Mr. frg. WHOA...WHOA....Way too much information...

awwt.gif

Come on now. Everybody's gotta poop!

Ha! I know one thing, seat is so dang small a seat that if u scoot fwd enough to do serious biz ur peeing on the floor! One of em is gonna have to get changed out to a man size.

Gives new meaning to the term "holy crap"! :D :facepalm: :whistling: :hide:

New business: insurance was bound today, marina slip obtained, captain secured for first passage to advise and cover me in emergency.

MOVE DAY TOMORROW. First night in our new home tomorrow night. So excited!!!

Lots happening fast for you and everything falling into place. Great to hear, George and Betty Jo.

Oh Lord! Here we go. ?

Reminds me of the story of how I learned my parents were so religious. I'll have to tell you that one someday! :angel:

I'll feed this but remember you guys started it!

Why can't a Preacher fart in church?

Cause then he'd have to sit in his own pew!!!

Seriously though, As we move forward, I want to post the mechanical and technical stuff I either need help with or want to comment on in a place where it will do the most good.

Any suggestions on where and how I ought to post these? Since I have a Californian, I was thinking in there. I know we have separate forums for all kinds of stuff though, i.e., engines, and other systems so, some advise from the experts please so my mistakes and successes can be helpful for as many folks as possible.

Thanks!

There are folder sections for the main topics having to do with boating. So if it's an engine question you can put it in the power systems section. Electronics and electronics have their own section, anchors and anchoring, and so forth.

If you are just accessing the forum through "New Posts" you won't see these. Open "Trawler Forum" and scroll down. You'll come to them.

...and if you run into issues or questions that pertain to Californians, like interior trim, replacement windows, serial number issues, newly discovered Californian reviews or articles, feel free to post them in the Californian Section.

The nice thing about this forum's setup is all posts on boating are listed in the "Trawler Discussions" list on the right side of the page for all to see.

Be aware that if you switch your toilet(s) to fresh water, they will be drawing from your fresh water supply which is whatever your boat carries in its tank(s). Depending on your fresh water capacity this could be problematical on a longer cruise. If you are planning on marina-hopping or taking relatively short runs during your boating career then it may not be an issue. But it's something to be cognizant of.

Also keep in mind that a good water maker would be a good thing to look into. Takes the worries and cares down and we know each day has it's own shares of cares.
Blessings
Jim

I think the best of all is a selectable fresh/raw water flush. In my experience, using salt water flushes isn't a smell problem if it doesn't sit unused for a few days. Using fresh water as a purging flush before a period of non-use should control the smell, right?

Great advice.

Congratulations also.

I had planned on doing that before i got the idea to change to Purisan.
Which sounds strange coming from me, since I scrimp to save nickels, while throwing dollars away.

Where is Spanky when you need him?

Anyway, the T handle will give you options. I also have a T handle on the outflow side, one leg to holding tank, the other out to thru hull.

Good system, though it would be better if raritan went into better detail on problems and how to fix and or avoid.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428846421.327533.jpgnice pic of Patrick on the boat in our new slip.

Turned the air to "Alaska" setting last night and slept like babys. Our first night on Ten Knots.

How blessed we are!

View attachment 39117nice pic of Patrick on the boat in our new slip.

Turned the air to "Alaska" setting last night and slept like babys. Our first night on Ten Knots.

How blessed we are!

That's an awesome shot George!
Beautiful backdrop.

The two of you are truly blessed, and deserving of the rewards bestowed upon you. Your hard work and sacrifice served the community, and especially the first responder community well, and I'm sure you'll continue to help now that you're settling in.

Enjoy your time aboard friends.

OD

Last edited:
Here is Ten Knots snuggled in her MarinaImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428886057.437719.jpg

Is that the city marina just across from the port? Nice view!

Cool, we're just down at Royale Palm Yacht Basin.

That first pic you posted with the sunset was really cool. What kind of camera setting was that?

And congrats on the boat!!! Very cool!!!!

Last edited:
It's an app called sanpfish. Does a cool job. Just edit photos with it and post away.

Those turned out so good I am thinking of getting prints of them

It's an app called sanpfish. Does a cool job. Just edit photos with it and post away.

Those turned out so good I am thinking of getting prints of them

WRON WRONG. Sorry. The app is snapseed!

WRONG WRONG. Sorry. The app for the photos is snapseed!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom