Sharp Tooth Claw Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
I've always thought Claw anchors have really fat fluke tips that would have trouble penetrating anything except a soft bottom.

And I've also thought that the anchor sometimes dosn't come upright w all three flukes buried. That has a lot to do w the weight of the shank laying on the bottom but I suspect that the blunt fat end of the center fluke resists penetration freezing the rotation and keeping the anchor oriented on it's side acting more like a plow than an anchor w one side fluke sticking straight up above the bottom. I should have taken pics of it before I started grinding.

So I sharpened the flukes of my 33lb Lewmar Claw. I took off a lot of metal on the center fluke and some off the side flukes too. If it's too much (I don't think so) I can grind some more or get a new one. This one only cost about $100.

I do wonder if anybody else has done this. Seems the obvious thing to do looking at the very blunt fluke ends but I have not seen nor heard of anybody doing it.

Attachments

• DSCF1919 copy.jpg
    DSCF1919 copy.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF1917 copy.jpg
    DSCF1917 copy.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I misread your post title. I thought it was shark tooth claw anchor.
Now that would really bite into most bottoms.

When reading about anchors "skipping" across grass I have thought of welding a "stinger" just under the tip of my Delta. We used to do that on Ploughs for ripping hardpan in agriculture fields. I haven't tried it as I have very seldom anchored around grass. I don't think it would otherwise hurt the anchoring capabilities and might help on hard mud or sand
The picture below will give you an idea of the angle, the tips are about 2" wide and the ones shown slip over the end of a shank. but can be trimed to weld or simply cut from hard tool steel.
Might work on the tip of a claw?

Attachments

• Subsoiler tips 2.JPG
    Subsoiler tips 2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 181
Steve,
Here is one of the two flukes of a Northill lightweight anchor made for seaplanes and flying boats. Designed for maximum holding power and minimum weight. I'll put in a second pic to show the whole anchor. The Northill is very popular on the west coast of Canada, especially on the commercial fishing fleet. The best Northill's were made by the company "Northill" and were die cast of steel (I think). Most now are home made some even out of SS. The third pic is of a heavy home made SS Northill in a trawler in The Canadian Broughton Islands.

You're "stinger" seems similar to the lightweight Northill fluke tip. It's surprising more anchors don't offer similar devices. Perhaps most view such additions to an anchor would be something that would need frequent repair and be a problem for everybody. Just welding on a short piece of re-bar ground to a point is simple enough for one that welds or knows someone. Thanks. I store all such ideas and pull them out at times.

I remembered I do have a small genuine Northill in my garage. See 4th pic. It was on my 16' OB boat. Guess I can use it on my 18' now as I sold the alum 16'. OFB (Old Fish Boat) is a fan of the Northill type. I like them too except for storage and tidal or wind reversals. One fluke always is sticking up.

Attachments

• DSCF1596 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1596 copy 3.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF0492 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0492 copy 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF1924 copy.jpg
    DSCF1924 copy.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Well I found a sharp tooth Claw anchor. Right on the shelf.

Was at Harbor Marine yesterday and as I usually pass by the anchors I notived the Lewmar SS anchors and looked at their fluke ends. They were actually sharp. Not that you'd cut yourself w them but nonetheless sharp compared to all the galvanized steel anchors I've ever seen.

So no need to grind anymore. Just buy SS Lewmars.

Anybody have one that can comment on the sharpness of the flukes or their stellar performance?

Steve,
Here is one of the two flukes of a Northill lightweight anchor made for seaplanes and flying boats. Designed for maximum holding power and minimum weight. I'll put in a second pic to show the whole anchor. The Northill is very popular on the west coast of Canada, especially on the commercial fishing fleet. The best Northill's were made by the company "Northill" and were die cast of steel (I think). Most now are home made some even out of SS. The third pic is of a heavy home made SS Northill in a trawler in The Canadian Broughton Islands.

You're "stinger" seems similar to the lightweight Northill fluke tip. It's surprising more anchors don't offer similar devices. Perhaps most view such additions to an anchor would be something that would need frequent repair and be a problem for everybody. Just welding on a short piece of re-bar ground to a point is simple enough for one that welds or knows someone. Thanks. I store all such ideas and pull them out at times.

I remembered I do have a small genuine Northill in my garage. See 4th pic. It was on my 16' OB boat. Guess I can use it on my 18' now as I sold the alum 16'. OFB (Old Fish Boat) is a fan of the Northill type. I like them too except for storage and tidal or wind reversals. One fluke always is sticking up.

I like the looks of the Northill in the 4th picture, where can I find one?

dhmeissner,
They haven't been made for many years. I bought the lightweight aircraft one in the top two pics at a marine store in north Anacortes. I can't recall where I got the forged one but I suspect at the used marine store in Bellingham. Don't remember the name but just NW of downtown. Sometimes old anchors come up on Craig's List. Quite often actually.

Let me know the weight or physical size you want and I'll keep my one roaming about. PM me contact info. Or I'll PM you when I find one.

Hear many good things about the Northill and one bad. In a tidal or wind reversal the rode can tangle up w the fluke sticking up but it must be a rare occuracne as so many Canadians use them .. especially commercial fish boats. Seen some large fish boats in Petersbarg AK also. Most Northills on the commercial boats are welded up in a fab shop .. probably designed by measuring the genuine article. But some have obviously been made from a photograph .. or less. The genuine forged Northills are quite light for their size too. Some of the fab shop anchors are heavy.

Last edited:
Eric--- The marine consignment/hardware/surplus store you're thinking of in Bellingham was Pacifc Marine Exchange. Sadly, they closed for good last year.

As you know from previous conversations about the Northill, it was the anchor used on all the Boeing Model 314 Clippers as well as other flying boats of that era.

Marin,
Thanks yes Pacific Marine Exchange. I had heard it was closed some time ago and considerably later I found the store open. How long since you've been there?

Yes of course it was the flying boat anchor. The flying boats are 99% extinct but the Northill lives on by those that have faith in it. It's an easy anchor to put together in a non-folding product w really basic welding skills and equipment.

Manyboats/anchors Eric has just got to have a meal here, in Tiburon, CA on the bay:

Northills are the favored anchors for SF Bay herring fishermen for setting their nets, although was told by one (had several Northills and a couple of claws onboard) they're beginning to favor the Bruce/claw.

Trust me, the menu/meals are great at the Anchor Café (here before the lunch crowd).

Last edited:
Marin,
Thanks yes Pacific Marine Exchange. I had heard it was closed some time ago and considerably later I found the store open. How long since you've been there?.

We drive by the building every time we go to our boat. They are definitely closed. I believe they had their final sales event late last year or early this year.

Here is the company statement on their current website, which is still under construction:

"Mike and Mary Kimmich started Pacific Marine Exchange and Gallery in the winter of 1993. After 22 years, they closed their brick and mortar retail location to begin a new adventure, PacificMarine.com, an online retail bookstore offering thousands of marine and nautical titles as well as specialty items, charts and nautically themed gift ideas. We invite you to check out all the items on our Ebay store while the new website is under development."

About 1975 my Dad bought a Lightning sailboat, it came with a Northill like the one in the 4th picture. It, the Northill, is at my fishing camp I'll get a pic of it next time down there.

As luck would have it I picked up a Northill at the FSBO swap meet in Port Ludlow last weekend.. A pic of the anchor will follow. It was a gorgeous weekend up there.

img_326435_0_3cd4835be4c81abdc47c9a9a76b73867.jpg

dhmeissner,
A find to be sure. How big/heavy? My lightweight Northill is big for my boat. Think it would hold well if it set.

That's funny. My i-pad came up w your username all on it's own. Almost. I tried to type it and misspelled and your whole name poped up .. all of it as you see above. One moment I'm amazed how smart this thing is and the next amazed how dumb it seems. Mostly the latter.

Steve,
How big is yours? They come very large to really quite small.

Last edited:
Hi Eric,

It says 6-R on the shank. I have not weighed it yet. I don't think 20 bucks was too much to pay. I love the way the bar stows when not in use. Will be a good backup and easy to stow along with my Fortress.

The bar needs to be cleaned up and painted or hot galvanized but it's still pretty solid.

img_326587_0_0fe984324701e4e7ff5226eb50154ee7.jpg

img_326587_1_e1252ef69a58b360f939ed63f9998c65.jpg

Last edited:
dhmeissner,
Yes the folding stocks are a good feature. Otherwise stowing is a big problem.

Check out my flying boat anchor. The stocks each fold parallel on the shank. They lock folded out w a spring like tang that is a "T" like hook. Very solid when engaged and locked. The flukes also fold w the fluke tips up against the shank. My anchor has enough rust and corrosion so they don't move much but it probably won't take much to free them up. Trick anchor I'd say but even all folded up I don't think it'll fit in my anchor box. That would be a plus if it did.

Marin I see you. When I launched the boat someone made a comment about getting my "Willy wet". Good times ahead as she'll be wet for some time.

Attachments

• DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1589 copy 4.jpg
    DSCF1589 copy 4.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF1594 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1594 copy 3.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF1593 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1593 copy 3.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Never liked the Northill because of its bulk (even folded) and its tendency to foul the rode due to tidal and wind-direction changes. Can't see how it can comfortably fit on the bow either.

Never liked the Northill because of its bulk (even folded) and its tendency to foul the rode due to tidal and wind-direction changes. Can't see how it can comfortably fit on the bow either.
:iagree:

It looks like you ground all the galvanization off of the flukes. It also looks like you painted the anchor with a metal anti-fouling paint.

Mark,
My anchors are usually light enough (15 to 18lbs) that I can pull them up, unshackle them and stow them in a better place than on the bow. No anchor enhances the beauty of the bow of my boat and w/o one there's nothing to get tangled up on a piling or something more expensive. It's a matter of need and I have no need to hang my underwear out on the prominent end of the boat for all to see. So to speak of course.

Shrew,
I did and I did. Used my grinder and Barnicle Buster (cold galvanize) to replace the hot dipped zinc. And I've decided to gring off more metal and make the flukes even sharper. One. Of the advantages of the Claw is that it presents a considerably higher percentage of it's weight on the flukes.

Walt,
I think tangling the upper fluke when anchored is a rare occasion and even then it may take a lot of wind to pull the fluke out backwards. If it was much of a problem why would so many use them. Lots of fishing boats have Northills hanging on their bows in Western Canada.

I did a lot more grinding especially on the center fluke end. This should allow the Claw to penetrate and "dig" deeper than usual. Also the sides of the center fluke is what needs to slice sideways for the anchor to rotate to a vertical position and become fully set.

Testing this modified anchor will be not very revealing w/o a diver to insure it's vertical and fully set. The anchor will probably set and hold because it's big for my boat so an increase in performance will basically go unnoticed. Probably won't get a 50 knot gale to reveal good performance. Lets see if it will at least do basic stuff and insure I haven't ruined the anchor.

Attachments

• DSCF1939 copy.JPG
    DSCF1939 copy.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1940 copy.JPG
    DSCF1940 copy.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF1941 copy.JPG
    DSCF1941 copy.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1943 copy.JPG
    DSCF1943 copy.JPG