View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
TDunn
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Hi,

I don't live in Washington, but I grew up there and now live on Mount Desert Island. Nevertheless, I have a suggestion for a nice trip to take. Start by driving north on I-5 up to Anacortes. At Anacortes park your car and ride the ferry over to Friday Harbor and back. That is a great way to see the San Juans. After that drive south over onto Whidbey Island. Deception Pass at the north end of Whidbey is a must stop. Stand on the bridge and visualize your boat going through the Pass. It is kind of like going through the Lubec narrows on your way to Eastport except that there is more current in Deception Pass and the pass is incredibly beautiful. From Deception Pass drive south on Whidbey and take the Ferry from Keystone (Coupeville) over to Port Townsend. If you have to wait for the ferry, wander over and explore the old coastal fortifications at Fort Casey State Park. The fortifications are interesting and the views across the sound are incredible.

Once you are in Port Townsend explore the town. There are lots of places to stay in Port Townsend, but my favorite is the Manresa Castle. Leaving Port Townsend you have a couple of choices for your return to Seattle. You can make a side trip west to Sequim and Dungeness Spit (great walking out the spit although the strong west winds can be cool). From Sequim continue west for 15 miles to Port Angeles and then, if it a clear day, drive up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. The views from up there are incredible.

On your way back to Seattle you have several options. Option one is to drive south on the West side of Hood Canal, turn east at the south end of the Canal and head east to Belfair. From there you can drive up to Bremerton and take the Ferry back to Seattle, you can take the Southworth Ferry over to Vashon Island and then to South Seattle, or you can take route 16 and cross the sound at the Tacoma narrows bridge and then head back to Seattle on I-5.

Option two is to drive south past Port Ludlow (nice stop by the way for lunch) and then cross the hood Canal floating bridge and head either Kingston and take the Ferry back to Edmonds (10 miles north of Seattle), or drive south onto Bainbridge Island and take the Winslow Ferry back to downtown Seattle. You are likely to have to wait and hour or more to cross on the Winslow ferry.

That makes a really nice two day trip.

Other things woth doing are to drive up to Paradise on Mount Rainier. There isn't much snow up there this year and the drive up is spectacular. Don't do this unless the weather is clear and you can see the mountain from Seattle.

As others have said, if you are in Seattle on the first weekend in May Opening day is fun. Either at the Montlake cut south of the University of Washington or at the Ballard Locks. Both spots are crowded on opening day.

Gas works Park on the north end of Lake Union is also pleasant to watch boat traffic. Combine this with a lunch stop at Ivar's Salmon House on the north end of Lake Union. I prefer lunch to dinner there.

Todd
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote