Age of trawler dudes and dudettes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How old are you?

• Under 21....just a kid still...look, i'm 35 and still and always a kid

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 21-35....ok, a little older, working hard, dreaming.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 36-45....probably so busy with family and young kids no time for anything

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • 45-55....omg aren't these kids ever going to be on their own and why must I work so hard

Votes: 36 19.6%
  • 55-65....I can see retirement in my future...or maybe I can retire early...

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • 65-75....Finally peace. Wish my body could keep up with my mind

Votes: 52 28.3%
  • 75-100....pinching myself. Life is wonderful even when it isn't. I'm thankful for each day

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 100+....ok, couldn't resist...and no smart alecks pick this...that means you RTF..no no no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Will turn 65 in July my wife will be 51 next month. I retired at 56 and we took our sailboat to the caribbean for three years before heading back to land. Sold the boat,moved ashore. Just closed on our trawler last week and will be back on the water this month. Sometimes I will pick up seasonal work and my wife being a nurse gets work wherever we go.Will keep going as long as we stay healthy.

Will turn 65 in July my wife will be 51 next month. I retired at 56 and we took our sailboat to the caribbean for three years before heading back to land. Sold the boat,moved ashore. Just closed on our trawler last week and will be back on the water this month. Sometimes I will pick up seasonal work and my wife being a nurse gets work wherever we go.Will keep going as long as we stay healthy.

Wifey B: Cradle robber...:D

68 and my bride is 57. Young stuff - newlyweds. Own and actively run a small, specialized engineering firm. Really enjoy my profession, so full retirement is not on the horizon - but in the process of shifting the load to the succession. Not and don't expect to be a live-aboard or long term cruiser. Love the boat (both underway and working on her - a never-ending resto project), love the boating people, and with the slip a mile a way, easing out even for a few hours in the evening is simple. We do a couple of week-2 week voyages a year. I'm a happy man.

One of my regrets is marrying a landlubber and raising my kids on dirt. Though they went with my folks they did miss the day-to-day life afloat. The variety of neighbors from all walks of life? I don't know that folks ashore have that. I did not.

I wish I were younger, knowing now what I thought I knew then!

Under the examination/hands/tools of a dentist yesterday, the dentist was surprised as how old I actually am.

The most common complaint I hear in our yacht club is "I should have retired earlier." I have just started my 25th year of retirement from a job I held for 24 years. That's called "beatin' the system.":thumb:

Captain: Document = 59. Body=49. Mind = 30
Admiral: Document = not disclamed. Body=40. Mind = 30 to 50. depends

We are both are 43 with two children 11 and 13 this year. I myself never plan on retirement and own a Landscaping/cleaning/concrete company. My wife a RN for almost 24 years is ready today.

Love the raising the kids on dirt and everyone who is living out their dreams. Too many never make it to reality .....

Just turned 66, wife is 61. I am semi-retired-I work for who I want, when I want and I charge a lot! Daughter is a sophomore in HS and when she goes to college, we go to sea!

Turning 73 in a couple of months and almost have our little pocket trawler ready to go cruising again. We tried getting along without a boat but finally said the hell with it and bought another one, but much smaller. Hope to see a lot of you out there shortly. When I get my trailer, I can take the short route to the PNW again, or the Chesapeake, or the keys and stay a couple of months at a time cruising. Ben

I wish I were younger, knowing now what I thought I knew then!

But Janice, knowing what you know now when you were young, would not be wisdom,if that is what you are alluding to, it would be at most mere borrowed insights from your future self.

Let the young have their youth, despite what Wilde says, there is a lot to be said for growing older while staying young, that's the real trick.

Under the examination/hands/tools of a dentist yesterday, the dentist was surprised as how old I actually am.

So...was he surprised that you appear much older than your age? You didn't specify... ;)

57 (I had to work it out; I thought I was 58)

Starting to scale down the workload. Hope to be down to a couple months/year before I'm 60.

Retiring?! Haven't even thought about that. I'm still in school....

We're each 57 and loving retirement!

Work hard, retire ASAP, play hard! Life's great!

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. BK. " I'm still in school...." The perfect time to start planning for your retirement young Mr./Ms. I'd hate to see you celebrate your 60th birthday with coulda, woulda, shoulda's. Trust me on this one.

neal.gif

Last edited:
I'm 59 and lovely wife is 58 - been married 36 yrs. Real estate rental business is going great - will turn my rental properties over to a prop mgr and cast off the lines in two yrs. Plan to take several trips on inland rivers (boat will be in Columbus. MS on the Tenn/Tom). Then we will do the full great loop, with many side trips - islands, DC... Meanwhile I will walk the Camino Santiago this fall, and will keep helping to build Habitat for Humanity homes - our chapter in Jackson has built over 600 homes. Life is good indeed.:rofl:

Last edited:
Ok, I'm temporarily retired. Till school ends. Then, well..... Who knows...

Oliver, listen to me. It's never too early to start end of life planning .:eek::D: Just kidding. Hope you have a great life. Don;t listen to us old farts.

...Meanwhile I will walk the Camino Santiago this fall, and will keep helping to build Habitat for Humanity homes - our chapter in Jackson has built over 600 homes. Life is good indeed.:rofl:

Sounds like good works, FC!! Very nice.

A friend has walked the Camino twice in the last few years. That's quite the undertaking! She logged over 400 miles on her very first Camino walk.

Have you seen the movie The Way?

Thanks Al, yes we've seen The Way - great movie. A good friend and I will walk about 300 miles in early Oct. He's an MD and can only take off 3 weeks - we'll go back and finish the full 500 mile Camino Frances in a yr or two. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I am 61 the Admiral is 56-- Both retired --me a 55 --she at 45.

We both don't know how we had time to work!

I'm 58 ...wife 50....I guess I could retire, but I like working ;D :D ...well, I would like to cut back on work some....maybe.

Mark and Tammy

Aquila 44 Power cat
Carribiana 23'
Alerion express Catboat.

Wifey B: Thanks to all who participated. We learned a bit more about the group as a whole, plus some insight into some individual members. Great to know more about those we come here to play with. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom