41' President trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailor403

I am looking at 3 President 41 ft., the one that is in best shape has twin 225hp Ford lehmans. The other which is not in as good condition, has what I really want for motors, twin 120hp. Both about the same price. Another one has twin 67 hp. What would the fuel difference between the 2-225 and 2-120 both opperating at displacement about 7 kts.

Unless you run the boat thousands of miles for years, the fuel difference will not make a difference. When you consider dockage, insurance, maintenance and all the other expenses, fuel is not a major factor and the difference of a couple or 10 gallons per day should be less of a factor to you than the re-condition cost.
If one boat uses two gallons per hour more than another, after 400 hours of running that is only 800 gallons and at $3 the extra fuel cost is only around $2400. Less than a new GPS plotter.

I am looking at 3 President 41 ft., the one that is in best shape has twin 225hp Ford lehmans. The other which is not in as good condition, has what I really want for motors, twin 120hp. Both about the same price. Another one has twin 67 hp. What would the fuel difference between the 2-225 and 2-120 both opperating at displacement about 7 kts.

i delivered a lot of them when they were new and i think the 225s had turbos on them, iknow that they had to change the valves in the begining because the stock ones did not get along good with the turbos?

Unless you run the boat thousands of miles for years, the fuel difference will not make a difference. When you consider dockage, insurance, maintenance and all the other expenses, fuel is not a major factor and the difference of a couple or 10 gallons per day should be less of a factor to you than the re-condition cost.
If one boat uses two gallons per hour more than another, after 400 hours of running that is only 800 gallons and at $3 the extra fuel cost is only around $2400. Less than a new GPS plotter.

:thumb::thumb:

I have a 41 President DC with the 120 FL's and love them. They chug the boat along at 8 kts burning under 3 GPH.
I am pondering going bigger, have you made your selection yet ?
We are looking at Pilothouses in the 50' Range.

What is the general impression of the President 41. I boarded one and was quite impressed with the fit and finish and installation of the systems. How do they handle? Is the draft only 2'10'"? Any information would be appreciated. I'm thinking about moving up from a Grand Banks 32.

We love ours. That is one of the harder decison points about moving into the 50' Pilothouse.
The cabinetry, features and access are all top notch for a hand made boat of the 1980's.
The ford Lehmans are bullet proof so far with 3500 hrs.
As far as how do they handle ? We try and avoid any beam sea condition as they tend to yaw port and starboard a bit. In a wavy following sea you would wish that you had more HP to match the waves. But that is in the ocean with 3' following sea, lol.
Coastal or inland she is a great ride, no need for thrusters or expert handling skills. She responds as needed in tight quarters.
You will do all of your driving from the the upper helm as the visability is excellent from up top, even backing in to a tight slip.
Ask any more questions that come up please. Are you available for a visit to see ours and spend some sea time on her ?
We are in Essex, Ct.

I actually live in the Bay Area. It sounds as if you are very pleased with the boat. I've not seen a shot of the bottom, I suspect that she's relatively hard chined. The one I'm looking at is in the Bay Area, about 1500 hrs on the engines. Needs TLC but seems solid!

David

We have a 41' with the 225 Lehmans. We bought it last fall in Virginia. We are bringing it back home to Michigan from Virginia at the current time. We are cruising at 10.5 knots at 1800 RPM. It does handle nicely. We went through our first lock today at Troy, NY. Yesterday we travelled 83 NM up the Hudson with a mostly foul tide and were able to do it in 9 hours due to the 225's. We can run slower if we choose to, but with the lower horse power engines, you do not have the option of going faster. Sometimes we need to go faster in order to get to our destination. During the sea trial last fall, we did 17 knots at 2375 RPM. I also was looking for one with the 120's but now I am glad that we have the extra power.

My wife and I have been looking for a President-41 trawler for several years. We finally have ours now and it has two Volvo Diesels that are Turbo-charged. The owner let me ride along to the delivery point and I can tell you the boat gets up and goes when you give it some throttle. The engines can run more than 2800 RPM and get to 10.5 knots with no real effort at all

President 41

Well I'm getting close and I was looking through the bilge and found it very difficult to assess the condition of the tanks. Are they next to the engines outboard and surrounded by accoustic tile. There is no diesel in the bilge so they are not leaking. Do you know if they are black iron?

President-41

Hi, now just because I say there are zero black tanks for diesel on all President-41's. Someone is going to contest it. I say the diesel tanks are Chinese stainless steel. Both are outboard port and starboard and engines are just off centerline with the Generator between..............Harm.....

Hi, now just because I say there are zero black tanks for diesel on all President-41's. Someone is going to contest it.

We don't have a lot of Presidents here in Ontario and I have only surveyed seven of them. I can't speak for JohhnyCaches's boat but all seven of those I surveyed had painted steel tanks (There is no such metal as "black iron" ).

Curiously all seven also had metal plaques in English and Chinese stating the material was "iron" which it clearly was not.

Attachments

• President tank.jpg
    President tank.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,158
Last edited:
We purchased our President 41' this past April and are in the process of getting her "ship-shape". My wife and I enjoy her very much and plan on cruising long distance once we have more time.

Congratulations on your purchase. We bought a 41' President last year. Brought it home to Michigan from Virginia this spring. What engines do you have?

41' President

We have 2 Ford Lehman 275 Turbo SP's

Tom is there anything I need to look for in the prePurches inspection? We are looking at a 1985 41’DC .

Tom is there anything I need to look for in the prePurches inspection? We are looking at a 1985 41’DC .

The fuel tanks would be my biggest concern. Ours had had some coring replaced in the decks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom