Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The V-8 powerd Tyne boats can do 20 knots. The V-6 powered boats do 17 or so. Max speed of the Shannon is 25 knots. The Shannon's displacement is actually 18 tons, not 15.

The Wikipedia description of the Shannon does not jibe with the RNLI's specifications.

And yes, the Shannon design was done in-house. However, this is a lot different than saying the design was done in-house by the Navy, Coast Guard, etc.

History has proven that governments can't design a proper paper bag. The RNLI, being an all-volunteer organization, has some remarkable people in its ranks-- I've had the priviledge of meeting some of them.

So while I have no idea who was on the RNLI design team for the Shannon-class boat I would not be surprised if it included some of the UK's best naval architects and marine engineers.

Last edited:
Stability in rough water would be a plus for a trawler. But in a knock down type event those bilge keels may act like a tripping chine and increase the potential for a capsize. I'd like TAD to weigh in on that if he's here still.
And as to efficiency it would boil down to how much added surface area the second keel brings to the table. The props would get cleaner (less disturbed) inflow water and there may be other advantages too.

Far more important, those keels eliminate almost totally the chance of people in the water getting caught in a propeller. This is one of the strong reasons for going to jet drives in the new boats.

Lifeboats have different criteria than a pleasure cruiser, because their operational envelope is completely different. They are designed to capsize and remain operational and complete the intended mission. They run at high-speed in weather conditions that keep pleasure boats in harbour. Sea state has less effect because at high speed dynamic stability is a larger factor.

I've always been leery of people talking about "tripping" and what they imagine waves effects are on a boat. We know very well that any boat can be capsized by a breaking wave with a height equal to 60% of hull length. And some boats will be capsized by a breaking wave with a height equal to only 30% of her length. For a 33' boat that's a 10' wave.

In the PNW I can imagine lots of ugly scenarios with chunks of drift jammed between those keels and a shaft or prop or rudder. No thanks.

The V-8 powerd Tyne boats can do 20 knots. The V-6 powered boats do 17 or so. Max speed of the Shannon is 25 knots. The Shannon's displacement is actually 18 tons, not 15.

The Wikipedia description of the Shannon does not jibe with the RNLI's specifications.

And yes, the Shannon design was done in-house. However, this is a lot different than saying the design was done in-house by the Navy, Coast Guard, etc.

History has proven that governments can't design a proper paper bag. The RNLI, being an all-volunteer organization, has some remarkable people in its ranks-- I've had the priviledge of meeting some of them.

So while I have no idea who was on the RNLI design team for the Shannon-class boat I would not be surprised if it included some of the UK's best naval architects and marine engineers.

The designer is Irish, hence the Shannon name.:

Here's a look at the hull form in the roll over test

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Boat experiencing any sea conditions, or being mechanically forced to roll over... Immediate, natural return to upright is GOOD! :thumb:

Looked for Marin's picture thread thinking it may be a more appropriate place but couldn't find it. This 26NT isn't far out or strange but it's newness and all white color is stunning IMO. She's on our float and it's hard to walk right by w/o at least slowing a bit.

Attachments

• DSCF1897 copy.jpg
    DSCF1897 copy.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF1898 copy.jpg
    DSCF1898 copy.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF1899 copy.jpg
    DSCF1899 copy.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 110
Nice looking boat. A 26 footer is too small for our uses, but I like the lines of the "original" Nordic Tug. Much nicer than some of the top-heavy looking monsters NT makes these days in my opinion.

Thanks Eric, I like the look of the NT26,lovely proportions.
What is that on the bow? I recently saw a very new Jenneau 42 sailboat with a padding "cushion" around the bow secured with 4 lines, presumably to prevent marking the bow while on a mooring buoy.

It is hard plastic strips (sometimes metal) which prevents the bow from being damaged by the anchor.

Mine does not have these, but does have a damaged bow.

Love those lines of the 26-32. Here, however, is a recent ad for a very nice 26 that uses this shot as the main photo in the ad. Great ideas in canvas are not always complementary to style, no..?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 116
Love those lines of the 26-32. Here, however, is a recent ad for a very nice 26 that uses this shot as the main photo in the ad. Great ideas in canvas are not always complementary to style, no..?

Is that a pop-top camper?

Does "caca" mean the same in Turkish as it do in English?

200000. Good bones. Lots of work to make handle able by 1-2 people and modern comfy. 2 new gensets and what else. This would be instead of something else you could get that was more turn key. Not an expert on steel pilot boats or a broker. ?

looks like a really cool BIG boat with really little propellers!

18500 gallons of fuel?? yikes!

Looks like it would go anywhere.
HOLLYWOOD

You can get a lot more yacht for 800k than this beast. Pilot associations are not known for discounting their surplus boats.
Keep in mind that a full time crew assisted by a shore side maintenance staff maintains these vessels. You have to do the same or pay someone to do it.No more boatyards,its a commercial drydock and associated costs. If you have to dump it for resale, a very small buyers pool.

Not that we're interested in this boat, but Sailor brings up some points well worth considering that most recreational buyers, including us, would not know to consider. Interesting post SOF.

I'm pretty certain that's Irony and I believe their home port was Panama City. Nice folks and a great dog. She is a Florida Bay, and steel. Even prettier in person up close...

Haha, I was thinking it was Irony as well. We just saw her leave the dock here in Md last week and were admiring the funky look and how tall she was. She teetered even on the calm in the marina as she maneuvered off the dock though:eek:

If you look a the pictures, it looks like it says "Sails" on the bow....

Maybe could afford this in another life. Chose to be "Happy & Humble" in this one...

Pacific MotorYachts, Watson 48;

Watson 48

Last edited:
I'm with you, Murray. My next multi million yacht will be from New Zealand as well. Those kiwis build great boats.

Oh damn. Multimillion? There for a second I thought it was achievable. Lol.

Haha, I was thinking it was Irony as well. We just saw her leave the dock here in Md last week and were admiring the funky look and how tall she was. She teetered even on the calm in the marina as she maneuvered off the dock though:eek:

If you look a the pictures, it looks like it says "Sails" on the bow....

Sails is a 45' Bay Coaster beautiful boat very roomy inside. The owners are MTOA members, we had lunch onboard at one of the FL MTOA rendezvous.

My two weaknesses in one post, i.e. TrawlerForum and Pinterest. Yes, life is good. Was that Oliver I spotted on the page? Sure looked pretty -- lots did. :)

Yep she was on there, quite a ways down though.

Back
Top Bottom