Best large rail mount grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Old picture ( before Williams makeover ) . It's a dickinson spitfire . I took an old tore up helm seat and used the base along with some starboard . Our deck is pretty big for the size boat and we just move it around . Lash it down when traveling . When too many are on the boat at the dock
(drinking up my rum ):nonono: we just sit it out on the walkway .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 135
Mule's installation of the Weber Q is very similar to my friend's on his Defever, except the latter drilled holes through the ends of the legs and bolted it to the prep table. You can get an adapter for the smaller Q that allows you to use the larger tanks; ours looks like the same as Mule's except we have the thermometer which I find handy, and built in small fold out wing "tables" that are handy for staging stuff. It has almost exactly the same cooking area as the big Magma I showed in my pic. On the boat, I covered it up and stashed it in a cubby when not in use to reduce exposure to the elements, salt spray in particular.

Wow

I cannot tell you what the best grill is, but I can tell you what the worst grill is.

I have a Magma newport or catalina (cant remember) with the indrared and it sucks!!!

blows out in the smallest breeze, unreliable, bla bla bla.

The thing sucks and Magma should be ashamed of ever making it.

I called them and complained and they sent me new grates with bigger holes for free but they charged me for shipping and the grill still sucks.

Did I mention that I am not happpy with the grill??? Or that every time I get on the boat, have a nice cold beer and a thick steak that the grill fails me?
You too, I bought one and have had similar disappointing results. I think it blows out every time. If it did work I'm sure it would drool black grease on the gunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had the perfect spot for our Weber Q and a source for a aluminum table. Weber is the way to go, we've had Force Ten and Magma's. Get the Weber with the thermometer in the lid, great for slow cooking !

Attachments

• IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 135
The Weber has been the best all around BBQ that I've found. I really like the disposable tray underneath.
Nice mounts guys!

I once had a grill mounted on the cap rail.
It came to and early and untimely end.
Luckily, I had used it ONCE, so I realized what a mistake it was to have strayed from Weber.

On crossing the Atlantic, I had a bungee cord holding it to the gunnel.

No problem at all. Even with the sea water sloshing around it for days.

Also, the more sheltered location is far better for heat retention.

We had Irish lamb chops yesterday.
So tasty.

ForumRunner_20150409_222830.jpg

Yes.I know they picture is sideways, but it wasn't when I attached it.

Here is my burner, fry pan, stock pot, WOC rail mounted in a rod holder

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428874926.881165.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428874957.132041.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428874976.916312.jpg

Mule,
THAT'S what I'm talking about!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Mule, that's a nice setup. All you need is a pot full of oil and some snapper!

Alas....I am perhaps the flag bearer for a bad fisherman. I have my best luck at Costco. I have never put $500. A pound fish in my freezer from Costco...but I have the ones I caught. Still trying though. Thanks guys for the compliment. I made it out of an old 12" stock pot.

Alas....I am perhaps the flag bearer for a bad fisherman. I have my best luck at Costco. I have never put $500. A pound fish in my freezer from Costco...but I have the ones I caught. Still trying though. Thanks guys for the compliment. I made it out of an old 12" stock pot.

Yes, I'm no great fisherman either, luckily my best friend is a great fisherman so I just go with him.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428884382.382783.jpg

One more vote for the Weber Q. Bought it 3 years ago at Walmart for $99. So take that Magma.

I am on my third magma grill and will not own another one. The regulators are prone to fail and are expensive. The lids turn black, & I tried the cleaner which does not work. I was thinking about the Weber and this post has convinced me that is the way to go

Two boats and ten years on our Dickenson Sea B Que and still going strong. Have only had to replace the grates once. The stainless burner still looks like new, and we use it every weekend from about April to November. Has never blown out, and never had drips on the boat. The only complaint is it runs hot (probably part of what keeps it from blowing out) so you have to keep a close eye on things like chicken, sausage and pork. Perfect for steaks. I have a friend with a Webber Q that he uses on a fish table. It works great with much better temp control, but they do blow out easily. It isn't as much of a problem for him becuase he has a large flybridge cruiser that blocks almost all the wind when at anchor. Our Sea-B-Que is on the upper deck, so we needed something that wouldn't blow out.

Back
Top Bottom