View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #36
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Chris got a Nook reader a few years ago and liked it at first. But she was buying quite a few books and the prices weren't as reasonable as the used book store. I intended to do e-reading on my I-pad but never got around to it. E-reading had the obvious advantages while living in Alaska but as soon as we moved south we picked up our old habit of regularly going to the used book store and have been happy doing that ever since.

I read hard back books at home mostly but carry paper back books always. Read at Starbucks (when I'm not on TF) and in other resturants and waiting rooms of all kinds. It's amazing how often one needs to wait for something but I almost always have a book.

I could always find room for a dozen or so books so I can't relate to the coments above about trouble w space .. and I've got a small boat compared to most. Many have a need to do things just because they are new. Maybe the cost of e-books has come down and we should look into it again. It could be also like the trawler skipper that's been using a Danforth or Claw anchor for twenty some years and aren't motivated to do anything different. Some think having all the new things is a badge of honor. For now I still like my paperbacks.

What I/we read plays a part in this too. We read mostly fiction. Like stories. I just bought the hard back book "An Accidental Superpower" by Peter Zeihan .. not fiction. I learned about the book on the TV program "GPS" (Global Public Square). I read books in college about "what made America great" and this book is re the same question but it's about the future .. not the past. Very worth reading.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote