Spring Break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Last Tango

Vessel Name
Last Tango
Vessel Make
Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
The Last Tango is heading south. We are already tired of yard work so we left Patterson, LA on 3/26 and are now anchored inside of Santa Rosa in Pensacola.

We intend to do a close coastal gunkholing run down the west FL coast to the Tortugas, then back up the east side to Stuart, cross the Okeechobee and back home.

We are looking forward to some new sights since our sailboat was limited for coastal exploring. (56' tall, 6.5' draft).

Hope to see some new and old friends along the way. Planning on a slow run of about 8 weeks.

Fuel was $2.39 in Biloxi. Pensacola marinas are running $3.25 plus. Quite a difference. Glad our old Perkins only burn 1 GPH each at 8 kts.

Pirates Cove still makes great cheeseburgers!

Hi Chris it's good to hear you are out on the water, I'm envious! We did a similar trip in 2010. We couldn't make it out to the Tortugas so turned up the East coast of Fl from Marathon. You all have a great trip it's beautiful cruisin all the way! Keep us updated pls.

The pirate's Cove burgers sure are good, This old girl agrees. Look at those eyes, she rested her chin on my knee and stared at my burger, what could I do, I had to give her half.

Attachments

• Pirates Cove Begging dog.jpg
    Pirates Cove Begging dog.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 141
We are looking forward to some new sights since our sailboat was limited for coastal exploring. (56' tall, 6.5' draft).

Are you aware of several 55' bridges on the Okeechobee, and one 54' bridge near St Lucia? Also check the available draft with the COE.

David

I think he recently switched from sail to a trawler, so that's why he wants to cruise the Okeechobee.

Hey Tango glad to hear that you have started you adventure! Your in some beautiful country! Please keep us informed on your progression.

Hey Steve,

On the hook in Destin. We'll see how the weather is for the Key West to Tortugas run. - our ketch thrived on Small Craft Advisories. Not so with the Last Tango. She prefers smooth. :). - So does Eileen, the dogs, cat, and two parrots. So, since it's 6 against 1, we wait on favorable conditions for any open water passages. -- not to mention the fact that I am slower, softer and don't bounce as well as I used too. :) - should be a nice run to Panama City Today.

Hey Steve,

On the hook in Destin. We'll see how the weather is for the Key West to Tortugas run. - our ketch thrived on Small Craft Advisories. Not so with the Last Tango. She prefers smooth. :). - So does Eileen, the dogs, cat, and two parrots. So, since it's 6 against 1, we wait on favorable conditions for any open water passages. -- not to mention the fact that I am slower, softer and don't bounce as well as I used too. :) - should be a nice run to Panama City Today.

If you get held up along the coast for a while, there are more great stops. Port St. Joe is next but then comes the one we fell in love with so unexpectedly and that's Apalachicola. From either there or Carabelle, you can get a shorter run across to Clearwater.

We were once held up for about a week in the same area as you. Was horrid conditions on both Florida coasts and the Gulf was 8-10' and up to 12'. But the good part is we found so much wonderful in each port that we enjoyed every day of our delay.

What? Cover your eyes and ears WifeyB..

I opened this thread expecting to see spring break!!!! Spring Break folks....

Don't look like any spring break function I ever saw.....especially when living on my sailboat in Ft Lauderdale.

Don't look like any spring break function I ever saw.....especially when living on my sailboat in Ft Lauderdale.

Wifey B: Well, there are other Panama City videos that show a very different side. I never did spring break. Neither did hubby.

Neither did I...just an older working stiff watching the kids having...well mostly fun...

Did appreciate the scenery though.

We are in Appalachicola now. I really like this town. Carabelle also. Not much has changed which is a good thing. A few more touristy places. Renaissance stuff. I used to tuck in here, Carabelle or Pt. St. Joe if I had too short a window to make the straight shot to / from Tampa or the keys. I remember when the phone booth was the police station in Carabelle. I guess it's still there. :)

These are great weather holes. I haven't been anywhere in the bend between Tarpon and Carabelle. Have you ever been into St. Marks, Steinhatchee or Cedar Keys?

We have been into Steinhatchee, Cedar Keys, and Crystal River Crystal River was our favorite. They are all a pretty long haul off of the crossing route. We were in our Camano at that time, 2007, draft 3'6" the channels were well marked and we had plenty of water,that may have changed due to storms etc check Active Captain site. The channels are good but don't cut any corners it is shallow out side of them for a long way out. There is no marina in Cedar Keys for boats like ours nor a well protected anchorage in my opinion. Steinhatchee has marinas Cedar Keys also plus good anchorage spots.
If you are interseted in that sort of thing ( I am) check out the old cemetery in Apalachicola very interesting not a far walk from the water front. Apalachicola is one of our favorites along with Tarpon Springs.
Have a great trip!

We are in Appalachicola now. I really like this town. Carabelle also. Not much has changed which is a good thing. A few more touristy places. Renaissance stuff. I used to tuck in here, Carabelle or Pt. St. Joe if I had too short a window to make the straight shot to / from Tampa or the keys. I remember when the phone booth was the police station in Carabelle. I guess it's still there. :)

These are great weather holes. I haven't been anywhere in the bend between Tarpon and Carabelle. Have you ever been into St. Marks, Steinhatchee or Cedar Keys?

I have been into Steinhatchee, Cedar Key, and Crystal River. Steinhatchee has a well marked but narrow channel going in. Cedar Key is a little different story. Don't even think about the Northwest Channel. Take the main ship channel. Don't be fooled by the markers at the near S turn. You really do have to bend around. Crystal River has a pretty good channel that has a bend in it. The only shallow spot I have seen there is near the bend. Just be careful, and you should not have a problem. As you cruise offshore in that area you will be seeing the bottom all day. 9 to 10' of depth is considered "pretty good water" there.

John here on TF is up in St. Marks. Maybe he will pick up on it.

Thanks for the good local info folks. Looks like another day of exploration in Apalachicola. Thats a good thing.

Provisioned, fueled, watered, ready to go soon as we have a good window.

And Steve, the cemetery is on our visit list. We love old cemeteries.

Reports of low water from Steinhatchee and Cedar Key due to north and east winds lead to the decision to head to Tarpon.

Wx was forecast L&V with a 2' head swell.

Departed 1500 for a daylight arrival.

All was great until 0130 when the port shaft decided it didn't want to be part of the system. - the velvet drive transmission has a nut that holds the mating flange in place. No pin just torqued to 225 ft lbs. It fell off.

Too hazardous to inspect from under. Stbd thrust had the port prop pinned against the rudder but I had about 10 degrees of helm. So I secured the shaft in place, altered course for Clearwater. Much easier than getting up the Anclote River plus more chance of transmission help.

Arriving at the CW seabuoy, dropped the hook and went under to check. Pushed the shaft back up to the engine, secured and made harbor.

Parts arrive tomorrow. - need a pin in that nut!

God is good.

Sorry to hear about that port shaft taking a break! Glad to hear parts are on the way and will not delay you guys too much. Are you heading down to Tarpon Springs by chance after your repairs. Love that town! Thanks for posting up-dates. Hopefully I'll be doing the same route as you in 2 months from LA.

Yes, hopefully hit Tarpon on the way back. It's a great town. Love the Greek food. We also want to get up to Crystal River, Cedar Key, etc. The prevailing southerlies ought to be working by then so we'll see a little more water.

Have a great trip, good luck with the shaft fix. Reminds me to check the bolts on mine!

Steve,

It wasn't the exposed flange bolts that came loose. This is internal and on the output flange of the reduction gear. You have to separate the shaft flange from the transmission flange to expose the nut. - I can't fit in there to see it, just feel it. And since it sits against the seal and bearing, if the seal wears, the nut looses torque. ( My guess). Sure wish it was drilled!

Of course, now I have to worry or replace the Stbd. ....

Darn boats.., :)

Now I see which one it is, If I remember right it needs to be torqued to preload the trans. bearings, on Ag. equipment anyway, maybe that 225# number you mentioned. Oh well, Clearwater is not a bad place.

Successful test. Should depart for somewhere south mañana.

Sitting in Marco Island WOW. All is good.

Hope the weather is better than here LOTS of rain!
Have a great time.

Tango,

How was the trip over to the Keys? I'm planning a June trip, and I'm dithering on whether to shoot straight across at Marco, or follow the coast down the Everglades to Marathon then Hawk Channel to the Keys.

An easy run from Marco. Winds were a little higher than predicted resulting in a swell that was a little uncomfortable and we altered course about 10 degrees to improve the ride for our two dogs, cat and two parrots. :). Would have been a perfect reach in our ketch.

Only problem was crab pots. PITA. Requires constant watch and maneuvering. I think the pots have a magnetic attraction to fiberglass.

Fuel is only $0.13 higher than Clearwater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom