Best large rail mount grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nautibeaver

Vessel Name
NautiBeaver
Vessel Make
Nordlund 68'
Looking for the following attributes.
Something that does not create a mess underneath, large cooking area, and does not go out in wind.

Looking at Kumma 316 elite, and the Magma Monterey II.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

We've had a good experience over the last 14 or so years with a Sea-B-Que from Dickinson. We have the "Small" model, but they make a pretty good sized "Large" model, too. We've not used ours in real strong winds but in the typical 5-15 knots we get around here we've never had a problem with it going out. http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/bbqs.php

Last edited:
I cannot tell you what the best grill is, but I can tell you what the worst grill is.

I have a Magma newport or catalina (cant remember) with the indrared and it sucks!!!

blows out in the smallest breeze, unreliable, bla bla bla.

The thing sucks and Magma should be ashamed of ever making it.

I called them and complained and they sent me new grates with bigger holes for free but they charged me for shipping and the grill still sucks.

Did I mention that I am not happpy with the grill??? Or that every time I get on the boat, have a nice cold beer and a thick steak that the grill fails me?

Last edited:
I've had a magnum and it too blew out frequently. I now have a Dickenson and it works much better. My only complaint with it is that it doesn't have any sort of cover lock so I have to use a bungie cord. But the latest model has remedied that and now includes a lock.

Not sure what you mean by "large rail." It's difficult to find fittings for over-one-inch diameter railings. My upper railings are at least 1.25-inch in diameter. Seems I'm limited to using the boat's secondary/lower, one-inch railings such as for cannon and flag mounts, and block for line launching/retracting jib.

Last edited:
I've had a magnum and it too blew out frequently. I now have a Dickenson and it works much better. My only complaint with it is that it doesn't have any sort of cover lock so I have to use a bungie cord. But the latest model has remedied that and now includes a lock.

I'm ordering a SEA B QUE too be delivered by the time I get home from work.

I was uncommonly pissed last week when I tried to grill a steak. At my age I have very good control of my emotions, but I honestly wanted to jettison the beast into the drink. :)

I love my Sea B Que, but I loved my Magma CHARCOAL grill too. The charcoal Magma did really well in pretty stiff wind, but got ash on my steaks. The Sea B Que is pretty good, has never blown out, but has trouble keeping it's heat up when the wind is blowing hard. I think that's about as good as it gets in a rail mount grill.

When the wind blows hard I pull it off the rail and drop it down on the seat below the gunnel and set it on a rug so as to not scratch the gel coat on the seat. It cooks just fine then (out of the direct wind) and cleanup has been easy, no drips anywhere.

We had a Magma Newport on the boat we just sold. Hated it. Hard to light, I couldn't tell when it was lit unless I took the grate off, blew out easily, and I spent more time cleaning the grill and the mess it made than I spent grilling. You see those Magma Newports on a million boats, but they are just awful. I told the boat buyer that he was welcome to the grill, but I was doing him no favors, and if he threw it overboard someday, I wouldn't blame him.

I've got one of those Magma jobbies and I don't like it either. It's a pity that Weber doesn't make something. I've got a Weber BBQ at home and after 13 years I'm only just thinking its time to replace the burner tubes.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

The charcoal was a pain to carry and to dump out (ash dust), but it cooked fantastically well. I think their reputation was built on charcoal, and the gas one pretty much sucked. I have not heard of a single person who liked their Magma propane grill...

I'd sure like to hear a good review of a marine grill. Every single rail mount I've observed being used on others boats has looked like complete disaster in the PIA mess department. Until I see one in use without grease mess all over the hull beneath we will continue to use the grill provided at our marina.

Greetings,
We inherited a Magma Kettle gas grill with the boat similar to this:
img_323135_0_000da866b85750abbd5151c21b93e81b.jpg

but with no hinged lid (attached by 2' length of aircraft cable-lid just dangles when open). Impossible to relight as you had to partially dissasemble to reach the burner (try THAT with a hot grill covered in weenies) and it DID have to be re-lit on a regular basis. I drilled a 1/2" hole through the double layered base to facilitate re-lighting and other than the dangling lid, it doesn't work too bad now. Bought replacement burner when the old one rusted out and for the amount of grilling I do, it's OK. I would not reccomend this style or model for anyone who is the least bit serious about this type of cooking simply because of the small size.
As far as grease...the "drip pan" on the bottom outside has thusfar contained any mess. Not a drop on deck.

Last edited:
I've had a big propane Magma for about 6 years~been happy with it. About a year ago I replaced the burner and ignitor. I had the rail mount fabricated with SS, and then had to modify that to sit level, but all in all- it's a very solid mount. The grill tends to run very hot which is ok for beef or tuna steaks, but not so great for asparagus, etc. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428495295.590581.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I had a Magma Monterrey for several years and got along well with it. Sold the boat and grill with it and started shopping for new one. I decided to get a Magma Catalina but couldn't decide between the infra red or regular version. Called Magma and they admitted that the first infra red models had holes too small in the plates so they made them bigger. I went to WM and took a picture of the grates on the floor model and sent it to Magma.They said it was the new version. They also admitted that the grill was still too hard to clean and much too hot. I bought the regular grill and am getting along with it. You have to understand your enemy.

I also bought a genuine Magma Sunbrella cover. After one year the stainless case has a lot of surface rust. Called Magma, sent pictures and they said to clean it with some Barkeepers. Did that looked like new again. Another 6 months and rusty again. I called Magma and told them that my Monterrey never rusted. They say that they have not changed the quality of the stainless steel but I don't believe them.

Would I buy another one? Probably not.

I have had 3 different Purdy Shiney, Yachtie Stainless grills. Not a one cooked worth a damn. I now have a Q100 (new model Q1000) Weber. Use rod holder and stalk to mount. I used u bolts and 1/8 aluminum plate but a fish cleaning table will work I think. There is a larger Q series model out there. The small Q1000 weighs about 30lb.

They work well in the wind, retain heat and the cover does not turn white hot. Cost less than $200 most anywhere. Fish cleaning table from Marine Liquidators with stalk about $65.

Weber Q | Weber.com

http://www.themarineconnection.net

I'd sure like to hear a good review of a marine grill. Every single rail mount I've observed being used on others boats has looked like complete disaster in the PIA mess department. Until I see one in use without grease mess all over the hull beneath we will continue to use the grill provided at our marina.

So far (14 years or so?) our Sea-B-Que, which is on the rail on our flying bridge, has not put anythng on anythng. No grease drips, nothing. Being on the flying bridge no smoke gets into the boat, either.

Having had a big Magma that we used very heavily and enjoyed, I'd have to say that if were doing it all over again I'd get a rail mounted filet/prep table and bolt a Weber Q to it. That's what a couple we know on Defever did and it worked out great. I bought a Q when our Magma was in need of rebuilding, and since were getting ready to spend more time on land, I figured I'd move the Q to the house once I got the Magma rebuilt (all the parts are available from them). The Q is less susceptible to blow out and really gets good heat and dispersion. Never did rebuild the Magma, have to get around to that sometime because it is a nice machine that'll be worth something when done.

Here's the Magma we had. I don't think they make it anymore. I liked two controllable burners vs 1, but we have got along just fine with the Q. One issue leading to blow out is that it was mounted on the FB starboard rail, so had a lot of exposure to wind, vs a transom mount.

DSC_0123_2.JPG

If you don't keep it clean, eventually any grill will drip. I have never had that problem with any of my grills in 30 years of boating. My worst issue has been charcoal dust blowing out of the grill on very windy days. I don't leave my grill on the rail 24/7, I put it away when I am done with it. Constant exposure to the weather will degrade any grill.

My wife made a cover for ours and this makes a huge difference.

Thanks all. Appreciate the response. Sounds like the sea Q is something I should look at and maybe a fillet table to set on/mount to.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I have the Monterey Infrared (hot as hell) and have never had a mess, nor has the flame ever gone out. But, that may be because it's transom mounted, and, I don't remember ever using it in anything over 10 kts of wind.

Here is my Q Weber. I took a pressure washer to it today. She gets a real workout, us being live aboards and all.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428527934.000772.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428527960.367190.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428527981.171935.jpg

I have the larger Weber Q.
Love it. Lighter grills simply can't retain enough heat for decent red meat charring.

It sits in the back of the aft deck.

I wanted the larger one, as it uses normal propane from my 20lb bottle and had more mass for the above.

I have purchased 2 of the cheap ($99) Orchard Supply Hardware table top stainless steel grills and connect a 5 gallon propane tank to it.
These things work GREAT!
Plus the large tank give more pressure and thus doesn't ever blow out.
After 5 yrs, I threw it away and bought a new one.
Works great!

I have the larger Weber Q.
Love it. Lighter grills simply can't retain enough heat for decent red meat charring.

It sits in the back of the aft deck.

I wanted the larger one, as it uses normal propane from my 20lb bottle and had more mass for the above.

My system is regulated at the tanks and the system is controlled in the galley. Quick connect from a deck pulled hose to the grill. I removed the regulator from the grill and now I snap on gas when I use.

Cooks good, unlike "Yacht Grills". .

Rtf, the lids on the round Magmas are designed to hook onto the lip of the grill. This allows you to place it where it will act as a wind block. That's why they are not hinged. The one in your photo is hooked on the edge.

I sell Magmas but I have to admit I've never used one.

You guys should know that Magma came out with a bunch of new models this year that are supposed to address a lot of the problems you describe. I haven't heard any feedback on the new ones yet. Actually I'm not sure I have them in stock yet.

We have a circular Magma LPG/Propane fired, hinged lid, 4 holes in the lid centre. Replacing one which came with the boat and fell apart with rust, we salvaged the cantilever arm which can swing it outboard. Steaks have a great bbq flavor, especially if it catches fire due to a fat buildup.We had a charcoal fired one on the previous boat. Actually, we quite like it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom