Cold Galvanizing Compound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier. I am thinking of using it to coat my thruster prop. Any experience with this product?

This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier. I am thinking of using it to coat my thruster prop. Any experience with this product?

I have no experience with the Rustoleum product, but the Petit stuff has worked very well for me on all the running gear for the past number of years.

This spray product made by Rustoleum contains 93% lead. I was told it is the exact formula as Petit Barnacle Barrier.

According to the MSDS sheet for Pettit Barnacle Buster, it is 30-50% zinc.

I used it on my main propeller for this past year and the prop stayed clean. I forgot to coat my wing engine prop and as you can see below, it didn't fair quite as well! :facepalm:

DirtyGoriProp.jpg

After One year in the water, main prop is relatively clean. The folding prop, not so much.

Hey Boyd, did you ever run your wing engine? I imagine you spun up your main wheel lots but the wing engine, not so much?

Hey Boyd, did you ever run your wing engine? I imagine you spun up your main wheel lots but the wing engine, not so much?

I did run it occasionally , but obviously, not enough. When I dove under the boat last month to check it out, the Gori folding prop was stuck open and wouldn't close. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Does lead repel barnacles? The Pettit product has done well for our Northerly climate boat's prop. Dunno about lead. And which is worse for the environment?

According to their website it says 93% Zinc, word "lead" maybe was in error.
RustOleum.com

I think both products are very similar. The Rustoleum is 50% zinc in the can and claim it's 93% zinc once the coating dries. Pettite claims the dried coating is the "highest possible zinc concentration". I bet that's 93%. :D

I think both products are very similar. The Rustoleum is 50% zinc in the can and claim it's 93% zinc once the coating dries. Pettite claims the dried coating is the "highest possible zinc concentration". I bet that's 93%. :D

I'm willing to bet they are the exact same product with different labels.

I've used the Petit product on my anchor and it works very well. No loss of rust protection in 12 (or so) anchorings. I'm amazed that it didn't rub of anchoring but it didn't.
Just receintly I put it on my prop but obviously there's nothing to report as I haven't seen the prop since.
I don't like the sprayer on the can though as it drools all over my hand and drips a lot.

Last edited:
My experiences have been that neither does a lot where my boat is. I am in a heavy fouling area and the prop is only turned once a month or so when I am not cruising.

my other experiences with cold galvanizing is it seems to adhere to some surfaces well and others it can be rubbed right off. My initial stab is the surface has to be squeaky clean and rugged up a bit...like regular paint but it seems shame to do that with galvanizing...you would think it would stick like hot dipped.

The reason I asked is that the Rustoleum product is $7.50 and the Petit product is $36.00.
I have used the Petit Product on my prop and had good results like Baltimore but I have not found anyone in my marina that has any experience with the Petit or the Rustoleum.

Appreciate your response Baltimore.

When my boat was lifted last month, the prop was fine (protected with prop speed), but the stainless keel shoe was completely covered in barnacles.
I wasn't sure how Propspeed would stick to stainless, so I gave it a couple coats with a $8 can of zinc spray. It may not stick either, but for the cost it was worth a try.

Yes it is zinc not lead...my mistake. Thanks to everybody for you feedback.

My experiences have been that neither does a lot where my boat is. I am in a heavy fouling area and the prop is only turned once a month or so when I am not cruising.

my other experiences with cold galvanizing is it seems to adhere to some surfaces well and others it can be rubbed right off. My initial stab is the surface has to be squeaky clean and rugged up a bit...like regular paint but it seems shame to do that with galvanizing...you would think it would stick like hot dipped.

How about your assistance boat? What do they run on it?

When my boat was lifted last month, the prop was fine (protected with prop speed), but the stainless keel shoe was completely covered in barnacles.
I wasn't sure how Propspeed would stick to stainless, so I gave it a couple coats with a $8 can of zinc spray. It may not stick either, but for the cost it was worth a try.
Good decision,I wanted propspeed on props, shafts, and skegs, yard said it only works on things that move/spin. We left the skegs,which foul with barnacles despite coats of hard a/f. If you get a good result from zinc spray on the shoe, can you remember to post it, when you know.

How about your assistance boat? What do they run on it?

Nothing....it runs s so much it stays clean until really late fall or winter..then it isn't used much until it gets its annual overhaul.

In the summer not much sticks to the prop anyway.

The boat draws about 22 inches and I routinely plow through 18 inches of sand and mud.:D

I would say the boat is intentionally grounded 100 times a year and unintentionally grounded 50 times a year. Not much marine growth can get a to hold or survive the constant wear and tear if all the dragging and sandblasting.:socool:

The bad news is we only get a few years out of cutlets bearings and the prop gets reconditioned every year or so.

I've heard from many sources that the Rustoleum product works really well. The question I have is has anybody tried a primer such a zinc chromate first? If so has it prevented it from "rubbing off"?

Nothing....it runs s so much it stays clean until really late fall or winter..then it isn't used much until it gets its annual overhaul.

In the summer not much sticks to the prop anyway.

The boat draws about 22 inches and I routinely plow through 18 inches of sand and mud.:D

I would say the boat is intentionally grounded 100 times a year and unintentionally grounded 50 times a year. Not much marine growth can get a to hold or survive the constant wear and tear if all the dragging and sandblasting.:socool:

The bad news is we only get a few years out of cutlets bearings and the prop gets reconditioned every year or so.

Thanks for that :thumb::thumb:

Joe,
I didn't use a primer on my anchors and it didn't rub off. Read the info on the can. If they said to use a primer I would have. I find primers are more often than not very helpful on metal. I would remember that though.

As to any painting clean and sand as per what it says on the can. They don't sell paint as a product to try and figure out how to use it.

As both products are heavily laden w zinc it's a good question though.

Last edited:
Good decision,I wanted propspeed on props, shafts, and skegs, yard said it only works on things that move/spin. We left the skegs,which foul with barnacles despite coats of hard a/f. If you get a good result from zinc spray on the shoe, can you remember to post it, when you know.

PropSpeed works on rudders and struts. And SS of course.

Just want to add that I used the HD/Rustoleum cold galvanizing spray and had marginal results. This is 6 months of exposure; Nov 2015 to end of April 2016 in SW FL and about 700 nm cruising at 6.8 kts.

Attachments

• ZincSpray-2.jpg
    ZincSpray-2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 229
I recently checked my stainless keel shoe which was coated with a cheap zinc based cold galvanizing spray. It possibly may have slowed the fouling slightly, but still plenty of scraping required. Certainly no miracles.

I'll go with Prop Speed on the shoe next time when I redo the prop.

Does lead repel barnacles? The Pettit product has done well for our Northerly climate boat's prop. Dunno about lead. And which is worse for the environment?

High concentrates of heavy metals kill all invertebrates / crustaceans which is why many bottom paints use copper oxides...

Copper alone doesn't do it. I have a wood boat with a copper plated bottom. I still have to paint.

"I still have to paint."

Scrub clean more often and there is no need for paint on copper..

I have found quite a few of the aerosol cold galvanizing compound on the web and it looks as though ZRC is leading. Anyone have an idea of which one is better or are they all about the same as far as durability? I have been looking at Galvalox, Galvalox Cold Galvanizing Compound – True Galvanic Protection but I'm just not sure which direction to go. Any input would be great. Thanks.
thumbup.gif

Save

Eggheadgeorge....Not sure what you are looking for...or what you plan to do with it....

But as my previous post state, zinc on my prop did little to nothing.

If it did anything, it just made the surface a little slicker so maybe it took a little longer for stuf to grow.

"I still have to paint."

Scrub clean more often and there is no need for paint on copper..

Stuff grows unless the copper is sanded bright with no missed areas. I have done tests. Sanding every haul out would eliminate the copper, about 16 gauge, in a few years.
But, if you like I'll let you know next haul out and you can try it.

Back
Top Bottom