Perkins T6.354MGT only holds 6 quarts of oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweet marie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Riley G
Vessel Make
29 Guilles (custom built)
Hi,
I am hoping that another Californian owner can shed some light on my concerns. I have a 1979 Californian 34LRC with the twin 185hp Perkins. When I change the engine oil I only get about 6 quarts out of each engine, including filter change. I run them until they are hot, anchor, and then use the electric pumps plumbed through the drain plug to empty the oil. The oils at that point is thin and flows freely. The problem is that the manual calls for 10.8 quarts for these motors. Does anybody else out there have the same arrangement and same problem? Is it possible that the oil cooling circuit could hold over 4 quarts? I also wonder if the hash marks on my dipstick could be in the wrong place. The engines run great and have 50 and 62 psi at a 1550 cruise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

US vs Imperial? Litres? Are the engines tilted a lot?

They are US quarts. The engines do not appear to have an excessive angle on them. Thanks, John

They are US quarts. The engines do not appear to have an excessive angle on them. Thanks, John
I usually only get 8 quarts of oil per engine out of my 1976 6.354M's. There is always some oil left in the pan, oil cooler and piping. As long as you're changing oil on schedule, it shouldn't be a problem. :thumb:

But you should keep this in mind. If your oil becomes contaminated with water or fuel (failed lift pump diaphragm). You will need to do a more exhaustive draining and flushing of the oil system.

You are probably right about not worrying, after 35 years they are still running strong. Because I know I could never afford to re-power the boat it has made me paranoid when it comes to maintenance. I generally change the oil twice a year and put about 150 hours on them. I am hoping I can get another ten years out of them. I still hope that somebody with the same arrangement might be able to tell chime in. Thanks

You can get more oil out

I had the same question a few years back on my ST3.544m 200 hp Perkins. On the Port side just aft of the dipstick there is a plug you can remove. Stick a hose in there to the lowest part of the sump and suck it out. If you do a search on the forum you will probably even find a picture of the plug location. The drain plug that they plumbed into your engine is somewhat higher than the lowest part of the sump.

Plate, not plug

There is a small plate. Not a plug just aft of the dipstick.

Thank you very much. I will look and see how much more I can extract. Where do you keep your Californian?

On my stbd 4.236 Perkins (the 4 cyl version of your 6.354), I added a petcock and barbed nipple where I had a plug in the aft, port corner of the pan. It allows me to suck more oil out of the pan. I need to loosen the port engine rear mounts to be able to get the clearance do the same to the port engine. Just haven't felt the compelling need just yet. I'll tackle it next time the port shaft is disconnected.

images

I suggest that you pay a visit to www.Boatdiesel.com. Lots good diesel people there that can supplement the info you can garner in this forum.

What do you have for power?

The T6354 on a previous boat had a permanently fitted hand pump next to the dipstick(see post 6&7). Worked a treat, easiest oil change extraction ever, a man would be a fool to himself and a burden unto others, not to take advantage of the provision.

Changed the Oil on My Perkins T6-3544, 220 HP

I got 1.8 Gal out using the built in pump. I also removed the oil filter with associated oil.
I added 2 gal of oil and the dip stick registered even with the high oil indention.
After running I will probably need to add a pint.

I don't think the built in pump is at the low point of the pan, so, probably left some old oil in the engine.

Be aware that a lot of engines have dipsticks that are incorrectly marked. You may find that the engine will run a bit below or above the full mark. On mine if I fill them to the full mark they will burn some until the oil is midrange and then they stop using oil. When I first got the boat I would fill to the full mark and they would burn some so I would refill. Finally I decided to not top them up and see what happened. They went to midrange and stayed there until the next oil change. So I stopped topping them up and stopped wasting the oil. You have to learn your engines and what they like. Yours might like it topped up or maybe not. Mine have hoses attached to the drain plug so I get most of the oil out of them. Good luck.

I have the same boat, year, and engines. When we changed the oil on both engines we filled up a 5 gallon buck, plus more in another one, so, quite a bit more than 6 quarts per engine. Also, used a manual vacuum extractor canister. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom