Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. frg. Heartiest congratulations.
throwing-money-away.gif

Now....about that anchor...
rna.gif

Sorry I panicked. What I really meant to say was...
arsenio.gif

Amen.

Congratulations!

Congrats Padre. I can only imagine you scheduled the sea trial and haul out during Holy week to insure a bit of Divine assistance??? Seemed to work well! Way to go!!

It appears the TF membership has made a superlative choice in selecting the Good Friar to the TF Chaplaincy. By my count, if Fr. George and Betty Joe close a week from today, in 71 days time they will have gone from homeowners in Celina, Tx to liveaboards in southern Florida! That is an amazing accomplishment. Anyone that could pull that one off definitely has a Hotline to Heaven!

Big congrats to both of you.

It appears the TF membership has made a superlative choice in selecting the Good Friar to the TF Chaplaincy. By my count, if Fr. George and Betty Joe close a week from today, in 71 days time they will have gone from homeowners in Celina, Tx to liveaboards in southern Florida! That is an amazing accomplishment. Anyone that could pull that one off definitely has a Hotline to Heaven!

Big congrats to both of you.

Sure seems a lot longer than that! Couldn't have done it without all the help from here and a wife that has supported me - hell! Carried me! - for the last 36 years.

Now the fun really begins; learning all about this boat and how to take care of her.

Frank Fryer? (FF).

We need a 'Chip fryer' for the flying Spagetti monster to convert into a pasta-Arian; it's better for your health and wealth: it's free!

Donations gratefully received: of course!!!

Last edited:
We need a 'Chip fryer' for the flying Spagetti monster to convert into a pasta-Arian; it's better for your health and wealth: it's free!

Donations gratefully received: of course!!!

I'm a Deep Fryer!

Good to hear, George! When the ink is dry on the sales contract, I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the Californian Club!!

I've been thinking about the boat name, Ten Knot. It can be a double entendre with the boat's speed and the Ten Commandments! You know the ones ... (I'll paraphrase) ...

Thou shalt knot worship false gods.

Thou shalt knot take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Thou shalt knot murder.

Thou shalt knot commit adultery.

Thou shalt knot forget to go to church on Sunday.

Thou shalt knot dishonor thy parental units.

Thou shalt knot steal.

blah, blah, blah...

If worded just so, there are 10 Knots in there. :eek::facepalm::D

"Thou shalt knot commit adultery."

Hmm, does that mean I need to sell my boat?

Greetings,
Mr. frg. I was thinking exactly what Mr. FW posted. Ten Knots fits but you will have to forgo copious amounts of alcohol to rechristen. In lieu of the re-naming, you could quite easily have a "We'll keep the name" piss-up. Win/win.

Drained the bank acct to pay off remaining bal on boat. We will close by Friday! So happy

I've been quietly following this thread for quite a while and wish to offer my congratulations to you and the Mrs. as well!

As a Prebyterian elder, perhaps I can serve as your liturgist?

Or at least an acolyte! ;)

Looking forward to more tales of your upcoming adventures!

I've been quietly following this thread for quite a while and wish to offer my congratulations to you and the Mrs. as well!

As a Prebyterian elder, perhaps I can serve as your liturgist?

Or at least an acolyte! ;)

Looking forward to more tales of your upcoming adventures!

Thank you! We will keep posting as we get aboard.

Better hang on to your stole though. I've been told I have one foot in England and the other in Rome! Old, stubborn Anglo-Catholic. :socool:

Hanging up my spurs and slippin' on the deck shoes!

We are right behind you! We just listed our ranch in Navasota last week and have multiple offers... guess we will be in FL in about a month. We are going to stay with my parents in Sarasota while looking for our new liveaboard. We plan to spend some time cruising the Caribbean before coming back to FL and going back to work. I've been looking at 44 foot Marine Traders due to layout and features and have paid close attention to the recommendations about surveys, etc. We have also been checking out marinas during our visits to Sarasota and are leaning towards Regatta Point Marina in Palmetto/Bradenton. Y'all have any advice?

We are right behind you! Y'all have any advice?

Congrats! So happy for you. I am such a newbe I can't say how sound my advise would- with following exceptions:

1. Be patient and DO NOT get discouraged.
2. Read as much as u can
3. Look at a lot of boats
4. Take every online listing with a heaping tablespoon of salt!
5. Use this Forum! Most important thing you can do. Some of the most knowledgable and kind folks in the world on here and they will help you.

Please keep us posted of your progress

George+

Thanks, George! We have been working on this for several years... since we both had cancer in 2007/2008 and have been touring every boat we can find. Have owned both power and sail boats in the 20 - 30 ft. range and are pretty handy. I'm ready to leave the mud season behind. How do you like your new boat? She's right purrrty!

Started moving stuff on the boat today. Heads are salt water flush. Pew!!!! And why are there big containers of salt in both heads?

SOunds like you have a Raritan Electroscan or Purasan MSD. In brackish or fresh water, the salt needs to be added to the Electroscan to process the waste. (I think I got that right, but I don't own one and sometimes get mixed up between the two models.)

I've found that the first couple flushes after sitting for more than a few days are the worst. I shoot a Febreeze air freshener into the bowl before the first flush. Then it improves as the dead critters are flushed out of the hoses and head. Hopefully you'll find the same.

I thought you were closing tomorrow. Are you getting an early start?

I'd switch it to fresh water, won't have to deal with those horrid smells. That's what we did on our Camano's little head.

I thought you were closing tomorrow. Are you getting an early start?

Yes, electrosan is the brand. I read in the forums about the smell when flushing of the little dying sea creatures in the pipes but never experienced it first hand. Holy cat **** Batman!

And yes, we got all closing papers today. We had planned to spend the night on her where she is laying in the New River but we're told no can do. The lady who's house she is behind also said not to run the air cause it pops her breakers.

Long story short: even though this slip is paid to end of month by PO were getting the hell out of there Sat.

I hired a Captain to ride with me in case I get into any difficulty. He has agreed to show me some pointers along the way.

So tomorrow, fire systems certificate, deposit on new slip and insurance payment.

It's all good. Learning and having a blast crawling around on this boat!

I'd switch it to fresh water, won't have to deal with those horrid smells. That's what we did on our Camano's little head.

Sounds like a plan to me! We will have bathrooms and showers at the slip so nothing we have to rush into right now. For now, flush and run!!!!

Be aware that if you switch your toilet(s) to fresh water, they will be drawing from your fresh water supply which is whatever your boat carries in its tank(s). Depending on your fresh water capacity this could be problematical on a longer cruise. If you are planning on marina-hopping or taking relatively short runs during your boating career then it may not be an issue. But it's something to be cognizant of.

Last edited:
Oh boy, the subject of toilets has come up! Next to anchors, toilets are the favorite topic on this forum. Good Friar, what toilets hast thou vessel?

I think the best of all is a selectable fresh/raw water flush. In my experience, using salt water flushes isn't a smell problem if it doesn't sit unused for a few days. Using fresh water as a purging flush before a period of non-use should control the smell, right?

Oh boy, the subject of toilets has come up! Next to anchors, toilets are the favorite topic on this forum. Good Friar, what toilets hast thou vessel?

I think his are Vacu-Bless! They don't use raw water or fresh water...they use holy water!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom