Shrimp - San Juan Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trimix (because they're deep), Night Dive (attracted to bright lights) and a Slurp Gun (shhhhh, don't tell anyone)..... :eek:

Sorry, not really what you're looking for, but definitely the most fun way to get shrimp. You can slurp up clouds of them. :D

Ok, that's different. I go diving for Maine lobsters and scallops in 200' of water, but never thought about shrimp. The things we do for dinner. :nonono:

Ted

There are two main families of shrimp/prawns: Family Penaeidae (for example the Gulf shrimp/prawns of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida prawn fisheries), and Family Pandalidae which include many of the shrimps/prawns of the west coast of North America. Whether you call them shrimp or prawns is your choice.

Examples of Penaeid shrimp:

http://safmc.net/FishIDandRegs/RegulationsbySpecies/PenaeidShrimp

Examples of Pandalid shrimp:

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/kodiak/photo/misshrimp.htm

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Hmmm interesting. Thanks, I had heard it was because prawn are carnivores and shrimp are herbivores.

Last edited:
Efforts for Thursday, April 1st...
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428073338.083722.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428073359.080052.jpg
Pulling the pots again today.

Jim

Where at? Jealous. Saw a few shrimp pots out side of iceberg point off Lopez on our way to Roche yesterday but think only commercial is available in Washington right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

No. Wife was in charge of the camera. We were fishing off Lions Bay in Howe Sound. It's been closed since January 1, as the berried prawn index was down. We didn't pull yesterday and CPUE less than half of Thursday. Prawns are a decent size for the area, at about 12 per lb.

4 years ago I was getting 100/pot on some days and that hand pulling from a rowboat. About 20-25% of that this year after a lengthy Rec. closure isn't that good. I suspect catch rates will decline from here.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom