Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. frg. Yes, that was me you saw when you were proceeding west up the New River AND, the boat looks good. Sorry I didn't recognize your Admiral waving. I'll try not to let it happen again...

We'll let er slide this time partner. ?

Boat really is as good as we thought. NO major issues. Only 2 1/2 columns of very minor issues on surveyors notes. I think this is the one!

Glad it went well for you two!

Boat looks great. More photos at your convenience please?

Yes folks. Give me a little bit to collect my thoughts. We're back poolside now decompressing from the day's activities. A lot of firsts today: driving a boat on the ICW, driving a boat on open ocean, hemorraging money for survey and haul out. What a day. What a glorious day!

Wow- perhaps the longest TF thread without a huge derail!

George- congrats on the beginning of a grand new adventure!

I hope you get used to that money hemorrhage! It's just starting!!

Happy to hear it went so well for you. Californians are great boats!

No Richard, what we need is a Fleet Fryer. We've decided that Friar George will assume both rolls.

I'd suggest it Trawler Fleet Friar... TFF

Congrats! (I hope). One of many boat dollars!! (1 boat dollar = $1000)

Greetings,

AA (Able abbot)
BB (boat blesser-with apologies to Mr./Ms. BB)
CC (Cruising cleric)
DD (Dedicated deacon)
EE (Ecclesiastic extra)
FF (Several already suggested)
GG (God guy)
HH (Holy helper)
II (Obvious- Aye, aye)........

MOGWOG (Man of God within our group)

??????
After 250 posts there's gotta be SOME thread creep. I'm losing faith in the group...

This is fun! And, I'm not spending a dime!

Another miracle brought about by a man of the cloth!!

George - If she's the correct one so be it... just make damn sure she is.

You doing motor, transmission, and generator oil tests? They help a lot when purchasing used... in that... if they come back all with good results the word whoopee comes to mind - not so good results, then that creates great bargaining chip for price reduction.

Play it as you see it, my friend.

Happy Boat-Buyen Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Every Boat Dollar ($1000) you save at purchase is a boat dollar to help with other boat expenses... costs such as docking, fuel, furniture improvements, etc... all soon to arrive and that keep-on-going.

Last edited:
Survey tomorrow!!!! Anxious as a whore on nickel night.

Can't believe my PC just typed that. ;-)

Just proves your human :)
Thanks for being aboard and all the best on the survey and sea trials. Following closely.

OD

Where to start? 9AM Thurs morning was the appointed time for us to meet; me, Betty Jo, the broker, the owner, and the surveyor.

We rolled up at 20 min till. Boat is open, all covers are off, cushions in place, coffee on stove, surveyor in the bilge. Seems I'm never on time for anything!

At 940 the owner is backing out of the slip. By 10:15 we are down the ICW and into the open waters of the Atlantic. The owner gave me the wheel as soon as we had cleared the dock letting me drive the whole way. I was giddy as a school girl and I am not sure but I think my pants began to budge out in the front just a little! The WX was perfect; light winds, seas 2 to 3 ft.

We ran 7 to 8 knots just going down the coast until the surveyor caught up with us on the flybridge. "Open her up all the way". She dug in and those Cat diesels didn't miss a beat. She blew some smoke for about 5 min and then no more. The owners eyes were wide. "I never had her up this high", he said. 12 knots was the top end which is just about where she should have been for a wet weight of 18.5 tons of vessel. We kept her there while surveyor went below to check engine and transmission temps. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427950837.712787.jpg

And tomorrow kids, part 2 of Papa Georgio's great adventure.

Friar / Captain George and Admiral Betty Joe ;)

This is more fun than being a 13 yr old at confession with nothing but good things to tell the priest!

You and Betty Jo are obviously having the time of your lives on this great boat-choice adventure.

Things are sounding good...Can't wait to hear more... sail on brother George - sail on!

Pictures dude (and dudess) - Please, please send us pictures as your event unfolds.

Cheers! - Art :dance:

Ready for part two?

After sea trial we meandered back down the New River to our haul out appt. This was a peaceful drive with the exception of meeting "the Jungle Bitch". The real boats name is the Jungle Queen. We met her coming around a bend in the river no wider than 30 or 40 ft. Not 40 ft of clear water as the bend was full of docks and boats waiting for their owners to take them out.

The Jungle Queen is a 500 passenger paddle Wheeler who, legend has it, gives way to no man or vessel. And that day she was in no mood to be trifled with! As I rounded the bend I cut power, cut to the Starboard side of channel, cut power again, all the while waiting for the Jungle Bitch to show some mercy and give me leeway. Inches from the pilings we came to a complete stop losing our steerage. Nothing to do now but wait. The Jungle Bitch and her maniacal Captain cut the channel just to our Port throwing her putrid wake all over Ten Knots and missing our bow by what seemed mere inches. I swear I heard a laugh - not from the captain, but from the bitch herself as she narrowly cleared our stern and headed up stream.

Ten Knots and her shaken crew fended off the pilings and continued on our way to her appt. in the slings of the haul out crane.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428020244.423412.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428020276.686772.jpg

Stay tuned for more of our adventure!!!

Last edited:
Ready for part two?

After sea trial we meandered back down the New River to our haul out appt. This was a peaceful drive with the exception of meeting "the Jungle Bitch". The real boats name is the Jungle Queen. We met her coming around a bend in the river no wider than 30 or 40 ft. Not 40 ft of clear water as the bend was full of docks and boats waiting for their owners to take them out.

The Jungle Queen is a 500 passenger paddle Wheeler who, legend has it, gives way to no man or vessel. And that day she was in no mood to be trifled with! As I rounded the bend I cut power, cut to the Starboard side of channel, cut power again, all the while waiting for the Jungle Bitch to show some mercy and give me leeway. Inches from the pilings we came to a complete stop losing our steerage. Nothing to do now but wait. The Jungle Bitch and her maniacal Captain cut the channel just to our Port throwing her putrid wake all over Ten Knots and missing our bow by what seemed mere inches. I swear I heard a laugh - not from the captain, but from the bitch herself as she narrowly cleared our stern and headed up stream.

Ten Knots and her shaken crew fended off the pilings and continued on our way to her appt. in the slings of the haul out crane.

View attachment 38810View attachment 38811

Stay tuned for more of our adventure!!!

Too F'n Cool :socool:

Trial by Fryer err... Fire! The Bible comes into play once again!

:thumb: :lol:

Thanks for rudimentary maps.

Haha yeah, she's a bitch alright! Those old detroits even add to her intimidation. I've gotten in a few situations with here, but nothing too serious.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. We must have passed the JQ about 5 minutes before you did as we were just tying up when you passed. Indeed a fat arsed girl that wasn't wasting any time.

Ready for part 3......Is there a part 3?

I feel like this is the Game of Thrones!!! Who dies this week....

Ok, part 3. No yarns this time. Just the facts.

The haul out went terrific. Below u will find som pics of her bottom.

No soft areas and only one blister that had been previously repaired. She has an over abundance of paint so at next haul out she will need to be sanded and repainted. No the damage to bottom or keel seen.

Shafts, bearings and bronze props all good. Zincs all good and melting away as they should. New zincs will be needed in couple months. We will have a diving co do that and avoid early haul out.

Very little growth on bottom as it had been cleaned by a diver few months ago. Very clean all around.

After hull inspection we went aside with our surveyor for the full run down. Only one and a half columns of very minor issues - none of which would involve arguing with the owner. Remember we already got him down 10k off price.

Bottom line? Surveyor was a surprised as we were. He said he just inspected a marine Trader in similar condition and it sold for 160K. Ours has great bones, NO real issues and we are getting for $69,900. Do, I cut to the chase and asked him, " would put your family in this boat tomorrow and head to the Bahamas." His answer? Yes, without hesitation!

I'm telling you, this boat wanted to be found. We signed the conditional agreement listing a few minor items, I.e., fix or replace freezer, reconnect aft shower drain to sump box, etc.

Bottom line: she will be ours next week! Thanks to copious reading and super advise and help from this forum we are closing the deal. And we are comfortable doing so.

We cannot thank our new friends here enough for the generous and honest help you have given us. Of course I believe the Good Lord has had a hand in it as well. We are feeling really happy and blessed right now.

Ok, more pics...ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428090439.831718.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428090469.682402.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428090487.469833.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428090546.979842.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom