Age of trawler dudes and dudettes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How old are you?

• Under 21....just a kid still...look, i'm 35 and still and always a kid

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 21-35....ok, a little older, working hard, dreaming.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 36-45....probably so busy with family and young kids no time for anything

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • 45-55....omg aren't these kids ever going to be on their own and why must I work so hard

Votes: 36 19.6%
  • 55-65....I can see retirement in my future...or maybe I can retire early...

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • 65-75....Finally peace. Wish my body could keep up with my mind

Votes: 52 28.3%
  • 75-100....pinching myself. Life is wonderful even when it isn't. I'm thankful for each day

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 100+....ok, couldn't resist...and no smart alecks pick this...that means you RTF..no no no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: Trying again....won't be too quick on trigger this time...

Ok, I thought it might be interesting to know the ages of the group in general. No need for anyone to openly reveal their age unless they want to, but just in the poll. Seems some discussions may be reflections of the age groups and age differences. I'm sure or hopeful all of us do try to understand there are different generations even reflected here and respect them all...

55-65....I can see retirement in my future...or maybe I can retire early..

Yep that's me.. :socool:

"Wish my body could keep up with my mind"? With my mind, the body is not challenged!

OK I don't fit the descriptions.

Early 50's, empty nester since 39 years old and my kid being that he served in the USCG hasn't asked for a single dime since then. :)

Retirement is the day I can withdraw from my 401-K without tax penalty, which coincides with the day I write my last boat payment check.

Make a plan early. Stick with the plan.

I'm 25, started seriously trawler shopping when I was 23, and bought my Nordic Tug just after my 24th birthday. Buying a trawler at this age wasn't particularly easy—quite a few brokers dismissed me because I fell so far outside their normal age range, which was frustrating.

I'd always loved boats and had spent time on a 22' C-Dory going from Puget Sound to SE Alaska and around Vancouver Island. I figured this was the best time in life to buy a boat, liveaboard, and travel...no house to deal with, no stuff I'd filled up a house with, no kids, etc.

It helps that I have to be boating for my job (updating/editing a cruising guide).

I'm 25, started seriously trawler shopping when I was 23, and bought my Nordic Tug just after my 24th birthday. Buying a trawler at this age wasn't particularly easy—quite a few brokers dismissed me because I fell so far outside their normal age range, which was frustrating.

I'd always loved boats and had spent time on a 22' C-Dory going from Puget Sound to SE Alaska and around Vancouver Island. I figured this was the best time in life to buy a boat, liveaboard, and travel...no house to deal with, no stuff I'd filled up a house with, no kids, etc.

It helps that I have to be boating for my job (updating/editing a cruising guide).

Wifey B: What an incredible job to have. Sounds like a wonderful way to live at 25. When I was 25 I was just about to finish college, but grad school still to come (didn't start until 22), and our boat was a 25' Cobalt bowrider and boating was on a lake in NC.

Everyone on the forum has turned green. Not from being sea-sick but with jealousy! I like your life choices! I don't quite fit the pole's description either. Turning 40 this year. But no kids.

Retired at 55 and now 79. Livin' long is the best revenge.:lol:

Wifey B: The descriptions aren't important. I just put them so the numbers wouldn't get lonely.

51 now. Semi retired at 32.

Not old enough to get my captains license, I have no idear when I'm going to retire.

Captain is 40... Admiral is 42... and our first mate just turned 5!

56, semi retired at 45 ( work May through September), empty nester. If I could kick this trawlering habit, I could retire. :rolleyes:

Ted

54, shooting for "Happy & Humble" and maintaining a healthfull degree of immaturity.

68. GW is hitting a major milestone birthday on the 10th of this month. I won't say which one but she's younger than I am but by less than a decade.

If I'd known retirement was so much fun I'd have started saving for it many years earlier and retired earlier.

51 and waiting for wife to retire in 4 years so I can retire for 1 year to do the loop then it will be back to work for me.....

53.. retired at 30.. went cruising across the Pacific.. lived for 3 years

I have been paying for that for the last 21 years.. it was worth every cent!

HOLLYWOOD

:dance:

54 and mostly retiring 3 weeks from today. Starting the loop in the fall.

YEE HAW!

Rafe

Just turned 50. Semi-retired. Plan to sell the car lot to my right hand man in 3 years and be fully retired.

Wife is 49, and she has her own consulting business. She enjoys working much more than me at this point.

58 and the term retirement is relative to me.

Took an early retirement to start a business in line with my career. Later started another business more in line with my true love of boating, yet still including many of the skills from my previous life.

For now I'm strapped to both of them, but I've made the conscious decision to work less, delegate more, and spend more time on and around boats and the water, and working more on the training business.

Of course the admiral to be keeps reminding me that we need a boat, and who am I to argue? (LOL)
So I'm always looking for the right one.as everyone here says, you'll know it when it's right.

Don't really see myself as a true year round live aboard; however, I'm in pretty good shape, so if all continues to go well, and it's in God's plan, I'll be underway more often than not by the time I'm 60.

OD

66, the admiral is 59. I retired at 51 and sailed to Mexico twice, We came back to take care of elderly parents and swallowed the anchor 7 years ago. My father in law passed away three weeks ago and we see a future on the water again, possibly with my 81 yr old mother in law.

44 and living in an area where boats aren't an option. Six more years until my youngest heads to college (fingers crossed). Dreaming at this point, but still making plans :)

53.. retired at 30.. went cruising across the Pacific.. lived for 3 years

I have been paying for that for the last 21 years.. it was worth every cent!

HOLLYWOOD

:dance:

Sounds familiar. I was 'semi-retired' until the age of 32 when I got a permanent full time job for the first time. Up until then it was seasonal work, contract jobs, traveling, hiking, climbing, fine art and photography schools, and sea kayaking.

After the full time job came the house, then the daughter. Not the norm, but have some great memories of epic adventures when young and strong which will more important than money in the end.

59 and still working . Maybe retire in 6 years and do some part time wood working .

I'm 59 and my wife is a year younger. I spent almost 29 years in the Navy and will have the 10 years of civil service I need to retire for the second, and final, time on October 31st of this year. We will start heading down the ICW to Florida on November 1st. No more winter for us!

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I am 61 and my husband is 69. I am retired and he is wrapping up his at home business. He will take some cases while aboard. We are waiting for our real estate to sell in Maine then going aboard, hopefully this summer. Can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom