How frequently do you drink when cruising...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often do I drink alcohol when cruising

• I have a drink most days

Votes: 56 42.7%
  • I typically have a drink 2 to 3 times a week

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • I average having a drink about once a week

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I average having a drink about once or twice a month

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • I average having a drink less than once a month

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I don't drink.

Votes: 18 13.7%

• Total voters
I'll drink a beer or a glass of wine with dinner after a day of cruising. I never pilot the bolt with a beer or drink in my hand. After dinner and before bed, one or two cocktails. Just a nice way to relax while on the water at night enjoying the view and the company. During the week at home, I don't drink at all. One cup of Starbucks bold a day, made with a french press while on the boat. Starting to enjoy Peet's coffee, it's good!

I don't have a coffee addiction. Only drink it when someone else has made it. (Thank you Steve and Patty for coffee and breakfast -- great waffles! -- last Sunday on Cary'd Away!)

Pittsburg,CA TFer get-together... initial arrivals Cary'd Away, Carquinez Coot and FlyWright
img_321604_0_7bbd60c0b6f7a17df701953679f6ef29.jpg

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with having a beer or two on your boat.

After you are anchor'd or docked for the evening.

If I walk the dock on Seward Alaska any summer evening, most of the people I see will have a beer or a cocktail in their hand. Thats relaxing, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I am right now sitting in my pilothouse watching my water tank fill having a nice beer after a long days work on the boat. The beer tastes good and I can smell my chicken dinner baking in the oven.

A song is on the stereo from the movie "lost boys" and all is well.

Where we get into trouble is operating the boat and or drinking or potting or whatever you're into to excess (brought up pot because its legal in several states now) .

My recommendation is not to judge, kick back, relax and enjoy.

Last edited:
Never underway. Moored, no issues.

My recommendation is not to judge, kick back, relax and enjoy.

Wifey B: The purpose of this thread was not to judge. We'll do that when the topic is different and some are claiming they are fine at the helm while drinking or when we see the insane operators zipping through Biscayne Bay, obviously not in trawlers. It was simply to see if the numbers here would be consistent with what we've observed and the opinions we've had of how much drinking is being done.

See .....the judgement has already been voiced, several times.

Many prolific members here have already made their opinion known public AND privately in at least one other thread.

Not really all that hard from the tone of some posts anyhow.

Will have one beer per night while at anchor, tied to the dock, or sitting at home, never underway in boat or car. Been that way for the last 20 years; no plans or need to change.

Ted

It was fun

I don't have a coffee addiction. Only drink it when someone else has made it. (Thank you Steve and Patty for coffee and breakfast -- great waffles! -- last Sunday on Cary'd Away!)

Pittsburg,CA TFer get-together... initial arrivals Cary'd Away, Carquinez Coot and FlyWright
img_321672_0_7bbd60c0b6f7a17df701953679f6ef29.jpg
It was a great get together, great food, good conversation, I'm ready for the next one. And Hey, no one fell in.

I don't drink alcohol at all. But I do wear shoes. :hide:

Last edited:
I never drink while underway. But I do wear shoes. :hide:

Wifey B: Now you have me curious...maybe a correlation....maybe another poll....combining all possible combinations..:D

I don't think so!

Greetings,
Ms. BB (Wifey). Perhaps a poll to correlate drinkers, heavy or otherwise, with those who have the wrong anchor or the wrong footwear. The plot thickens like day old oatmeal...
pzz.gif

Greetings,
Ms. BB (Wifey). Perhaps a poll to correlate drinkers, heavy or otherwise, with those who have the wrong anchor or the wrong footwear. The plot thickens like day old oatmeal...

Wifey B: And those who have had their shoes stolen while viewing a boat at a boat show...allegedly by someone we know on a Nordhavn....

This is almost enough to drive one to drink...

No drinking tonight though...we have a long passage tomorrow

I feel tipsy even without drinking underway.

For us the same alcohol laws that apply to driving a car also apply to boats. And specifically, if at anchor there has to someone on board with a boat license who is under 0.05%. Tied to a dock you are free to drink as much as you want, but of remain responsible for your behavior.

So on the hook it is usually just one drink for me, although a glass of wine at lunch might also be followed by one with dinner as well.

WOW so on the hook you must have a DD??? That would kill us here in the U.S.A.....:eek:

WOW so on the hook you must have a DD??? That would kill us here in the U.S.A.....:eek:

Wifey B: Maybe laws like that and the 132' Broward Serque wouldn't have just ended up on the beach in Staniel.....:rofl: Actually we don't know why or how it floated to shore, just that it was a big salvage job getting it off.

Wifey B: Maybe laws like that and the 132' Broward Serque wouldn't have just ended up on the beach in Staniel.....:rofl: Actually we don't know why or how it floated to shore, just that it was a big salvage job getting it off.

See drinking provides jobs and income....:socool::flowers:

See drinking provides jobs and income....:socool::flowers:

Bartenders
Cocktail waitresses
Brewmeisters
7/11 owners
A&D counselors
Police Officers
ER docs and nurses
Bail bondsmen
Morticians

(Just kiddin' y'all; I love the stuff!). :D

Wifey B: I sort of like felt it but seeing it here sort of still surprises me that 43% drink daily and 69% at least 2-3 times a week. Guess I've led a sheltered life...Not. I wonder how that relates to the general population, same age demographics.

Hubby B: Answering her question a bit, but just for the US. It appears that perhaps this group drinks more frequently than the general population. The percentage of non-drinkers is consistent, but only 56% of the adult population drank in the past month.

However, I think there's another area where this group is different. 25% of those in the US admitted to binge drinking in the past month. That's 5 or more drinks on one occasion or otherwise defined as getting intoxicated or drunk. 7% admitted to binge drinking 5 or more days during the past month. I suspect that the group here is more mature in their drinking habits than that.

So perhaps drinks more regularly or frequently but doesn't follow the pattern of many young people of drinking with the intent of getting drunk.

I do applaud the honesty in answering and the fact this didn't turn into a debate, just information.

I don't think we disclosed our answer earlier.

We would fall in the once or twice a month. We don't drink daily or have a habit of drinking in the evening, but we drink primarily in two situations. We occasionally go to very fine restaurants for multi-course meals where the food is paired with wine. We are by no means wine connoisseurs and have no idea how to pair wines, so we find that interesting and enjoyable. We also occasionally "party" with our friends or guests when none of us have anything important the following day. Typically our drink of choice on those occasions is Champagne. And then we occasionally open Champagne to toast a special occasion of some sort, such as an engagement or something.

Oddly, we just fell into this pattern. No plan. We didn't say this is how much we'll drink. Just fits our lifestyle. Then most days we have the oddest drinking habit of any. We only drink water. No sodas, no tea, no coffee.

Oh and as to beer, we have zero interest. As to mixed drinks or hard liquor or shots or things of that nature, not often. Maybe a couple of times a year. But our alcohol of choice is Champagne.

Oh and as to beer, we have zero interest. As to mixed drinks or hard liquor or shots or things of that nature, not often. Maybe a couple of times a year. But our alcohol of choice is Champagne.

If Champagne is your choice, and you are not a purist, let me recommend trying two shots of limoncello in your flue of champagne on a hot day. Yes please. We learned this combo from our Italian friend while living in the UK.

If Champagne is your choice, and you are not a purist, let me recommend trying two shots of limoncello in your flue of champagne on a hot day. Yes please. We learned this combo from our Italian friend while living in the UK.

Well, we googled it and may have to try it one day.

When wondering if this group drinks more than the general population, have you considered that you posed the original question about how much they drink while cruising.

When we cruise we're often with other boats and friends. In that scenario I drink more once we're anchored or tied to a dock somewhere than I do at home. I probably average 3-4 drinks a day when we're on the boat. At home it's more like 1 or 2 per week.

Possibly your question skewed the results of your poll.

At a boaters' get-together at dock, it is common to be in party mode!

When wondering if this group drinks more than the general population, have you considered that you posed the original question about how much they drink while cruising.

When we cruise we're often with other boats and friends. In that scenario I drink more once we're anchored or tied to a dock somewhere than I do at home. I probably average 3-4 drinks a day when we're on the boat. At home it's more like 1 or 2 per week.

Possibly your question skewed the results of your poll.

Wifey B: Good point but my question was what I wanted to know. You're right on hubby's wondering but then he just should wonder if trawler people drink more cruising than people at home or whatever. Sure other people drink more on vacation. So you're right in your point.

I'd say we drink more often at home than cruising but not a lot of diff. But then we don't spend that many weekends at home and even when we're home we're often not, cause we like run to Key West or somewhere. Very few weekends we don't get out on the water.

Thinking back to non boating vacations when we took them and if traveling we didn't drink but like when spending a week somewhere we would sometimes.

Guess the whole thing was we've been surprised at the drinking at a lot of marinas and people doing it every night. We've never been in an environment before where that much drinking took place and the poll does confirm our perceptions. I'm sure people are just as shocked that a wild bratty kid like me and all our friends and we're on the boat at night and not drinking. There's really very little booze consumed on our boat. The poll clearly indicates we're the exception, not the rule, but then I'm use to being the exception, just this time it's flipped and I'm not the "bad girl." We make up for it in other ways I guess. We may rank in the lower 25% on drinking but I bet there are things we rank in the top 1% on. :devil:

I'm my observation, boating attracts drinkers.

But try living in a sailing town in the UK like Lymington or Cows! They put the American "drinkers" into near tee-totaler status.

Last edited:
Maybe, but you're certainly not the only exception.:)

Wifey B: No. Just part of the exceptional group. Ooops...that term can be used good or bad....who cares. We'll take it. :)

I'm sure everyone has heard some town make this claim:

Annapolis - "A drinking town with a sailing problem."

Yeah, pretty much true.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom