Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. frg. Just went through the YW listing. She is purdy indeed!
A few observations: It appears ALL exterior teak has been painted over. Now this is either a blessing or a curse. Blessing: little to no maintenance, "cleaner" look, easier overcoat if necessary. Curse: Why was this done? What is the paint hiding? Some prefer the contrast of dark teak coloring against the white paint.
Lots of messy rattle can "tune up" in the ER. Again, what defects, if any, is the PO trying to hide?
Take a careful look at inaccessible spots. This is where a digital camera held a arms length in behind stuff and into cubby holes comes in handy. Can't see behind something? The camera can. Make notes as to what each picture is. Don't lose the notes (don't ask me why).
Also inspect typical areas of leakage like under windows or around fittings. Have "decorative" moldings been added? Have these areas been painted or over veneered? Are there glops of sealant/caulking around anything both inside and outside. Has silicone sealant been used anywhere?
What do the through hulls look like? Are they easily movable? Are the hoses in serviceable condition and well clamped?
Given your medical condition, age and physical size(NO insult or offense intended, we all are what we are) can you readily reach and service outboard areas of the motors?
As you're fully aware, GET A GOOD SURVEY!!!
Oh, did I mention...do NOT allow emotions to enter into ANY aspect of inspection or negotiations. Up until the ink dries on both the sales receipt and your $100 bills, be fully prepared to walk away.

Ahoy Boat-Searcher George!

RT gives excellent advice. Follow it...

If I may add - Be VERY Careful to have the stringers checked for rot in their wood interior form if that boat was built in that way (some had close cell foam) and especially if the wood interior was meant for structural stability and not just a mold where FRP was well integrated into boat's bottom. Also, check the transom for rot as some boats had solid FRP bottom and hull sides but cold-lam transom.

Cheers! - Art :D

Greetings,
Mr. Ns. A bit touchy last evening? I think Mr. frg answered my query quite well in his post #204 and I feel confident that he can "bless" the fleet in such a manner as to include any and all deities/powers/controllers/overseers and FSM's in an all encompassing manner. PC has little to do with my comment. Simply being polite and considerate.

George,

I started a more extensive reply yesterday, with pictures, but my computer failed me.

RT gives great advice, but unfortunately, some reason that beautiful boat is still on the market. When I bought mine, most of these folks would have shook their heads regarding the condition. It is old, but was mostly original, solid, and nothing I could not live with. The "features" and the Price sold me.

One of the features, and my question to you, is Transom Dog access.
Do you have a good way to get Patrick on and off the boat? This was a huge driver for us.

Attachments

• Winter Sun.JPG
    Winter Sun.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 117
RTF brings up a major consideration and that is engine room access. Put simply, can an operator get to the components in the engine room that might need attention or repair underway? These include pumps, filters, seacocks, belts, hoses, and shaft packing glands.

This kind of access becomes REALLY important in my opinion if the boat has only one engine. With a multi-engine boat if a problem requires an engine to be shut down one can keep going on the remaining engine(s) and deal with the problem, or hire someone to deal with it, when one's in port.

With a single-engine boat you either fix the problem yourself or you come home on the end of a potentially expensive rope. And if you can't physically get to the problem, you can't fix it.

I think RTF's caution is one of the most critical items on the "should we buy this boat" question list, and I suspect it's the most overlooked item, particularly with first-time buyers who often get caught up in the color of the setee cushions, the nice stateroom setup, and the pretty teak veneer on the "walls."

Fr. Geo,

Here's an article posted in the Californian section on the Californian 42 LRC.

There are also Californian owners posting in the Californian Section who might have some insight for you. Here's a thread discussing the 42 flooring with some of the posters.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s24/42-lrc-teak-holly-floor-removal-13141.html

I've never been on a 42 LRC but hear it's very similar to the 37/38. Edelweiss is a resident expert on that vessel and could probably share lots of good info with you. He's owned his 37 since it was new.

Good luck on your surveys and sea trial. Ask away if you have any questions or need any help in the process!!

One key rule, in fact the most important rule, not yet mentioned:

If the Admiral is happy with the boat, you will be happy with the boat!

One key rule, in fact the most important rule, not yet mentioned:

If the Admiral is happy with the boat, you will be happy with the boat!

Truer words were never spoken!

So excited about survey and sea trial next week. Bidding prayers for everyone's safety and a happy conclusion to our boat search!

If the trials go south, do not let emotion make your decsion for you. Keep commomn sense about you. Good Luck this next week...

If the trials go south, do not let emotion make your decsion for you. Keep commomn sense about you. Good Luck this next week...

Ditto X 10 - To A S-D's cautionary statement "... do not let emotion make your decision for you."

Purchase of an incorrect boat, especially for a newbie with age on his bones who is stretching to limits of available capital, can become disastrously financially and health-wise catastrophic. Can we spell "A Real - Bummer!"

Think very carefully regarding all parameters before you plunk down that chunk of capital, to seal the deal. If after all the surveys, tests, and your own thoughts you feel the price is simply too high then do not be bashful for stating so and under guidance of knowledgeable boat-wise individuals make your reduced offer. You are getting into some real "horse trading" steely eyed deliberations now.

Before you make final decision of yes take at least a night or two to sleep on it. These are my recommendations, YRMV!

George - We've spoken on phone and I know you have your head together. In the sentence I place above... "Purchase of an incorrect boat..." The word incorrect spans the gauntlet of reasons why any boat may be "incorrect" for the purchaser.

Super Duper Best Luck! :thumb:

Art :D

PS: If you like, keep us a breast as items unfold. Posted statements accompanied by pictures can tell a thousand words. Although my next week is over burdened busy there are many on TF that may be of guidance while you move forward; I will do my best to read any posts.

My last post was too late to be helpful. I reviewed the Californian. It looks nice. No iron tanks, no teak deck or windows, that alone avoids many of the problems common on 1980's Taiwan made trawlers. I like the lower maintence exterior design. No teak. You can always paint the trim brown.

The 1999 re power twin cats have very low hours. Cats can last 20000 hrs. Why were the original engines replaced/rebuilt? If due to high hours, many other systems may also be tired from extended cruising.

Btw are you planning to be at the dock with guests mostly or serious cruisers? This boat is good for either. The large water heater and washing machine ,and three ac units are great at the dock, not on the hook. Well equipped boat. A 42 is a lot of boat for a first boat. Twins but no thruster. An hour with the broker is not enough, good idea to hire a training captain.

Good luck

We sure will. I plan on taking photos and posting throughout the day of the survey. I hope u folks care to follow along.

Thank you Art and everyone for all positive help and words of wisdom.

The 1999 re power twin cats have very low hours. Cats can last 20000 hrs. Why were the original engines replaced/rebuilt? If due to high hours, many other systems may also be tired from extended cruising.

Good luck

It is my understanding one engine went out. It was removed and replaced with an overhauled engine. Hours were high on the other so it was also pulled and overhauled at same time.

The washer is a joke. It is down in engine room where u have to crawl around to get to it. I think if we get boat we will take it out and sell it.

Thanks for the great post and help!

It is my understanding one engine went out. It was removed and replaced with an overhauled engine. Hours were high on the other so it was also pulled and overhauled at same time.

The washer is a joke. It is down in engine room where u have to crawl around to get to it. I think if we get boat we will take it out and sell it.

Thanks for the great post and help!

How many thousands of hours were on the engines? One that went out and needed complete replacement and the other needing complete overhaul?

That boat must have a very large amount of used hours?? Find out about the transmissions. Enormous hours must be on them too... ever rebuilt or replaced with new?

I suggest complete fluid tests performed on engines and transmissions. Speak with your surveyor and/or your marine mechanic about sending the fluid samples for comprehensive tests. Results can tell a lot about actual internal conditions of mechanical apparatus.

Good note on trans . Samples will be taken

Survey tomorrow!!!! Anxious as a whore on nickel night.

Can't believe my PC just typed that. ;-)

Looking forward to your update, George! Best of luck to you both!

Go George - GO! But, be very careful before plunking down that big load o' cash!

Survey tomorrow!!!! Anxious as a whore on nickel night.

Can't believe my PC just typed that. ;-)

Remember, a survey is not a pass-fail process. It's simply a report by a person who hopefully knows what to look for and knows how to recognize problems or potential problems.

It's up to YOU to take the surveyors' reports and decide if the the boat passes or fails.

Also know that most surveyors tend to specialize in either hull/systems or engines. So in most cases, it's wise to get both a hull/systems surveyor and an engine surveyor involved.

When we had the boat we subsequently bought surveyed, the first surveyor scheduled was the engine surveyor. He did his work with the main engines and generator while the boat was in the water (obviously). The hull surveyor then showed up and did the first part of his survey while the boat was still in the water. Then he had the boat pulled, and he finished up his exterior hull survey when the boat had been blocked and braced in the yard.

And, there are 2 prices. The one before, and the one after survey. both require negotiation. No matter how much you allow for some defect, cost usually exceeds allowances. You have to be firm, with the seller, and with yourself. There is always going to be another boat if this ones misses the mark and/or you can`t get proper fair allowances. You negotiate best when you are prepared to walk if they don`t meet your requests. Even then a seller may come back to you later. This is not an occasion when (except in atypical circumstances) trust in human nature is sure to be reward you.

Would be interesting to look in the log and find out how many hours were "high hours", wearing out an engine.

Never heard on a cruising boat actually wearing out a diesel.

Killing it , sure no problem , but wearing it out is a Sport Fish common hassle.

Not common with a 2-5 GPH fuel burn.

I was thinking we needed a Fleet Chaplain. I'm sure Friar George can come up with a nice Non Denominational Blessing of the Fleet.

I thought we needed a Fleet Friar (FF), not to be confused with FF.:confused:

I recommend that before final plunk-down of any meaningful purchase cash that you provide us on TF with what you and the surveyors find out about that boat. There are several very savvy boaters on TF who (as you already know) will offer their (our) free opinions. As Always - Final Call is Up to You!

Enjoy this experience!!

No Richard, what we need is a Fleet Fryer. We've decided that Friar George will assume both rolls.

Short update. Survey is going extremely well!ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427915981.948858.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427916000.216295.jpg

George, she looks good hanging in the sling. Hope all goes well for you!

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Yes, that was me you saw when you were proceeding west up the New River AND, the boat looks good. Sorry I didn't recognize your Admiral waving. I'll try not to let it happen again...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom