Californian 34 LRC Fuel Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine were replaced before I bought the boat so I don't have a cost estimate, but I have an idea of how they did it.

On my boat, the area aft of the salon hatch to the aft door threshold was cut out for tank removal. The hole was the width of the hatch and ran from the fwd hatch edge to the door threshold. New tanks of the same size (125 gal each) were fitted and then the flooring was replaced. My cabin floor is carpeted.

I cut my old leaking tanks out with a sawz-all, a piece at a time. Replaced them with moeller poly tanks, 4-40 gallon and 1-50 gallon mother tank that the 40's transfer into. Was a pita but most things on a boat are... Have fun.

I replaced my steel tanks with aluminum a while ago. I was able to slide them out the engine hatch by myself. Had to cut @ inch out of the stringer. I have tank diagrams and more detail if you want to email me mhoman7078@aol.com. The quote was to fabricate 2 3/16 alum tanks as per email with all fittings and new senders, shipping included $2780.00 s/s tanks $3760.00. I ended up picking them up and bringing them on a boat trailer in 2007 from NJ mailto:info@custommarinefueltanks.com Custom Marine most likely will still have the specs but I still have a paper copy of my drawings. You do have to move the genset and to the side and remove the 2x4 support behind the engine to get the tanks out without having to cut them. I used boards and blocks and a come-a-long to pull the tanks out and slid them up the engine hatch. Maybe I should have cut them up but I didn't. You should put rubber strips under the new tanks and bolt them down. I put new hoses and fill hardware. If you have the yard do it plan on 10k.

I replaced one of my 160 gal. aluminum tanks about 12 years ago. I had it done by cutting a hole in aft cockpit sole and sliding the tank out/back in across the transom (boat yard did the work). Sounded drastic at the time, but repair was sound with no issues to date. Don't have details of the cost (lots of other things done at the same time) - probably too dated anyway. Tank dimensions are 15h x 32w x 77l.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom