Any advice for traveling between Rochester and Albany?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Have never been on this stretch of water. I have looked at the lock fee schedule. But would like input on how early you can make the trip, options for overnight, fuel stops, best places to stop over for good food, any trouble spots one should be aware of?
Or anything else one should know as a first timer.

I just saw Erie Canal observations Post

It's really easy. There are a ton of free docks at the various towns along with way. There is no anchoring allowed but you won't need it.

Wonderful trip. Give some thought before you go to how you can hook into 15 amp shore power. You may find these outlets at some of the town docks. Also big fenders you don't mind getting dirty for the lock walls. Gloves for the crew handling lines in the locks.

Suggest you consider a couple of days visit to Fairport, just east of Rochester. Lovely town, nice docks right in the center of things.

Great trip. Travel time is hard to gauge due to lock traffic and many interesting places to stop. Watch out for all the water spiders around Syracuse!

Buffalo to Albany on NY Canal

Pgitug

We do sections of this a lot and some not as often but I'll attach a file of notes for the Oswego to Buffalo section. If you need more on the Eastern section I can do the same - might even help me prep for a trip we're making in July to Albany then Lk Champlain.

By early I'm assuming you mean early season - NY Canals officially open May1st +/- depending on conditions each yr - some yrs have seen delays in sections due to high water - there is a NY Canal Notice to Mariners webpage where you can get current info and/or sign up for auto updates of new info.
If you are used to locking NY shouldn't be any problem - only challenge is there isn't much consistency of how you tie up - some have recessed rigid pipes, some cables (attached top & bot) others just lines secured at top only ... all have ladders at both ends... Need to be flexible & prepared for surprises...

Are you gas or diesel? - generally fuel readily available but I can possibly recommend a few quality locations where quality may be better.

Seneca & Cayuga nice side trip if time permits - Seneca (out home) has the cleanest water you'll find anywhere in the NY system

Some highlights E of 3 Rivers - Sylvan beach - wall, marinas, restaurants; Utica; Little Falls; Near Albany we usually stop at Schenectady Yacht Club near the top of the flight down to the Hudson - they have fuel, pool & nice friendly folks - bottom of the flight there is wall & restaurants which are popular but we haven't stayed there (yet). Oneida Lk is shallow & rocky best to just stay in the marked channel and you are fine.

Early season frequently you need to watch for debris if water was high recently.

In addition to the guides mentioned already I'd suggest Active Capt - they have a lot of info for this section and it generally more current than printed guides.

If you want more PM me and I can send more and/or give you a cell # if you have any questions B/4 or during your trip.

Attachments

• Cruising Notes NY Canal.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 51
Pgitug

We do sections of this a lot and some not as often but I'll attach a file of notes for the Oswego to Buffalo section. If you need more on the Eastern section I can do the same - might even help me prep for a trip we're making in July to Albany then Lk Champlain.

By early I'm assuming you mean early season - NY Canals officially open May1st +/- depending on conditions each yr - some yrs have seen delays in sections due to high water - there is a NY Canal Notice to Mariners webpage where you can get current info and/or sign up for auto updates of new info.

If you are used to locking NY shouldn't be any problem - only challenge is there isn't much consistency of how you tie up - some have recessed rigid pipes, some cables (attached top & bot) others just lines secured at top only ... all have ladders at both ends... Need to be flexible & prepared for surprises...

Are you gas or diesel? - generally fuel readily available but I can possibly recommend a few quality locations where quality may be better.

Seneca & Cayuga nice side trip if time permits - Seneca (out home) has the cleanest water you'll find anywhere in the NY system

Some highlights E of 3 Rivers - Sylvan beach - wall, marinas, restaurants; Utica; Little Falls; Near Albany we usually stop at Schenectady Yacht Club near the top of the flight down to the Hudson - they have fuel, pool & nice friendly folks - bottom of the flight there is wall & restaurants which are popular but we haven't stayed there (yet). Oneida Lk is shallow & rocky best to just stay in the marked channel and you are fine.

Early season frequently you need to watch for debris if water was high recently.

In addition to the guides mentioned already I'd suggest Active Capt - they have a lot of info for this section and it generally more current than printed guides.

If you want more PM me and I can send more and/or give you a cell # if you have any questions B/4 or during your trip.

Hey great information. We will be traveling the east half of the canal starting at Albany and going to Lake Oneida and back. So any additional information for that stretch would be good.

Hey great information. We will be traveling the east half of the canal starting at Albany and going to Lake Oneida and back. So any additional information for that stretch would be good.

I will put something together and post it.
What size are you? Gas / diesel? Where are you starting from Albany or further away?

We did a mid May trip from Rochester (Lake side) to Ct via the canal several years ago. There was very little traffic. We saw only one or two boats going east (our direction) and maybe a dozen or so going west (mostly Canadians).
Little Falls is a nice stop but you have to pay a little for electricity and showers, but the showers are very nice.
Canajoharie has a free dock, free power and water, a couple of good places to eat.
Waterford is a good stop.
Amsterdam too.
Those are places you can find restaurants, groceries, etc.
There are also several remote places with nothing around (we like those).
If you are going to cross Lake Oneida it chops up pretty bad in a west or east wind, figure on a choppy ride.
The wild card will be the water levels and amount of debris. You won't know that answer until you are ready to make the trip. Be ready to cancel, because when it floods, it floods quickly.

I was the original poster to the Erie Canal observations thread, and if you have read that and all of the postings above you probably have a pretty good picture.

Sylvan Beach at the east end of Lake Oneida was the highlight of our trip. We were there on a warm summer weekend and there was a never ending procession of small boats, big boats, and party boats of all kinds by our dock just east of the lake. Also a fireworks show at night.

The only other thing I might add is that it is really easy. No anchoring required (or allowed) and little problem with wind or current. No worries, mon!

Enjoy your trip!

David

Yeah.
take the Thruway. It'll take less than two hours.

Updated NY Canal Cruising Notes

Pgitug

Here is an updated file which includes the eastern half of the NY Canal system.

I have also included a chart w/ distances for the NY Canals

I'll repeat my earlier recommendation for Active Captain - it's a very good and easy to use resource.

Attachments

• Cruising Notes NY Canal.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Erie Canal Port Distances (SM).pdf
    55 KB · Views: 42
Have never been on this stretch of water. I have looked at the lock fee schedule. But would like input on how early you can make the trip, options for overnight, fuel stops, best places to stop over for good food, any trouble spots one should be aware of?
Or anything else one should know as a first timer.

Pgitug...

Just rec'd the attached NTM re: 2015 canal opening.

A word of caution based on experience... the early season operation is very dependent on Wx - one good storm can shut down sections for some time.
Also - be cautious traveling early - I've been involved w/ a Hudson River delivery cruise that was less than wonderful. See pic

Attachments

• Notice to Mariners 04-21-2015.pdf
    165.3 KB · Views: 69
  • _68.jpg
    _68.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 143
Pgitug

Good information.
Our trip will be from Lake Oneida to New York City. We are diesel.

Recommend Illion, nice marina close to town, if you are so inclined, try and get a tour of Remington factory.

Pgitug

Any help on going from lake Oneida to NY city.. Places to dock, eat, things to see..

Any help on going from lake Oneida to NY city.. Places to dock, eat, things to see..

I'd recommend stopping at Ilion. Voss' has a food stand there, they're a local institution.

Pgitug
The only additional recommendation I'd make for the Hudson R portion of your trip is Haverstraw Marina. I'm a little surprised at the negative reviews on Active Capt. This is a large and fairly expensive marina but we found the folks agreeable and the restaurant was good - we didn't take advantage of the pool.
The yard - attached but managed separately is a full service yard and that was our reason for stopping as we needed to be pulled and props replaced after the incident w/ the log pictured in the earlier reply.

We've done the whole canal system 2x+ times. Haven't gone out lately, as we have been enjoying our new location on the Niagara River. I have a canal information section on my website at RochesterBoating.Com

Sharon and I just arrived (this morning) in Toronto on a delivering a 40 Sea Ray from Beaufort NC. The canal this week is an absolute minefield of debris. $1350.00 and two days for a prop repair.. We did the entire Canal at 4-6knots because of the debris.

Hope they get this cleaned up soon because it is one of my favourite cruising grounds.
Cruising the NY State Canals.

Back
Top Bottom