Greymarine diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DAFF

Has anyone ever had Grey marine products ?? Looking at a pair of 427 diesels and was looking for real world advice. There complete with transmissions and are from a 38' steel boat.

Might be Grey Marine's version of the Detroit Diesel 6-71. That happens to be 426 cu in, or depending on how you calc it, could be 427. Grey marinized many of these, mostly for US military around WW2, and decades after.

If that is what it is, good machine. But could be VERY old.

Can you post a photo? I can ID one of those in 3sec.

Here is the side view.... So the million dollar question. What's it worth?? Will it be super loud?

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    $_35.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 322
I don't know what it is but I know what it's not is a 6-71 Detroit.

I have no idea what that base engine is. Like above, it's not a 671.

Seller stated they are a 427 with 130HP inline six. However they are very clean for a fresh removal with 890 hours.

I have a Greymarine diesel in the Island Seeker. It's a 4 cylinder though. Mine is based on a Continental engine, 277 cu-in 50hp @ 2000 rpm. It was used in Massey Ferguson tractors for decades. I love it. It's and air-cell combustion chamber design with double balance shafts so very clean and smooth.
I don't recognize what you are showing us but it certainly is not a 671 Detroit.

Last edited:
Last time I heard of Greymarines was back in the 70's in older Jersey Sea Skiff I think.

Doesn't mean much.....sometimes where you are and the type of boating you are into can take you out of certain loops.

no history cards or maintenance logs or contact numbers for mechs or repair?

Here is the side view.... So the million dollar question. What's it worth?? Will it be super loud?

There's currently a "vintage military surplus Continental TD427" diesel engine on Ebay. Looks like it was primarily a military genset power plant, and I believe Massey Harris (now Massey Ferguson) used it in their Model 44 diesel tractor in the early 50's. The engines might be worth something to a tractor collector....

Last edited:
The engine and the coolant tank visible have many similarities to the Gray Marine/Continental 4 cylinder Brooksie talks about (I had one too). It is almost certainly the 427 cubic inch Continental marinized by Gray Marine. Monte's Equipment in Chicago know them, and have parts. They would be very smooth, durable engines. Monte's may know someone interested in them.

An unknown engine , even for free is not worth the time to install it.

There will be few parts , after you finally figure out where it came from.

If you displacement trawler power look at an International DT360 or DT 466.

These come from skool buses and since they are free , are seldom recovered after a brand new bus crashes.

At very low prices at the wreckers , why bother with an unknown ancient engine?

If it WERE a 6-71 , I would say go for it .

The international DT 360 and 466 are available with electric injection , or on the older engines mechanical injection.

SAE bellhousing , so a Twin Disc will bolt up.

If you can get parts for them, say from that Chicago outfit posted above, I'd say why not. No worse than running a Ford Lehman or Perkins, as long as parts are available they can be patched up for years more of service.

Is Continental still building engines? I know they had a near lock on military stuff for decades.

The gears look like normal ol' Borg Warners, which are in service everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom