Unbelievable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My point exactly about how a tiny stone can do so much damage.

Imagine what a storm can do with something that becomes unsecured.

Why have a boat made to a standard that's even harder to protect than a new cars paint finish. Even that does pretty well out in the environment at 60mph.

Not for me..but I do respect not dragging large amounts of mud in places they are present or following the customs of another.

Interesting topic. As Canadians, the wife and I were somewhat surprised when our American friends insisted / suggested we leave our shoes on whenever we dropped by their homes for a visit. We just assumed it was a gesture of friendship, they were being thoughtful ie: cold floors, convenience, etc., but we always took them off anyway. We considered it extremely impolite or arrogant not to. I had not even considered the possibility they might actually prefer that we leave them on.

As to our boat, I believe sock feet is an invitation to an accident and we advise our guests to leave their shoes on if they prefer.

Hey wait a minute. I saw Nordy Oliver there at the palm Beach Shoe. Come to think of it, he was not wearing the usual ratty flip flops!;)
Love it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Did I mention that for the rest of the day I was checking out people's shoes instead of looking at the things I really came to the show to see?

I thought about that. I know that I would also be on the lookout for someone wearing them for the rest of the day. Trouble is that if you thought you spotted them, could you be absolutely sure? What would you do?

I know how to tell a sure sign of guilt..if the suspect takes off later this week for the Bahamas, say Abacos. I'd keep an eye out for suspicious behavior like that.

Years ago, we were displaying Salvation II (first Nordhavn to circumnavigate) at the Seattle Boat Show (January). There were about 4-5 inches of snow on the dock. We required shoes to be taken off. Late in the day, a gentleman came aboard wearing a business suit. Obviously, took off early from his job. There were quite a few people aboard at the time he arrived but after visiting for awhile everyone else had left. When he went to put his (dress black) shoes on, the only shoes on the dock was a pair of old, ratty boat shoes, at least 3 sizes smaller than his.

We felt terrible......what to do? He had to walk several blocks to his car and the ratty, too small boat shoes just wouldn't fit.

He ended up wrapping his feet in paper towels (insulation) and we gave him zip lock bags (doubled) to make the walk to his car. We never could understand why someone would steal dress shoes that were obviously several sizes larger than what they wore.

Reference an earlier post about using a fanny bag.
Apologies for lapsing into fundamental speak, a reference to a 'Fanny' in Ireland/England is err a ladies sexual apparatus, it's why many Americans get 'funny' looks if they mention it in conversation as a tourist, a butt is for collecting rainwater. (I suppose the crack channel the water).
It's just a language thing.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your experience. We live up on the Treasure Coast and declined to make the trip as we figured parking, hassles etc. would be a pain. It's sad to say, but anything south of Martin County anymore is getting really bad for congestion, crime, traffic, etc. We moved up here after 20 years in Jupiter which we thought was becoming to much like Boca :)
To each his own, but sure is nice on the northern side of things, especially the boating!

I would ask the boat salesman to reimburse you, but good luck with that.

I thought about that. I know that I would also be on the lookout for someone wearing them for the rest of the day. Trouble is that if you thought you spotted them, could you be absolutely sure? What would you do?

Since the insoles were one day old I would recognize them by taking the shoes off and looking. Step 1, beat the crap out of the guy, 2, rip the shoes off his feet, step 3, apologize if they weren't mine. Hard to believe, but I'm starting to find the whole thing funny. BTW, we are in Stuart FL.

Since the insoles were one day old I would recognize them by taking the shoes off and looking. Step 1, beat the crap out of the guy, 2, rip the shoes off his feet, step 3, apologize if they weren't mine. Hard to believe, but I'm starting to find the whole thing funny. BTW, we are in Stuart FL.

Moral of story...if one has to take their shoes off in a public and easily accessed area, then carry the shoes.

Then if your shoe is stolen you only have to check out the one legged people at the boat show.

Did you check out the salesman shoes before leaving the boat ?

Of course I did. I didn't even like the salesman's shoes.

Not to thread drift but we have a rule on our boat . If it's left on the boat 24hrs it's ours . That goes for beer , wine , liquor , towels , shoes or whatever .It's funny I heard my daughters talking on the boat the other day and one said " don't forget that CD ,you know they got that 24 hr thing . "

I hate you got your shoes stolen. That really sucks . My dad always said you can judge a mans character by looking at his shoes first . I'm sure they were some nice ones . If you get another pair maybe try another color and maybe just maybe you'll find that you like the new ones even more .

Well, I have tons of tennis shoes, basketball shoes, walking shoes, and deck shoes....none of which I picked out myself. Prior to meeting my wife I wore boring shoes every day. That changed. If they make a shoe in a particular color, I'm sure I either have it or have had it. She likes shoes.

Marty, thanks for the encouragement. I'll talk to my therapist tomorrow.

May those who love us love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: OMG!
That's gonna get some play!:thumb:
That was great!

I left oars in a dinghy, came back to find them gone, 2 fence paling/pickets left in their place. Low act, seems we get a better class of thief here.

I hate taking shoes off as I wear them to protect from cleats and other boat hazards.

Wearing good deck shoes is indeed a safety benefit. I don't think anyone here is advocating not wearing them under normal circumstances. But the boat show thing with hundreds of people traipsing through boats that are in the water or on display in the exhibit hall is another matter.

I think the thread title accurately states my stance on the allegations made against me.

My dad always said you can judge a mans character by looking at his shoes first.

That doesn''t say much for poor Mason while he had to walk the docks with a pair of blown-out flip-flops.:eek:

Oliver, don't worry, I know that Nordy owners probably have custom made shoes and wouldn't want mine. I never suspected you.

A physio told me wearing boat shoes too often can cause plantar fasciititis. The thief may get his just desserts.

A physio told me wearing boat shoes too often can cause plantar fasciititis. The thief may get his just desserts.

That makes a lot of sense if referring to the typical lightweight slip-on's. They provide no support. When we're doing a lot of walking, we tend more toward boat shoes that are more like tennis shoes. Well, in fact, we wear tennis shoes a lot and I'm not speaking generic but those for playing tennis. They're designed for grip but not to damage the courts. If wearing traditional deck shoes, a gel insert can help a lot.

If he walks a mile in my shoes he'll be sorry.

Then if your shoe is stolen you only have to check out the one legged people at the boat show.

Should be easy to spot as he usually has an eye patch & a crutch with a mangy looking cocky on the shoulder, who screeches out various lower deck nautical phrases.

Could be any one of a number of Forum members.

Not the 'mods' though of course, they are all fine upstanding ladies and gentlemen, it's the other swabs I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Boat shoes are the easy to slip on and off kind...because so many want you to take them off so much.

Otherwise...any shoe can be a boat shoe.....:thumb:

Maybe they should be called yacht shoes instead....:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom