Are you too old to live the dream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diesel Duck

Colombia, South America and Huatulco, Mexico
How old is too old to live the dream?

Hoping this video will provide some motivation for someone thinking they've past the point in age that it's too late to live the dream.

Note: I have no affiliation with Nordhavn other than my seven years as a Nordhavn Dreamer until I discovered SHM Diesel Ducks.

Last edited:
The random fates of the Universe have smiled upon that fella...my Dad's the same age and lives in a 5 minute dimentia induced bubble of memory.

Good lesson though, in that if your health remains good you can always attain a dream :thumb:

I'm 75 and my biggest problem is arthritis that has claimed some agility and bendability in the tight places. Also the ability to just do work is much less now .. at home too. Sometimes I walk a bit funny the next day.

But I'm not complaining at all. There are guys like the 83 yr old above but I know he's not common. I know a guy in the Albineer's Club that lives In BC and did a loop trailering his A25 to Minnisota. I think he made the trailer. He was 84 at the time. He and his wife went down the big river, across the gulf, up the coast and back to within 23 miles of where they launched. He made a blog of it all and he's a delightful man to be around .. very positive. His positivity is probably what propels him.

Too old to dream?

I hope I'm not too old. My plan is to cast off the bow lines in 3 years. I've had 4 back/neck surgeries, plus assorted other "old man" issues. I walk a little funny and can't bend so well. But I try and keep active and have 2 more years at work. I am "only" 63 and feel 83. But, the dream lives on. I figure, I can have aches and pains on the couch watching TV or on the ICW traveling south. I will pick the water every time. Hopefully, I can still do some of my own engine maint., otherwise I'll break out the check book. I plan on spending the kids inheritance.

Everybody is different, the year we msde the jump across the Pacific there was a old guy that looked like he might of crossed the Delaware with Washington. He sailed to the Marquesas just fine but we heard he died in the Cook islands.
A close friend had his 70th birthday 100 miles north of Adak idland on he and his Admirals double hand sail from the U.S. to Japan to Alaska trip. He is planning another trip in the next year.
I think active people who stay active can do some amazing things in the later stages of their lives
Hollywood

One issue every one has to address is a debilitating injury or illness.

Depending on how automatic your boat is or how accessible everything is.....just the simple tasks of switching fuel tanks or closing seacocks or cleaning a strainer can be an all or nothing task.

This can happen in your youth or old age.

If it happens and you are stuck someplace expensive and far from home, friends and family....will fixing the situation mean financial ruin?

I don't feel too old yet, but I'm 68 and can feel the "pains of age" every day. I think being on the boat makes me more agile from all the bending, climbing, etc.

I figure if my health stays reasonably good I have 10 more years and I want to make along cruise to Canada before I sell the boat.

Then? Who knows. I'd be happy with this boat for 10 more years.

I'm 66 and this is my last boat (just ask the admiral.) We believe we have a couple more cruises in us. We want to go the PNW for a season or two because all the pictures and videos people have posted. And we want to go back to Mexico. It's a bit of a race as I don't want to cut the lines before I have all the stuff I want done but don't want to delay till I'm too old to do repairs. I feel it for days after having to service the right side of the starboard engine.

I feel it for days after having to service the right side of the starboard engine.
Funny you should mention that. When I last worked on the outboard side of the stbd engine I got my leg twisted around and got my foot caught between the stringers.

I bet it took me 10 minutes to unwind my left/foot and I couldn't walk on it for a couple of days.

Getting old is the pitts but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

This subject surfaces from time-to-time. Often, cruising dreams are thwarted by finance. I tend to get all philosophical about it at those times, and refer to the quote below.

"Where, then, lies the answer? In choice.
Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”
― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

That quote spurred us on to do the cruising thing now, while we have our health. And this thread has spurred me to to put the laptop down and go for a run! :rofl:

HEALTH IS No. 1 Do it now while you can really enjoy it!

Actually for me it's the opposite. 3 more darned years and I'm home free! :)

We were tied up in Port "Big Deal" (McNeil) last summer. The fellow who pulled up behind us in a GB was 88.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

There are many paths...poor health got us into boating.

My wife and I were sea kayakers until a Dodge Ram pickup t-boned my wifes Honda Civic in the drivers side door, which wrecked her shoulder and neck for paddling.

The rules to Life changed, so we bought Badger to get us out there, and to give our daughter a deep, visceral understanding of BC's north coast environment.

If you are asking the question, you may be too old already. This has nothing to do with chronological age.
Seems like you may have some reservations concerning physical condition. Some people are too old at 50 while others are not too old at 75.

JD: That is likely my friend from Saltspring island. He has made uncountable trips to the Charlottes (when that was their name) and to Alaska. Twice he has had heart attacks while at the helm, but still looks forward to yet another summer away on his GB. He and his wife (2 yrs younger) leave in June and return late in August, every year since I have know them (since late 80s)and had been doing the same for years by then.

koliver,
I have known quite a few like that and wonder about it. We lived in Alaska for 8 years receintly and my urge to go back isn't really strong. We've been really busy since we left AK and the urge to go north may return. But so many do it every single year and I often think "why don't they do something different". It almost seems some get in a rut but they seem happy there. And the way I would want to return would take at least all summer and 5 or 6 anchors.

JD: That is likely my friend from Saltspring island. He has made uncountable trips to the Charlottes (when that was their name) and to Alaska. Twice he has had heart attacks while at the helm, but still looks forward to yet another summer away on his GB. He and his wife (2 yrs younger) leave in June and return late in August, every year since I have know them (since late 80s)and had been doing the same for years by then.

I believe this fellow was with RVYC. Had a cat who was deaf..

Jim

Deaf cat did turn to dead, then replaced. Look for them again this summer. As they have aged, the number of nights on the hook has declined, in favor of nights at docks, but still out there every summer.

Chuckle! Same couple then...probably.

Jim

At 66 after two years and 11,000 miles I feel like I'm just getting started at this cruising thing. Health is always the wild card but so far so good.

This was taken a couple of days ago of my daughter, grandson and me on Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas. I just can't see how it can get much better than this.

img_320721_0_5a9abcb746886183b44c266bc69780c1.jpg

Arch

At 66 after two years and 11,000 miles I feel like I'm just getting started at this cruising thing. Health is always the wild card but so far so good.

This was taken a couple of days ago of my daughter, grandson and me on Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas. I just can't see how it can get much better than this.

img_320748_0_5a9abcb746886183b44c266bc69780c1.jpg

Arch

Now if that's not motivational I don't know what is.

Last edited:
My mother always said "Old age is not for sissies" She made 95 and except for Alzheimer's she was full of life. My Dad made 93, his heart gave out in the end, but his brain was as sharp as could be. Neither one of them ever thought about sitting down, they believed in doing as long as you could, you have forever to rest was their belief. At 72, so far I am healthy, my wife is in the ladder stages of Alzheimer's. That slowed me down a lot, and drastically altered our plans for the crushing life. This battle is starting to wear me down, but I hope to do some single handed trips when I can. You have to believe and you can't stop dreaming. It is always a state of mind, other then those health issues.

John

Great picture Arch . Looks like you got it goin on .:thumb:

My mother always said "Old age is not for sissies" She made 95 and except for Alzheimer's she was full of life. My Dad made 93, his heart gave out in the end, but his brain was as sharp as could be. Neither one of them ever thought about sitting down, they believed in doing as long as you could, you have forever to rest was their belief. At 72, so far I am healthy, my wife is in the ladder stages of Alzheimer's. That slowed me down a lot, and drastically altered our plans for the crushing life. This battle is starting to wear me down, but I hope to do some single handed trips when I can. You have to believe and you can't stop dreaming. It is always a state of mind, other then those health issues.

John
Sounds like you had a pretty tough Mom and Dad . Hang in there John and never quit dreaming .

This was taken a couple of days ago of my daughter, grandson and me on Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas.

img_320766_0_5a9abcb746886183b44c266bc69780c1.jpg

Arch
WHEW!!! I'm glad you said that is your daughter as I was thinking that I've really missed out on some of the niceties of life!:blush:

Back
Top Bottom