View Single Post
Old 03-28-2015, 02:45 AM   #23
Manly Q.
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi All. D Bs on radios.

I am new to the forum and although I spent a lot of time working on and around boats in south east Queensland while trying to grow up please consider me as a novice compared to yourself.

An area I do have experience with is two way radios. So please allow me the honor of sharing what I know.

The D B of an ariel is designed to perform a specific role in a set situation.

A low numbered D B ariel is designed to work over a fatter but shorter range.

That is it will send and recieve a signal a short distance forward and back but has a wider footprint than a larger numbered D B ariel. Think an egg shape pointed port and starboard on your boat. This is a very usuable set up for vehicles working in hilly terrain.

A high numbered D B ariel will send and recieve a long way ahead and astern but relativly a short distance either side of your vessal or vehicle. This is particularly useful and was designed for use in flat desert country or if on a boat a longer range ahead and astern.

As already mentioned raising the hight of the ariel above sea level improves the performance of the radio but will not change the way the ariel has been designed to operate within the D B range it is.

Thank You for allowing me to join T. F. I truly enjoy reading your posts and learning all that I did not learn while previously messing around in boats.

I give you my solemn oath that I will not mention " A " word.

Regards.

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote