Convert trawler to motorsailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooooo. I like that modern version of the Fisher 37. Do they still make them?

Yes, I believe they are,,,made-to-order though, in Aluminum.

Also, check out the brand new Fisher 37, made in SRI LANKA.

Good luck sleeping tonight! :devil:

I just bought a boat so I'm safe. But I can dream... ?

Isn't the boat in the foreground a Fisher 37 or one a bit shorter?

Last edited:
As much as I love the Fisher, I'd hate the wood trim and rub guards.

As much as I love the Fisher, I'd hate the wood trim and rub guards.

As in too much wood to take care of, or you hate the look? I think it looks cool, but also looks like a PITA to take care of.

As in too much wood to take care of, or you hate the look? I think it looks cool, but also looks like a PITA to take care of.

Oh yeah.....I love the look. Yeah, if I had a crew to take care of my woodwork I'd have plenty of it!

Love Exterior Brightwork's Looks - :socool:

Did a Ton of It in Early Years - :facepalm:

Our Boat Has NO Brightwork - :D :dance: :thumb:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 88
It would be a tough choice - a Fisher 37 or a Hans Christian PH 39?

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 93
Yeah...that would be a tough choice, but I love to be loosing sleep about either possibility!

Hans Christian.. no contest.
It's a sailboat with a raised pilothouse

HOLLYWOOD

The HC39 is awesome :thumb:,

thanks for posting the eye candy :smitten:

and yet another option: a Nimble Wanderer Motorsailer, 32'

Attachments

• wanderer-under-sail.jpg
    wanderer-under-sail.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hans Christian for me .We had one of the 39 hc come through our little dinky town about four years ago on a trailer . They were parked overnight just around the corner from our house . A picture of it is on the JDaniels yacht transport websight . The interior woodwork on Hans Christian is really something . The wood selection is second to none . We looked at a run down 33 and almost bought it a few years back . One look at that interior and I thought I would give up on the little woodworking that I do . I still think about that boat .

A couple of years ago I bit the bullet and put the rig on my boat and have absolutely no regrets.
I get power boost or save fuel, stabilises the boat really well ( I have paravanes as well)
keeps me occupied on long distance cruises and also a good get home or some where from remote areas.
All 3 sails are on furlers and the rig is pretty simple to operate.

Attachments

• Tida 3.JPG
    Tida 3.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 116
  • P1000094.JPG
    P1000094.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_6165.JPG
    DSC_6165.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 123
Years ago we looked at a then-new motorsailer designed by Mark Ellis, the NE37 I think it was called. The boat spoke to us -- and we liked the optional fireplace :) -- but it was too new to afford on our budget at the time.

Fast forward, and the stays and shrouds would likely drive me crazy; shuffling over or around stuff on deck gets old real fast.

A self-supporting rig like on Maltese Falcon looks interesting, might provide some stability if nothing else... but I don't know that I'd trade that for the hot tub.

:)

-Chris

A couple of years ago I bit the bullet and put the rig on my boat and have absolutely no regrets.

I get power boost or save fuel, stabilises the boat really well ( I have paravanes as well)

keeps me occupied on long distance cruises and also a good get home or some where from remote areas.

All 3 sails are on furlers and the rig is pretty simple to operate.

Wow. That looks really good.

Did you do that work yourself?

Years ago we looked at a then-new motorsailer designed by Mark Ellis, the NE37 I think it was called. The boat spoke to us -- and we liked the optional fireplace :) -- but it was too new to afford on our budget at the time.

Fast forward, and the stays and shrouds would likely drive me crazy; shuffling over or around stuff on deck gets old real fast.

A self-supporting rig like on Maltese Falcon looks interesting, might provide some stability if nothing else... but I don't know that I'd trade that for the hot tub.

:)

-Chris

Chris - Maltese Falcon = Computerized rigging that could currently cost up to million$$... even on a relatively small boat, say a 70'er. But, if it were to be accomplished... kick back and break out the popsicles, cause tain't much effort required as the boat self manages all conditions and course requests! :thumb:

Might be fun to cross the oceans with no personal effort... just a skinnyer wallet. I would not mind trying it at all. :D

Cardude,
No sorry not all my own work.
Had a rigger do the masts and a sail maker make the sails.
The set up is a reasonably popular configuration down here in Aus.
Tradional type cruising boat ,either purpose built like Tidahapah or a converted prawn trawler and most times ketch rigged.
The lower spreaders on the mizzen mast are set down very close to the cabin top so the stays then drop vertically down outside the cap rails and no stays cross any walk ways.
Cheers
Benn

Reviewing this old thread from almost two years ago, and I'm still thinking about adding a sail rig to my boat. Probably something like this.

IMG_1487707346.332096.jpg

Talked to Mack Sails on the east coast of FL and they gave me a quote. They have been doing a bunch of Island Packet chain plate refits on older IP boats that had corrosion problems with the glassed in plates, so they are very familiar with IP boats and seem to have a good reputation. They are recommending exterior chain plates for mine to get rid of that unseen corrosion problem.

This proposed sail rig will be for steadying purposes, to add a bit of speed while motoring, use the boom as a crane, get home in case of engine failure, and to have something to piddle with on longer runs. The sail area of 377 ft2 is 53% of the factory area, so hopefully that will be enough to do what I want to do.

Any guesses on the boost this size sail area will give me?

See post #22.

Mark what is the sail area on yours with both sails up?

Mark what is the sail area on yours with both sails up?

Not sure. Your guesstimate would be as good as mine. Recommend you email Bill Kimley at Searhorse Marine (China), address available at their website, and ask what the sail area is for the sail option on the 14-ton Coot model.

Do you still have the drawing with the sail rig and the stabilizers? I thought that was the ticket .

PM, yes but the drawing doesn't show the sail plan and the mast i shortened there.

IMG_1487716847.766134.jpg

The problem with this rig was I couldn't find anyone here to build it, and I couldn't figure out a strong enough spot on the boat to mount the part on the PH. Also, the more I thought about it I wanted a little more sailing performance than I thought this would provide. Another issue is I am not confident enough to oversee the building of the paravane rig.

The Mack Sails setup would be turn key--they are allegedly knowledgeable riggers and specifically knowledgeable about Island Packets.

Cardude: If you're going to add a shorter mast and smaller sails, why not go all the way and install as close as you can to the full height mast and full sails? You'll have a larger group of potential buyers when you sell, a more efficient motor sailor and who knows, you might like sailing? :)

Back
Top Bottom