Weaver davits, engine lever, standoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Has anyone here installed this stuff? Trying to figure if it's a DIY project, and if so, what are the tricks?

I have a swim platform that's hollow so not sure how to bolt it up. Also, if my slip is a little rolly will that make it extra difficult?

I have zero fiberglass experience.

I tend to drink beer while I work. ?

Has anyone here installed this stuff? Trying to figure if it's a DIY project, and if so, what are the tricks?

I have a swim platform that's hollow so not sure how to bolt it up. Also, if my slip is a little rolly will that make it extra difficult?

I have zero fiberglass experience.

I tend to drink beer while I work. ?

Beer helps quite a bit, actually. Yes I have installed the whole system. Dude what do you mean by hollow?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427399752.221917.jpg

It looks like this. Integrated into the hull but not solid. Hollow sounding.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427399499.086421.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427399499.086421.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 128
That is a tough one. You will need a vertical support rod for the engine. Without cutting an access port, I don't know how it could be done.

Well damn. That's definitely not a Cardude DIY project then.

I bought these Weaver davits and assorted other parts off Craigslist but that might have been a mistake.

I saw these on the Weaver website. Like a toggle bolt. Think that would be strong enough?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427402242.048042.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1427402268.032260.jpg

Dude, I wouldn't trust them. There can be a lot of force put on the standoffs and vertical support when seas get rough. I had to cut an access to get behind my transom to put in backing plats for my hoist supports. Not a big deal.

You can buy a stock round water tight port for access. Just cut a round hole and install the port using some sealer.

I suggest you call Jason at Weaver. He will probably have some good advice. Also call you boat manufacturer. They will probably have some ideas for you.

Last edited:
I have the weaver davits and leaver system. The davits came with the boat but I added the leaver system which consisted of adding a securing ring to the swim platform to support a rod that in-turn supports the motor attached to the leaver system. You will have to add the securing device weaver sells to your dinghy transome that supports the dinghy to the weaver davits due to the extra motor weight. It sounds complicated but is not, just look at the pics on the weaver website and call them if you need help.

Looking at my avitar you can see I did not add the additional support for the front of the dinghy, it's why it's not level. It however is fairly secure.

I suggest having a inflatable dealer add the standoff pads.

It's probably more than a 6 pack job, but doable.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the help everyone.

We use Weaver Snap Davits and Standoffs to hold our Livingston on our swimstep. We did the installation, both on the boat and the dinghy, ourselves. Very easy process but you do have to think through how you want the dinghy positioned.

In our case, we did not want the weight of the dinghy pulling on the Standoff mounting hardware but pushing on it. So we bought Standoffs to the length that would hold the dinghy with a forward slant. This also allows any water that might spash up into the dinghy to immediately run back out.

In our experience it's a great system and dirt simple to install. We did not opt for the Weaver Lever for the motor as I don't like its design. Instead we put a swivel mount for the motor on the transom of the dinghy itself.

Our PNW boat is the outside boat in this raftup and you can see the inward-leaning angle of the Livingston.

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 167
I don't know what's in that swim platform but if you're going to be at Snead Island Boatworks anyway, they probably do. I'd bet they could put in a couple of heavy duty screw-lid style, watertight access ports that would make the job a lot easier. Toggles near the water line don't seem appropriate, but I wouldn't want to be the test project for such an application anyway.

Last edited:
I think Don is right, you're going to need to install access hatches or deck plates. Check with the builder to find out what's inside before you start drilling holes. I don't think I'd trust any of the blind fasteners out there to do this job.

I once got a look at Don's set up. Looked very nice. He was hiding in the cabin pretending he wasn't there so he wouldn't have to give me a beer!

I'm voting for Sneed Island at this point. They have the skills.

I'll stick to less invasive DIY projects at this point, like adding a giant mast and sail rig!!

?

I'm voting for Sneed Island at this point. They have the skills.

I'll stick to less invasive DIY projects at this point, like adding a giant mast and sail rig!!

��

Cardude -As with anything, a large boat is a big mystery off the start, but it doesn't take long to get a good understanding of how your boat is put together. (especially if you are a tinkerer :))
With something structural like this, it's worth getting an expert involved, and if possible, watching how he does it and asking a thousand questions.

Within a year two, you might be ready to install those big sticks yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom