Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
bligh
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I've gone through this twice now with Norcold's and the constant running has always been the beginning of the end for the fridge compressor. I purchased a new Norcold DE0061 last summer, this is #3, and was pleased to see they've switch from the old coffee can compressor to the Danfoss style. It seems to be quieter and much quicker to reach temperature.

To the point - I timed the compressor on/off cycling at different thermostat settings, with the fridge at operating temp in both compartments on a 70F'ish day. At the mid point setting "3" it freezes ice and cools sufficiently and the compressor ran 5 minutes on and 5 minutes off. If you advance the thermostat to "5", if runs close to 6 minutes, with 5 minutes between cycles. So not much difference. (If you want to keep ice cream, it needs to be in the "4" to "5" setting range.)

I considered other makes, but mine is built in and no one else builds a comparable size that wouldn't require a complete cabinet overhaul.
I am not opposed to replacing it. I have a DE-0061 as well. It is my understanding that the previous refrigerator was not a norcold, so I am hoping something else must fit in that space...
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote