Windshield wiper and washer replacement recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I am looking to update the windshield wiper set up on my 34 Californian LRC. I came across this site for AM Equipment on line (Windshield Wiper Blades and Systems | DC Electric Motors | Wiper Motor Assembly | AM Equipment).

Their offerings look pretty interesting to me and seem fairly priced but I am interested in what systems others use and how happy they are with them. I am looking for larger wipers than my current 14 inch ones, wipers that park and intermittent delay. Would also like a wash system to clear the salt occasionally. I have been in rough seas a few times where better visibility would have made the trip a lot easier (we have a lot of pots and gear in my area of the Northeast).

A couple of years ago we had a similar discussion.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s31/wiper-motor-questions-8561.html

jeffnick recommended Surplus Center. I was able to find a new-in-the-box, 2-speed, self-parking Marinco motor for $30 when other places wanted $80 or more for the same unit. Today, they mostly have 24v units, but they change stock regularly.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=wiper+motor

I recently replaced my 16 inch blade with a 26 inch AFI blade. My motor is mounted below the windshield and is adjusted to a 110* swing. It allows me to see through the wiper area without standing up. It's made a huge difference to me.

We don't have a w/s washdown system, but there are a few times I wish I had.

Our boat came from the factory with three wipers and a washer system from AM Equipment. We've been happy with it. AM has been great to deal with when we have needed replacement parts (primarily new arms). We do not have an intermitent setting. It would be nice, but it hasn't been too much of a problem to just turn them on and off as needed.

After rebuilding my wiper system, all I can say is I feel for you. It was an easy job , but extremely time consuming job due to access issues and waiting for parts. One that I dont care to repeat anytime soon. The AM equipment is decent, but man there has to be an easier way.

I use the American Bosch WWF with the 3" shaft length on my three front windows.
One is now about 25 yr and the other about 15 yr.
They have been good units. 2 speed and park. The park function has failed on two although I think it is simply an adjustment i have yet to get to. I only use the high speed. Won't know untill I try.

Attached is a PDF file of the Bosch units starting on page 30. Check at your local auto parts or truck parts supply for availability and prices.

http://ecommerce.cadel.ca/img/media/wexco_2012.pdf

They also offer heavier units if need be.

I have seen, but not used, intermittent controls that can be added.
Same for washer systems. They , at least that I have seen, are a separate add on accessory.
Both are available but not that i am aware as a built in.

Personally I would question a built in. Keep the accessories as separate functions so if some thing gives trouble it can more easily be serviced and not goof up the main function, wiping the windows.

Hi, I have used this German site for parts in the past and found their service very good. www.SVB24.de They sell add on units to convert systems to 2 speed, intermittent self parking unit also synchronise multiple wiper motors. They also sell full/part fresh water screen washer kits but you can probably get those from a scrapyard/truck dealer, I personally prefer the washer jets clipped to the wiper blades as they're especially good in high wind/blown spray conditions. I know you guys are in the US so you may find a unit there.
I hope this is helpful.

RAINX and never use the wipers again!

a much better option.

Attachments

• 25.gif
    25.gif
    77.5 KB · Views: 109
My screenwash setup taps into the boat's freshwater system at a convenient spot in the engineroom. A 12-volt solenoid valve (eBay around $15) and a push-button momentary switch at the lower helm makes it go. Thin rubber hoses on each wiper arm put lots of water on the screen.

Attachments

• Screenwash valve.jpg
    Screenwash valve.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 102
Too simple!

Shoalwater, never thought to use the domestic water supply. Duh!:banghead:

My boat came with an Imtra wiper system plumbed into my freshwater system. If you live where it gets cold, don't forget to winterize that freshwater washdown. RainX is great stuff too. Helps prevent your windows from spotting as much as it helps to see.

My windshield washers use the boat's fresh water supply. Wouldn't want to contaminate it with antifreeze. Glad I'm in a low-possibility-of-hard-freeze climate1

Back
Top Bottom