Transom Fender question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Hello,

We are gearing up to tow our 15' Klamath this year and wonder if anyone has experience using these transom saver fenders. We would like to tie up for boarding on our swim step and thought these might just be the ticket.

https://fisheriessupply.scene7.com/is/image/FisheriesSupply/92272_TAY_56090-2_PPM?$Zzoom$&wid=750&hei=750

Taylor Made Group 56090 | Fisheries Supply

Looking to buy a pair of them in case someone has some they would like to part with. Would prefer to buy from a TF member needing to clear out some stuff before buying new if that could work out.

I have one and have used it a couple of times when backed into a slip. I don't do it often so it was brought home recently during a boat cleanup. Just not ready to part with it, yet.

I thought it was crazy to charge so much ($100+) for a simple fender. I ended up finding a new one for around $75. Still seemed high to me.

It slips over the end of the swimstep and is held on with lines, so it eats up some real estate for your footing on the step and can provide a tripping hazard if you're not careful. I think I'd look at something like these foam rectangular fenders that could be secured to the aft edge of the swimstep without lines or the fender over the top of the step.

Durable High Elastic Eva Foam Boat Fenders Hh-f002 - Buy Boat Fenders,Boat Fender,Fender Product on Alibaba.com

I have a pair of these that I use occasionally.

Agree with FlyWright points.
I screwed in a couple of SS eyelets to the rub rail to route the lines through to reduce the trip hazard - holds the line tight to the deck. But, still eats up some swim deck walking area.

Another one of those gizmos that looks far more useful than in reality.
Would I buy them again based on use and experience? Probably not.
Do look real cool though.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the one on Amazon but it did not appear to have the lip that goes under the swim step, the price was most definitely better but I think I will go with the Fisheries Supply version unless I find it cheaper elsewhere.

I will post how it went after we use it a lot.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the one on Amazon but it did not appear to have the lip that goes under the swim step, the price was most definitely better but I think I will go with the Fisheries Supply version unless I find it cheaper elsewhere.

I will post how it went after we use it a lot.

They both are Taylor Made and have the same Mfg#56090. Hate to see you spend unnecessary boat bucks! It not, you can always return for free.

Windmill, I noticed that too and sent in a question to make sure before I order. Cannot beat the price, that's for sure.

Windmill, I noticed that too and sent in a question to make sure before I order. Cannot beat the price, that's for sure.

I do most of my buying from Amazon. If you don't like what you get, you can send it back. UPS will come to your house and pick it up, no charge. I have done it many times. I have stated several times on here, because it is boat related and from a boat supply store, the price automatically is inflated. After Amazon, I go to Hodges Marine for all electronics, lowest prices in the US, and then Defender. All have great customer service, which is most important along with price. Good Luck!

I have one and have cleats on each side of the swim platform to tie it off to. I tow a 17' center console with a 50 hp 2 stroke merc.

I do most of my buying from Amazon. If you don't like what you get, you can send it back. UPS will come to your house and pick it up, no charge. I have done it many times. I have stated several times on here, because it is boat related and from a boat supply store, the price automatically is inflated. After Amazon, I go to Hodges Marine for all electronics, lowest prices in the US, and then Defender. All have great customer service, which is most important along with price. Good Luck!

+1 :thumb::thumb: All good sources.

Don't forget our own marine supplier who can be found in the Commercial Market Section of TF. Parks (HopCar) provides competitive pricing, superior service and a friendly exchange in the process. I highly recommend him as a go-to source. (I have no financial interest in HC...just a satisfied customer!)

Windmill,

Thanks for the vote for Amazon. I do buy some simple parts and material from them, but have not had much luck on saving for most boat accessories; will need to look harder at them.

Thanks for the tip on Hodge's. I had not run across them before.
Usually use GoodBoatGear when they have it, or MEP-marineengineparts.com. Defender is good if I am buying $$ or quantity - the shipping cost adds up though.

I take it you are not a big fan of WM....

Al, thanks for the reminder. I forgot to bookmark him. Will give him a look next time I need something.

I have tried the fender on the swim step but the thing always caused more hassle than it was worth, Instead I use a small pair of fenders on the dink.. I always have them aboard for tying alongside crappy docks anyway so just fender the dink vs the swim step.

getting around the swim step with all the lines tied to the transom is a P.I.T.A.

HOLLYWOOD

No need for a tender fender. :)

I find the easiest way to get in and out of the tender is to tie it alongside the boat so that the stern of the tender is in line with the end of the swim platform.

To hold the back of the tender from swinging out, I tie a line from the stern of the tender to the oposite corner of the boat. This line runs under the swim platform so it is not in the way.

I used one for awhile, but it tended to flip up when underway. Eventually lost it on a long ocean cruise due to chafe and and OS problem (operator stupidity). I found it just as easy to rig a big cylinder fender back there for when we were docked or anchored (you can see it hiding behind the swim latter in my avatar). Had fenders on the Whaler too. The issue with a hard dinghy, our Whaler in particular, is when there is a mismatch to the height of the swim platform; the one nice thing we envied about RIBs.

Eventually I installed a rubber rub rail to the swim platform which while it didn't replace using the fender, was a really nice enhancement that was one of those "why didn't I do that two years ago?" things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom