View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
As I approached retirement, I was cruising along at altitude in the Learjet 60 doing 480 knots. I commented to my copilot that we're now cruising at 8 miles per minute and soon I'll be enjoying 8 miles per hour. He asked, "Well, is that boat 60 times more efficient?"

"Good question!!" So I pulled out my calculator and ran the numbers. They came out something like this...

Learjet 60: 200 GPH @ 480 Kts=2.4 NM/Gal

Californian 34 LRC: 3.1 GPH at 7.5 Kts = 2.4 NM/Gal

It was hard to believe that the largest Learjet had the same fuel efficiency as my slow trawler! I explained that I also get to enjoy my boat 24 hrs a day, even if the engines are not running. In the Learjet, we never enjoyed our time aboard when the engines were not running!!

So I guess it's all relative, but sometimes the time saved or the weather avoided by a fast run is worth every extra penny spent on the fuel. It's nice to have options, something my current boat does not afford me.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote