Transducer - Charger advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike_nickens1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Godspeed
Vessel Make
36" Marine Trader Sundeck
I'm about to begin the installation of a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 Inverter Charger. My plan is to keep the current charger in place to charge the start batteries and as a back up. Below is a rudimentary diagram.

Here's my battery set up: house 2 8D, start 2 Group 31.

Here's some of my questions:

Am I creating any conflict between the 2 battery chargers?

Should I insert a switch to bypass the transducer if it fails?

If the battery switch is set on both, will the Xantrex be charging both banks?

Should there be any battery isolators in the system?

I would really appreciate any advice on this before I complete the installation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• transducer.png
    transducer.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 99
Quick glance, looks like if you energize the existing charger (genset off), you'd be charging the start bank by drawing DC from the house bank, inverting it to AC, then converting it back to DC en route the start bank. If you'd really need to do that to start an engine, jumper cables or a parallel switch might work easier (and slightly more efficiently)?

-Chris

First where you say transducer, I think you mean to say inverter.

Xantrex does a poor job of explaining how to split your AC panel so that the inverter doesn't power stuff that it shouldn't like the existing charger, the hot water heater, air conditioning, etc. FWIW they used to clearly explain this before Xantrex bought Freedom but alas no more. You might go to other inverter/charger manufacturers and download their installation manual and see if they explain it better.

Basically you need to cut the buss bar in your AC panel so that one group (the stuff indicated above) is powered by shore power only and another group is powered by shorepower or inverter output via the inverter's transfer switch. If you don't understand this, get a marine electrician to install it for you. It takes quite a bit of rewiring of your A/C panel to do this.

I would let the Prosine charge the house and the existing charger charge the starting battery. You could also install a simple battery combiner to let the engine's alternator charge both while isolating the start so it doesn't run down.

This is a big, complex installation and your questions indicate that you need more help than can be provided over the internet.

David

Sorry everyone - I meant Inverter, not Transducer! Long night followed by an early wake up!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom