If you were to build a brand new N52

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
What would be somethings you would require, as in custom options. I'm just curious to see what ya'll will come up with.

Surprising question for you to ask - isn't the 52 basically a 47 with 5' more aft deck? That extra deck space is brilliant though.....

Not sure if you saw this reflection by James regarding Dirona's knockdown.
69.1 degrees | MV Dirona

He says he is not sure how to change the ER vents. But in a new build it would be high on the list after reading his report. Perhaps go to a dry stack and use the same route for air intake from a funnel? Downside is the amount of space such a system would remove from living areas.

Perhaps something could be engineered to restrict water ingress with high roll? A definite add-on to any standard fitout would be a big-ass emergency pump such as James had on board.

A stripper pole that was in the Saloon as well as the Boat Deck, oh, and a Disco ball. Cuz, if I told the Admiral I was ordering a brand new 52 Nordy, pretty sure I'd have to turn it into a floating Strip club to make the payments and Alimony.

Hey you asked!

Here's a start.

Custom tow line on a hidden winch leading out the transom for the boat ID be towing.

Proper wire chases that would make running an new wiring a simple straight forward job.

Maximum and clever use of space through out the vessel.

Interior lights where you really need them. As in in the proper locations for reading.

Correct ducting for return and supply air for the A/C system.

A real bilge pump system.

Proper trays/pans under the engines.

Electrical panels that are properly light for use at night and are not mounted where you have to be on your hands and knees to read them.

Large drain holes in the anchor locker that don't get clogged up early.

Proper ventilation in the galley so the boat doesn't smell like old bacon grease all day.

Proper chart storage.

Everything installed for ease of access and proper maintenance.

Proper lighting and ventilation in the engine room.

Exterior hatches with proper drains and seals to keep water out.

Properly size cleat so you can tie more than one line on per cleat.

Vibration isolation mounts on engines and gensets along with shaft to tranny isolation couplings.

Clear panels with interior lighting on the Genset hush covers.

Hull mounted cameras so you could see your props and rudders.

All filters mounted in such a way that you can drain/change them without making a mess.

Equipment mounted up off the floor as much as possible for ease of service without killing your knees or back.

Proper bilge sumps.

Proper fuel tanks dumps and clean outs.

120v outlets in logical locations as well as having enough of them.

LED lighting through out.

Valance lighting.

Power window blinds.

Proper ventilation in cabinets where any fridge/freezer/ice makers may be located.

Proper deck drainage with large drains and scuppers.

Surprising question for you to ask - isn't the 52 basically a 47 with 5' more aft deck? That extra deck space is brilliant though.....

Not sure if you saw this reflection by James regarding Dirona's knockdown.
69.1 degrees | MV Dirona

He says he is not sure how to change the ER vents. But in a new build it would be high on the list after reading his report. Perhaps go to a dry stack and use the same route for air intake from a funnel? Downside is the amount of space such a system would remove from living areas.

Perhaps something could be engineered to restrict water ingress with high roll? A definite add-on to any standard fitout would be a big-ass emergency pump such as James had on board.

The 52 looks like the perfect boat for us, not too big but just perfect for us and our needs. The extra space in the Lazz, on the boat deck and in the pilot house is very nice. That's where the boat needed space and they did a good job with that when they extended the 47. Of course a 64 or 68 would be nice but damn, it fells like a mega yacht. Couldn't imagine washing it. But if a new 52 is about the same price as a late model used 64 it may be the course of action. Also, gotta wait that two years for a new boat, it's all a compromise in the end.

Yep I saw it. Not sure where I'd move them too, maybe the ceiling of the over hang on the aft deck. Wouldn't do it from the stack because like you said it would take to much living space. And yes I would definitely spec a full ABT hydraulic system.

Last edited:
Here's a start.

Custom tow line on a hidden winch leading out the transom for the boat ID be towing.

Proper wire chases that would make running an new wiring a simple straight forward job.

Maximum and clever use of space through out the vessel.

Interior lights where you really need them. As in in the proper locations for reading.

Correct ducting for return and supply air for the A/C system.

A real bilge pump system.

Proper trays/pans under the engines.

Electrical panels that are properly light for use at night and are not mounted where you have to be on your hands and knees to read them.

Large drain holes in the anchor locker that don't get clogged up early.

Proper ventilation in the galley so the boat doesn't smell like old bacon grease all day.

Proper chart storage.

Everything installed for ease of access and proper maintenance.

Proper lighting and ventilation in the engine room.

Exterior hatches with proper drains and seals to keep water out.

Properly size cleat so you can tie more than one line on per cleat.

Vibration isolation mounts on engines and gensets along with shaft to tranny isolation couplings.

Clear panels with interior lighting on the Genset hush covers.

All filters mounted in such a way that you can drain/change them without making a mess.

Equipment mounted up off the floor as much as possible for ease of service without killing your knees or back.

Proper bilge sumps.

Proper fuel tanks dumps and clean outs.

120v outlets in logical locations as well as having enough of them.

LED lighting through out.

Valance lighting.

Power window blinds.

Proper ventilation in cabinets where any fridge/freezer/ice makers may be located.

Proper deck drainage with large drains and scuppers.

Thanks for the suggestions!

A stripper pole that was in the Saloon as well as the Boat Deck, oh, and a Disco ball. Cuz, if I told the Admiral I was ordering a brand new 52 Nordy, pretty sure I'd have to turn it into a floating Strip club to make the payments and Alimony.

Hey you asked!

:rofl::rofl:

I'd add a proper hawspipe and put the anchor(s) down at the waterline. Something like Anja has here:

Anja-Hawspipe.jpg

The windlass is on deck:
Anja-HawspipeDeck.jpg

I like his set-up and he uses less scope too.

I'd add a proper hawspipe and put the anchor(s) down at the waterline. Something like Anja has here:

Anja-Hawspipe.jpg

The windlass is on deck:

Anja-HawspipeDeck.jpg

I like his set-up and he uses less scope too.

Actually wouldn't have to go through all that, as my current snubber setup does exactly that. Runs form the bow roller to the tow eye which is at the water line.

What would be somethings you would require, as in custom options. I'm just curious to see what ya'll will come up with.

I spent a lot of time considering the same (almost) question before I had my current boat built. I had something like 140 "change orders" (a misnomer, since they were spec'd in the original contract), and consequently very few change orders during construction, commissioning, or after delivery.

Most of what capt.Bill says makes sense to me

Here's a start.

I have an underwater aft-facing camera on the transom. In less than about 24 hours, it gets enough growth that the image is too distorted to be usable.
Fortunately, I can clean the lens without getting wet, but I can't see how that would be possible if the camera were positioned to face the props and shafts.

Many of my CO's are intended to make my boat more useful for long-range fishing, but beyond that my favorites are:
Networked marine electronics and a/v system that can be viewed and used from the 6 helm stations, as well as any of the TV screens. On offshore passages, I typically keep radar and chartplotter displayed on my msr screen.
The audio is set up with 6 or 8 zones, each of which can select from any available source, or accept a local input (for ipod or whatever).

We installed reclining chairs on the foredeck -- a really nice place to be underway (in nice weather) or while at anchor.

Gas (propane) Viking range, and a "BeniHana" table on the mezz deck (which can be relocated to the flybridge). It is really nice to be able to eat well underway. (If I were concerned about safety, I would still go gas, just with CNG, but with copper lines, and a pressure check/sniffing system, it seems safe to me).

Cockpit windlass.

clothes dryer in msr (separate from main washer/dryer).

If the boat is to be optimized for fishing, there is a long list of other enhancements I would recommend.

Have fun!

I'd install as many solar panels as possible, even if it meant installing and or redesigning a hardtop for the flybridge, along with a wind turbine (SilentWind). I'd get rid of all of the energy hogging appliances, like the Sub-Zero's, and replace with more energy efficient options. I'd have the largest battery bank possible. I'd equip a boat that was as "green" as possible and not because I'm a tree hugger but because I prefer to not have to depend so much on the generator to power my boat while on the hook. I'd install a watermaker that uses the least amount of amps per gallon of water produced (Spectra Catalina MK ll).

In conclusion... I'd do anything and everything possible to reduce the energy consumption of a, traditionally, energy hogging Nordhavn.

Thought of a couple more things.

I'd have bypass oil filters on at least the gensets. I'd also add oil exchange systems to the engines which constantly exchange clean oil for dirty while sending the dirty oil back to the fuel tanks to be burnt.

I'd also have Murphy gauges on all the engines so fluid levels can be properly monitored underway without shutting down the engines.

Thought of a couple more things.

I'd have bypass oil filters on at least the gensets. I'd also add oil exchange systems to the engines which constantly exchange clean oil for dirty while sending the dirty oil back to the fuel tanks to be burnt.

I'd also have Murphy gauges on all the engines so fluid levels can be properly monitored underway without shutting down the engines.

Oh gosh, not the oil in fuel, not this thread. Pleaseeeeee!!:)

My priority would be to spray the interior of the boat with 1'' thick expanded polyurethane to the waterline to insulate the boat from temperature and full engine room noise insulation ., after that you can add whatever gizmo's float your boat.

Hmm, someone mentioned a dry sump oil system and putting used engine oil in the fuel.
I experimented with this at Rolls Royce diesels, it can be done, BUT only in small amounts fed to a small day tank whilst engine is running, if not when left, the small oil globules link up again and form a greasy sludge which will block all filters and pumps.
In a nutshell, yes it's doable but only with finite care and quite frankly isn't worth the f factor.
Large commercial ships do it because they burn preheated Heavy B oil and the used engine oil is actually thinner and therefore mixes easily.

Oh gosh, not the oil in fuel, not this thread. Pleaseeeeee!!:)

You asked. :D

It works and I'd do it. Especially if I was going to cruise how and where Nordhaven's are supposedly made to.

And I'll be happy to leave it at that.

I wouldn't move up from a 47 to a 52. There just seems to be too little gained for that. If I was moving up I'd go to at least the 60 or 63 which are both based on the 55.

What I read on Capt Bill's list was largely my one criticism of Nordhavn. Consistency in equipment and placement. For the one who mentioned 140 change orders, we built two new boats with a total of 7 change orders, none major, but we did a tremendous amount of work up front with very detailed specifications and drawings. While my knowledge on Nordhavn's is somewhat limited, it has often seemed to me that there is a disconnect between building and commissioning and even in commissioning there seems to be somewhat an item by item approach more than a comprehensive plan executed. If you're going to follow that approach then in building you need to leave things so everything following at commissioning or later in use is as easy and simple as possible. Bill mentioned wiring chases and that's a good example. The results I've seen have been a lot of work during the first year getting everything just right.

Don't get me wrong. I do think Nordhavn builds a great boat and in evaluating the boat you start with the hull and the basics and they are extremely good in those aspects. But the commissioning a post delivery experience which Nordhavn owners have come to expect and are comfortable with, is one that I struggle with accepting.

I wouldn't move up from a 47 to a 52. There just seems to be too little gained for that. If I was moving up I'd go to at least the 60 or 63 which are both based on the 55.

What I read on Capt Bill's list was largely my one criticism of Nordhavn. Consistency in equipment and placement. For the one who mentioned 140 change orders, we built two new boats with a total of 7 change orders, none major, but we did a tremendous amount of work up front with very detailed specifications and drawings. While my knowledge on Nordhavn's is somewhat limited, it has often seemed to me that there is a disconnect between building and commissioning and even in commissioning there seems to be somewhat an item by item approach more than a comprehensive plan executed. If you're going to follow that approach then in building you need to leave things so everything following at commissioning or later in use is as easy and simple as possible. Bill mentioned wiring chases and that's a good example. The results I've seen have been a lot of work during the first year getting everything just right.

Don't get me wrong. I do think Nordhavn builds a great boat and in evaluating the boat you start with the hull and the basics and they are extremely good in those aspects. But the commissioning a post delivery experience which Nordhavn owners have come to expect and are comfortable with, is one that I struggle with accepting.

I would agree. There are some key advantages to a 60 or 63 over a 47/52. More space, that part is obvious. But the extra cabin up behind the pilot house I think is a real bonus, as is the utility room which gives engine room access without tromping through the master stateroom.

What I don't know is the incremental cost of a 60/63 over a 52, and that certainly matters to anyone buying.

As for variation in equipment layout, etc., your observation is correct. Some buyers put a lot of effort into laying out equipment with space utilization, access, and service in mind. I know I did, and I know a number of other people who have done the same. But others don't care and get whatever the yard decides to build. Sometimes things are accessible, and sometimes they aren't. And when they aren't, sometimes it needs to be corrected. For example, I have made two modifications to one cabinet, behind which lives one of my stabilizers. Prior to modification, the large, two shelf cabinet had to be completely emptied and 4 panels unscrewed and removed to access the stabilizer. After some minor modifications, only one shelf needs to be emptied and two panels removed for full access, and much can be accessed by removing only one panel. The other thing you are seeing is that with only a handful of exceptions, 100% of the Nordhavns are built to order, so every one has the initial buyer's finger prints all over it, and it's why no two boats are even close to being the same.

Don't even have a price/standard and options list yet. But to us the 52 is our "Perfect" boat. Well really they're are two, the 64. It offers megayacht space in a 64' hull. Just not sure if we want to commit to all that boat and have to maintain it. Also most of time it's just the three of us.

I like the semi custom part, I want a boat that differentiates mine from Hamilton's or any other 52 owner. If we built a new boat we'd be deeply involved, after all with that kinda of money being spent i couldn't imagine not being involved. I'm not going to tell Nordhavn I want a list of things X,Y,Z put them wherever you want just make it work. Having a 47 gives us a good idea of where we want things for both ease of servicing and practicality. And of course lots of yard visits to make sure they're doing what they're supposed to be doing.

Wire chases, I haven't had a problem on my 47' and I'm always pulling new wires.

I have no problem with commissioning as I want the kinks out of the boat in FTL and not have to start encountering them halfway between California and Hawaii.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom