Advice on toilet selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have 2 vacuflushes that I recently rebuilt the pumps on. The pumps are in the engine room so the noise isn't to bad. Have some left over sound down insulation and was thinking about building a cover for each pump, sort of like a toaster cover. Wonder if that would do much to lower the pump noise.

Ted

A quick side note, I upgraded to the two Marine Elegance units/ fresh water flush at the same time and accidentally tied into the hot water for the front head...... And I LIKE it. Seems to flush better and seems more sanitary. Peggy, I wouldn't think this would cause any problems ??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Steve, don't flush while seated, you might wind up "poached"

I installed a new Raritan Marine Elegance electric freshwater head several months ago. We love it, especially when we have non-boater company aboard - just press a button.

To expedite the situation, the flush noise scared the crap out of them.

I'd rebuild the Raritan Crowns in our boat before buying something new. When I converted them to fresh water flush, the primary noise maker (intake pump) went away and the speed of the macerator/black water pump went way up. So they're arguably as quiet as the new units, have excellent pumping efficiency, and the amperage draw is very low. (I soaked everything in a vinegar bath to clean out any build up in internal passages).

The big question is where is the holding tank?

If it is below the toilet , mostly a straight shot , the best toilet is a China bowml RV toilet.

These require a miniscule amount of water to flush , almost no maint over decades and dont stink from dead stuff in a sea water flush setup.

If gravity is your friend , you cant go wrong!!

Dometic High Profile 310 Series Gravity Discharge Toilets ...

www.campingworld.com › ... › Toilets › RV Toilets

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I installed one on my boat above a 30 gallon holding tank. Haven't had any problems. Gravity never fails, uses about a pint of fresh water per use. Love it. Check out our blog for photos of the install.

I have the nature's head and a Sea Era head. The nature's head always works!

I have the nature's head and a Sea Era head. The nature's head always works!

It's been about a year now since you've installed that nature's head, please give us a review of how it has worked out for you. I'm contemplating installing one in Bliss right now.

The nature's head always works!

If you can keep male guests from using it with out sitting down first , and don't mind sneaking up at midnight to dump the urine container overboard.

We use one in a cottage and a 2 inch to 1/2 inch bronze reducing coupling allows the urine to access the old failed septic line , with no hassles.

They are great , but not great for public use.

We have the Jabsco quiet flush although it doesn't seem so quiet . This is my first electric head so maybe I don't know how quiet it's supposed to be . I need to listen to someone else's .

We have the Jabsco quiet flush although it doesn't seem so quiet . This is my first electric head so maybe I don't know how quiet it's supposed to be . I need to listen to someone else's .

Might depend on age... Ours started getting louder at approx. the 9 year mark, and then we also started seeing a slight leak around the shaft seal.

After trying a partial rebuild (inexpensive parts, in their "service kit") -- no improvement in noise and it still leaked a bit. I talked to the Jabsco folks after that, and they allowed as how I had probably gotten my money's worth. Over time, wear and tear on the chopper plate (part #14), macerator (#16), macerator housing (#15), and the motor shaft itself increases tolerances, adds to noise, etc.

(And the still-leaking part was probably because I hadn't replaced the "slinger" -- but that would have been more work, and wasn't included in the service kit for some reason... so I hadn't known I might need it.)

Anyway, bottom line was that -- rather than ordering "slingers" and then tearing down/rebuilding again and then still probably having excessive noise to enjoy...

$170 later I had replaced the whole pump/motor assembly and that was a LOT easier than fooling with the crappola (service kit) and it was a LOT quieter (again) afterwards.

-Chris

Last edited:
If you like the Sound of Silence , come on over and use the Skipper II , a silent Stroke or two , of a big bronze handle.

No need to put your face on the toilet seat as with the small pull handle pumpers

KISS actually works!

It works pretty well. We still use the type I up forward but the biggest win for us is no more smell from under our berth and no more pump out stations. You do have to mind the pee.

It's been about a year now since you've installed that nature's head, please give us a review of how it has worked out for you. I'm contemplating installing one in Bliss right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the last 20 years on Tidahapah I have had a series of toilets and systems .
By far the best was a standard household toilet flushing straight over the side.
Regulation soon put a stop to that.
I have had various cheap maserating toilets and all are noisy , and don't last long.
Eventually I spent the dollars and installed 2 Tecma silence plus units.
My Boss lady still thanks me every time she uses one of them these days, they are quiet, efficient, they discharge discretely under water and have never blocked up.
Well worth the time and money.
Cheers
Benn

I have to say that when I first bought our boat with vaccuflush units I wanted to change them out wiith Raritan heads. I like Raritan, everything about the company and the folks that work there.

Since then I have learned to respect my Vaccuflush heads.

I like the fact that I can rebuild the head itself from the top down. I like the fact that the head uses a hopusehold style drain system where the other heads I've used have a huge hose thats always a PITA to remove.

I even like the vaccume units once I learned about them. Simple reliable diaphram pump creating a vaccume.

Yes Raritan still holds a special place for me. I have a hold n treat, and just installed a new electro-scan with salt feed tank. That said, I'll be keeping my vaccuflush heads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom