View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 01:10 AM   #22
CPseudonym
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
This is one of those difficult questions with no real answer. The boat you choose and about a thousand other variables need to go into the equation.

Currently you have no berth fees, bottom diving fees, dock electric meter fees, parts rotting in the saltwater, unprotected gelcoat getting baked in the sun, dirt cacking on your boat, seagull crap mess, canvas deteriorating, etc... You can also wash, wax, detail, load your provisions/clothes, charge batteries, change lubricants, make upgrades and do anything else you wish by stepping into your driveway or wherever you store it nearby.

Now you wish to buy a boat, store it 6 hours away and not do any maintenance and repairs(tinker with it) while the family is aboard. Sounds like you either hire it all out($$$$) or make an extra 12 hour round trip the weekend before to me. Forgot the 5/8" 6 point socket and 6" extension you need to tighten the motor mounts? Either buy new ones at Home Depot 17 miles from the boat or return to Arizona to get them off the drier where you left them. (Don't laugh but I've done that and live about an hour from the boat.) Hiring it all out is not that easy either, not every shop is reliable.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder with loved ones but not with a boat that never stops trying to revert back to the ecosystem. At the risk of piling on I'd recommend chartering until you are ready to go.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote