Replacement gauges for Island Gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monk36

Vessel Name
Dot Calm
I would like to replace old gauges on my fly bridge including RPMS, Volts, and oil pressure.
I have a Ford Lehman 120 horse single screw engine and am not sure where I can find new gauges that will work with my engine.

I am not the most mechanical person on this forum and am seeking advice on what to order. Would a West Marine carry something like this?
What sort of specs do I need when I shop for the replacement cluster?
Thanks in advance-
Rick

Attachments

• guages.jpg
    guages.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 320
If they are VDO....they are discontinued....rarer than hens teeth......

But good news.....Marine Liquidators in Ft Pierce have a bunch on their shelves...was just the 2 weeks ago.

Other good news, when I needed one...I knew I was going to replace the flybridge set sooner or later so I went ahead and just bought the new style round ones with the flat face...the old square bezel fits right on it and at a glance, it is hard to see the difference till I buy the others.

I was just at Marine Liquidators in Ft. Pierce yesterday. SMALL WORLD:) They told me they didn't know if any of their gauges would work with my engine. That's why I am asking for help. They were not very helpful :(

I was just at Marine Liquidators in Ft. Pierce yesterday. SMALL WORLD:) They told me they didn't know if any of their gauges would work with my engine. That's why I am asking for help. They were not very helpful :(
Look through the bins for the ones you need and match the brand...they look just like my 1988 vintage VDOs.

I gave my temp gauge to a friend that was selling his 1990s vintage Viking Motor yacht.....buyers were being idiots so I gave him a working gauge....didn't want him to loose a $300,000 sale over an antique gauge.

Then again I didn't know how hard it would be to find a replacement! :eek:

With the motley collection of junk they carry, they know nothing about nothing. You pretty much need to know what you want and what will work without their help.

With the motley collection of junk they carry, they know nothing about nothing. You pretty much need to know what you want and what will work without their help.

True...but we had friends down from Jersey for a weekend, he found 3 access hatches that fit his old boat and bought them, had the shipped. He had been looking for 3 years for replacements that fit.

What ML specializes in is having bygone manufacturer OEM stuff and things no one else would have on the shelf where you can touch it and use it for a project it was never meant for....at least the DIY crowd.

What ML specializes in is having bygone manufacturer OEM stuff and things no one else would have on the shelf where you can touch it and use it for a project it was never meant for....at least the DIY crowd.

No argument there! My issue is they don't know what they got.

Not having any gauges at all on my upper helm other than a tach, I went with an analog to the NMEA 2000 approach using a Noland Engineering RS11. I already had a NMEA 2000 display and network at the upper helm so it was relatively simple to install the RS11 at the lower helm where it tapped off the analog gauge inputs from the wiring harness. Probably not as cheap as used gauges, but not have a wiring harness in place or a place with bins of old gauges to wade through, it seemed like the best approach.

Tom

I would like to replace old gauges on my fly bridge including RPMS, Volts, and oil pressure.
I have a Ford Lehman 120 horse single screw engine and am not sure where I can find new gauges that will work with my engine.
Rick
What`s the problem? Not working? If all are not working I`d suspect a systemic problem. Also, the problem can be at the sensor end, not the gauge end, but that`s less likely if none work.
A small tip, turning on the main Nav Light switch at the switch panel turned on my instrument lights, up and down, at anchor they drew more than my LED anchor light. A mate installed a switch fixing it.

Sorry....missed total replacement.....

Any Gauge set that can use the existing senders is fine. The sender has to be rated for 2 sets, which they already are and the good news is VDOs are pretty consistent with other gauges.

on the VDO website, they have the specs for each guage and sender combination, so bring any set that matches will work.

Actually the gauges still work fine...the covers are a bit cracked and weathered.
Cosmetic only for my upper station which is the only station I try to use.

If you're not stuck on retaining the original look and feel, and depending on the holes in your dash...

You might check out digital gauges from CruzPro, which are said to work with all senders. Most of those are 2" cut-outs, I think, but at least one tach model has a larger display face. And/or the digital tachometers from Aetna Engineering could work for a larger hole for a tach (3~-3/8" cut-out).

Installation is pretty much "out with the old, in with the new."

-Chris

Last edited:
I own a close Sistership, If you want an easy fix just swap the lower for the upper,

This will give you a fresh set on the bridge.

JohnP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom