Advice on toilet selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieCraig

Vessel Name
The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Make
Private builder - 50' Trawler
Hello again, I am going to have to replace the head in my boat sooner rather than later and would like to know which toilets you all have and your level of satisfaction with them. I would like to install something that as closely resembles a house toilet as possible size wise. Thoughts on composting vs electric water would be welcome as well. Thankyou again ! :)

We have a Jabsco Quiet Flush electric freshwater head, and we're reasonably pleased with it.

More recently I've seen lots of on-line discussion about and recommendations for the Raritan Marine Elegance system, but I don't know anything more about it.

-Chris

We have Raritan Marine elegance's and have had no problems. They're nice and quiet too.
Also heard good things about tecma's.

Jabsco Quiet Flush here, too. It's a standard height house size porcelain bowl. Much quieter than the old electric grinder in the boat when we bought it. Very pleased with the unit and the cost. Hasn't skipped a beat since we installed it 4 years ago.

No matter what brand you decide on, I strongly recommend you get a man friendly elongated seat!

Just installed a Jabsco quiet flush and it seems to work very well. It is very quiet and seems quite powerful. It's also available with a house sized bowl.

Ken

We have a quiet flush too, the "household size" it's worked fine so far I have no experience with other brands so can't compare.

We installed a Quiet-flush in the previous boat and were quite pleased with it. We replaced the old Raritan in the current boat with a Marine Elegance and prefer it to the Jabsco. Works very well and is quieter than the Jabsco.
Both were set up for fresh-water flushing.

We have Raritan Marine elegance's and have had no problems. They're nice and quiet too.
Also heard good things about tecma's.

Ditto here. I installed two- fresh water flush. Reasonably priced and easy installation. Caught a sale at Defender.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I had 2 Jabsco 370XXX series macerating heads on the boat when I bought it. The seal between the intake side of the pump and the waste side blew out on both heads within a day of each other. I replaced the aft head with a Raritan PHC manual head because the holding tank is 20+ ft away. Raritan can lift 15 ft and the Jabsco only 5 ft. The Jabsco was not clearing the discharge line and it ended up 99 percent clogged. The fwd head discharge is only a couple feet away and is working fine.

If you go with the Raritan Elegance, order the tall bowl if you want a man sized toilet. If you've got plenty of fresh water aboard get the fresh water flush. It's the cheapest of the Elagance series as it has no intake pump and you can imagine all the other advantages that go with a fresh water flush. The sea / fresh option gives you the choice to flush with either fresh or salt water.

We installed a Masterflush to match the one in the aft cabin. Love them! Very conservative water use. I did the install myself and it was very simple.

Ok, well now. With all that 'head' knowledge offered, I think your head will be spinning...best of luck. I note no-one mentioned the electric TMC like we have. It's noisy but effective, and easy to install, and there is a large enough sized version, but it uses quite a bit of water, and raw flush only I think, so probably not the best choice nowadays.

We have vac-u-flush. No problems so far, but anything but quiet. Everyone onboard ........ Well, you know.

I just ordered rebuild kits for my Vacuflush units. They say the wisper quiet motors and pumps ones are very quiet

I have a tecma and love it. No clogs to speak of and we have a family of 6 often with 3-4 others on board. Use normal paper to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I have a tecma and love it. No clogs to speak of and we have a family of 6 often with 3-4 others on board. Use normal paper to boot.

There's a rich guy on the MBm forum and he's gone through 8 Tecma's on his last 4 new boats all in the 80' range, and he's never any problems with them but they are expensive.

Said he'll spec them for his next new boat.........:D (I like to console myself that you can't buy happiness, or a least that's what they tell the poor guys!)

I have a Jabso , cheap like me and does an honest job but the plungers seem to wear out after a couple of years. It's vital to re-grease the plunger with Vaseline twice a year.

I have a Jabso , cheap like me and does an honest job but the plungers seem to wear out after a couple of years. It's vital to re-grease the plunger with Vaseline twice a year.

Manual head?

The electric freshwater Quiet Flush (37045 Series) doesn't have a part called a "plunger."

-Chris

The big question is where is the holding tank?

If it is below the toilet , mostly a straight shot , the best toilet is a China bowml RV toilet.

These require a miniscule amount of water to flush , almost no maint over decades and dont stink from dead stuff in a sea water flush setup.

If gravity is your friend , you cant go wrong!!

Dometic High Profile 310 Series Gravity Discharge Toilets ...

www.campingworld.com › ... › Toilets › RV Toilets

Last edited:
Raritan Marine Elegance. Best head I ever had. Quiet and no issues!

JohnP

Swim platform. No issues and helps bring you back to nature.

We have a Jabsco Quiet Flush electric freshwater head, and we're reasonably pleased with it.-Chris

I installed two of these in the early nineties. I was a liveaboard and lived twenty years onboard the Heads Up. I never had a single problem with the operation of either head. For the aft head I bought the full size and that's the one I mostly use.

I can say I have seen so many problems with other boaters sanitation systems and the costly issues they have, I am so glad I bought the freshwater Quiet Flush. One neighbor changed out a vacuum system for one and he and his Admiral are thanking me daily for the suggestion.

My only suggestion is learn how to use the dry bowl switch and the fill switch and not to only use the red flush button. You will save water.

Stop showing off! :lol:

:)

Actually, what prompted me for that post was that it's quite common across various forums to see Brand X being both praised and damned in the same thread... when it's actually more about whether the Brand X model in question is electric or manual, freshwater or salt, etc.

-Chris

:)

Actually, what prompted me for that post was that it's quite common across various forums to see Brand X being both praised and damned in the same thread... when it's actually more about whether the Brand X model in question is electric or manual, freshwater or salt, etc.

-Chris

What ever you do don't buy a RM69 electric loo; they are total Cr*p! (Maybe the hint is In the name?:rolleyes:) this blocked more times than I wish to remember, total nightmare.

http://www.rm69.nl/marine-toilet-electric/

That's why I bought the manual jabsco; in all fairness the original plunger has lasted over 7 years without going wrong.

At the moment the plunger doesn't pump, and the pipe is blocked.

Anyone like to come over for free beer and a bit of easy DIY......:blush:

Last edited:
Have y'all noticed that the OP is in Australia??? Price and availability due to shipping costs, import duty, rate of exchange etc are likely to have a major impact on whether any U.S. make/model toilet would actually be the "best" toilet for HIS boat.

Have y'all noticed that the OP is in Australia??? Price and availability due to shipping costs, import duty, rate of exchange etc are likely to have a major impact on whether any U.S. make/model toilet would actually be the "best" toilet for HIS boat.

I think he lives in New Braunfels, TX. Maybe his Aussie accent fooled you.

Back
Top Bottom