Would you shoot one down for invading your privacy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been talking to a drone company about making a drone for offshore fishermen. These guys love filming themselves catching big fish. You wouldn't believe how many GoPro cameras I sell.

The drone would be waterproof of course. It would have a follow me feature so when a fish is hooked, it could be launched and forgotten. While the fish was being fought, the drone would just sit up in the air, following the boat, and filming the action. It would need an auto return to boat feature for when the battery got low. The idea being that once launched, the people in the boat would not worry about it and just catch the fish.

To get one to do all this, it would probably have to sell for between two and a half to three boat bucks maybe more.

If you're not on your own property, it's not legal. If you are on your own property (not often the case for a boat) it might be legal. I believe the US Supreme Court has ruled that the landowner also owns the airspace above his land up to some height. I'm not sure if it's 500' or 1,000'. Anyway, probably higher than most copters fly. That means the drone is trespassing when flying over private property. But, using deadly force is probably not legal.

As appealing as it would be to shoot down a voyeuristic drone (the suggestion of using a 50 cal is my personal favorite) it's probably not the best life choice. Just my 2 cents.

No need to waste ammo, or even make noise for that matter. Electronic warfare is the answer.

Drone Free Zone: How To Build A Radio/Drone Jammer

Apparently highly illegal in the US, but . . . . .

Probably not very good for your onboard electronics suite, or boats near you either. :hide:

That reminds me....

No need to waste ammo, or even make noise for that matter. Electronic warfare is the answer.

Drone Free Zone: How To Build A Radio/Drone Jammer

Apparently highly illegal in the US, but . . . . .
My son returned from an electronic design symposium in Taiping. He gave me a 'cell phone jammer' about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It works like a charm. BUT it is illegal in the US. But boy is it nice to shut up the loudmouths who insist on talking so loud every one near them knows what they and how important they are doing whatever it is they are doing. I try to keep it holstered, since I don't want to danger anyones pacemaker or anything. It only has about a 30' range so wouldn't work on drones. But the idea is a pretty good way to go for them.

Regarding the airspace above someones house. I believe until boats are universally considered a home (and not a vehicle) the privacy laws are difficult to enforce. If something is withing 50' or so, and specifically photographing (and especially recording audio) it is within your right to challenge the photography. But unless video AND audio are on there seems to be not much that can be done to stop it. Prevent it, maybe. but not stop it.

I like to skeet shoot off the sundeck in an anchorage with my 12 gauge. That darn drone flew right in front of my sporting clay. OOPS!

I'm going to just live with it. I'm not going to respond to something I may not like by any illegal act or equipment. I see people proudly post of the retaliatory measures they'd take and others of using illegal cell phone jammers proudly and I don't grasp it honestly. Two wrongs still do not make a right. If you do something to damage the drone, at the least you'll be responsible for the cost and criminal charges could be pressed if a zealous officer got involved. As to the cell phone jamming, I find some of the loud users just as annoying and have been known to tell some of them to take it outside. But there's also a reason the jamming isn't allowed. How would you feel if unknowingly to you someone was trying to dial 911 for emergency assistance.

I hate all the intrusions on privacy. But they see what they see. I'm not doing anything illegal so ultimately it's nosy, it's no different than gossipers and tabloids, it's annoying, but I'm not going to allow it then to cause me duress. Is doing nothing condoning it? I don't think so. If I want it restricted I'll try to work through other channels. Now I also know I have very little influence there, but me knocking it out of the air isn't going to change anything. The only thing it can possibly do is cause me more problems.

So the answer to whether I'd shoot one down is an emphatic NO. I do realize that the answers of many of you are in jest and do find those humorous, but afraid many might take them seriously and afraid some were meant seriously.

It's the internet. What did you expect? Sanity? ROFL.

As you mentioned, I would expect that while most vent, the vast majority would to the right thing.

Now, if the drone becomes a danger to the vessel or passengers aboard, that's a "whole 'nuther story," but nothing to be resolved with firearms.

OD

It's the internet. What did you expect? Sanity? ROFL.
OD

Actually the kind of thing that the internet has been known to get someone on too. Amazing how many criminals have been caught because they posted about it on facebook.

I can see it now. Drone gets tangled in fishing line from someone casting. Here's the interview.

Boater: I was just fishing. It was completely an accident.

Officer: But you posted you would do it on Trawler Forum in advance on March 19.

Boater: Ummmm....I didn't mean it though.

Officer: But you did it so sounds premeditated to me. You'll be charged with 1st degree murder of drone. By the way, just so you know who you killed, the Drone's name was Carlton.

I'd be more concerned with one getting sucked into the engine of a passenger, or any other, jet.
I'll think it won't be too long before it happens.

I'd be more concerned with one getting sucked into the engine of a passenger, or any other, jet.

I'm afraid you're right. People with toys can become dangerous. Just look at how laser pointers have been used. I can picture someone just wanting to see how high they can get their drone.

Actually the kind of thing that the internet has been known to get someone on too. Amazing how many criminals have been caught because they posted about it on facebook."

Yep. People act like facebook and such is their front room. Say, do, show what you want. Don't worry about it, it's private:rofl::rofl:

I don't say anything here that I care if anyone sees.:thumb:

I can see it now. Drone gets tangled in fishing line from someone casting. Here's the interview.

Boater: I was just fishing. It was completely an accident.

Officer: But you posted you would do it on Trawler Forum in advance on March 19.

Boater: Ummmm....I didn't mean it though.

Officer: But you did it so sounds premeditated to me. You'll be charged with 1st degree murder of drone. By the way, just so you know who you killed, the Drone's name was Carlton.

:rofl:That's a great one:thumb:

An overhead camera known as "spidercam" is in use at cricket matches in Australia. It is suspended and positioned on overhead wires, not free, but operates much like a drone. At one point it was low enough and close enough to distract a player in the process of taking a catch. Result: fieldsman distracted, ball dropped, no catch, batsman survived. Lots of press coverage, debate, rule rewriting, followed
My understanding is, in Australia the drone is regarded as an aircraft, but there is zero practical prospect of regulating their operation and flightpath. They have been operated, probably by news gatherers, at forest fires sites, when they are water bombing aircraft pilots are reluctant to operate for fear of collision. Cricket is taken seriously here (well above watching paint dry or grass grow). The cricket incident points up the risk and danger of distraction, which could affect a boat operator. I`d be equally concerned by operator error and being hit by one,many operators will not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

I will say they can be very useful for taking aerial photos, etc. I needed some pictures of some rural property for sale. The son of a friend brought out his 4 motor drone with video/still camera and sent it up. We got some great pictures on the spot, viewed and selected from his computer screen. In the past that is something we would have had to rent a plane $$ to go up and take them from. I read recently lifeguards were using them to drop inflatable floats to swimmers in distress.

Just like everything else in America, nothing will be done until a crowd full of people die from an incident. Proactive is not in the vocabulary. When one gets sucked into an engine and brings a commercial jet down, then the FAA will step in. Until that happens, they will be tied up trying to resolve the already crowded airspace and poorly designed traffic control systems.

I would say that if you do bring a drone down, your best bet is to destroy the evidence so the situation is your word vs. theirs and have no witnesses. Good luck :)

"When one gets sucked into an engine and brings a commercial jet down, then the FAA will step in"

The simple loss of an engine will not bring a commercial jet down.

Old solution to a new problem

The new look of future anchorages?

britlcts.jpg

While I agree that you may "feel" invaded, it is still free space and even if it does become illegal, you would be the one paying damages for property destruction.

If they are taking pictures of you..the guy flying it may have video of your counterattack.

I would say if the thing is close enough to have you stick an extended boat hook into its rotors, that may get you some sympathy from a judge unless it's good Ole boy country.

I would certainly side with any cruiser about undue annoyances in an anchorage, but I still think you would get yourself tangled up in something more stressful than the drone issue.

That said, let me get mine airborne to video and you tube your counterattack...:D

So why is ok for the individual to invade my space but not ok for me to defend my space? In other words why is he afforded greater protection than I? :popcorn:

So why is ok for the individual to invade my space but not ok for me to defend my space? In other words why is he afforded greater protection than I? :popcorn:

I think the problem is the in-discriminant firing of projectiles into the air that may pose a problem.

Defense of "your space" needs to be defined, how much of the air around you is "yours"? Can I disable your radio if it offends me, your boat, your laptop?

I for one would take a dim view if sharing an anchorage with someone firing at some drone nearby.

I do like the kite flying or casting practice idea however. :thumb:

I wonder how a high power light/laser would effect a camera on a drone, would a spotlight prevent someone from viewing you, signal mirror?

Because it's not "Your Space" even if you think of it as such. By current laws, what he's doing it legal and for you to retaliate is illegal. You say "defend my space". Defend it against what? A camera? Is it a deadly camera? I would understand the word "defend" if you are breaking the law and need that not to be seen, but otherwise that's probably not the right word. It would be like defending yourself against your name ever being used on the internet.

It's not his space either, so if we are sharing space than I will share it with a projectile.

Great, now I need goggles and a white silk scarf also

It's not his space either, so if we are sharing space than I will share it with a projectile.

Perhaps more then one, and more then just yours. ;) We do live in FloraDuh!

PS. Be sure to complain loudly when new rules about where and when you can anchor come out, after shooting at the landowners kids toys next to where you are spending the night. :thumb:

I for one want to thank you for representing us boaters as tough neck-beards defending their space, the image we have now is way to nice. :huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom